SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
termite
termite is a jewel in the roughtermite is a jewel in the roughtermite is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2
Default Fuel Filter Bracket Bolts

I have an ’01 SC2 and plan to change the fuel filter when I have nice weather. The filter was last changed at the dealer @ 13 years ago. I was wondering help much luck everyone here had at removing these 2 bracket bolts without breaking them. Today I used a heat gun to help bend the plastic tube from my can of WD40. I was able to spray a good amount in the larger hole towards where the 2 bolts come through on the other side. I will give them a week to soak. Hopefully I can loosen them without snapping them. Has anyone else tried this, or have any tips on removing these bracket bolts? Thanks in advance!

It's GOOD to have a spare!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to termite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help termite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
termite is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2
Default Re: Fuel Filter Bracket Bolts

I recently watched the RichPin video and he greased his bolts ten years ago after doing the first fuel filter change. They came out for him with no trouble. He knows how they snap easily. I like your soaking them with WD-40 method.

I wonder if there’s a safe way to heat them up? ...like pressing a soldering iron tip to the heads.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #3
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

In the salt belt, those just snap right off. There's no amount of penetrant that will save you here and using heat would be dangerous near fuel.

I usually just snap the heads off to remove the plastic shroud and change the filter. I then shoot in self tapping stainless screws near it's original location.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #4
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Mine busted. I drilled and tapped for SAE bolts. They have been installed with anti-seize.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #5
termite
termite is a jewel in the roughtermite is a jewel in the roughtermite is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Well I guess if they break, I may drill holes and use those plastic rivets with the center you can push in to lock in place.

It's GOOD to have a spare!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to termite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help termite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #6
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

On a Saturn SL1, it is unnecessary to remove the 2 bolts that hold the bracket in place for the fuel pressure regulator. You simply squeeze and remove the 2 quick release plastic fasteners to remove the front and back fuel line from the fuel pressure regulator and then pull out the fuel pressure regulator toward the back of the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:30 AM   #7
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Using WD40 as a penetrant oil is foisting the largest Internet Rumor in the history of the Amazing Internet

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

^ ^ ^ Yeah, that is just good WD40 marketing. I don't have WD40 any more as I seldom need Water Displacing spray

PB Blaster, Kano labs stuff (Kroil, etc) and something else I can never remember the name of (orange can)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlee View Post
On a Saturn SL1, it is unnecessary to remove the 2 bolts that hold the bracket in place for the fuel pressure regulator. You simply squeeze and remove the 2 quick release plastic fasteners to remove the front and back fuel line from the fuel pressure regulator and then pull out the fuel pressure regulator toward the back of the car.
It's has been many years since I changed the filter on my SL2, but pretty sure I did not touch the bolts. Just squeezed it out at mentioned here

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:12 AM   #9
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

WD-40 is kind of like the duck tape of fluids in a can. It's definitely meant for one thing but people kinda just use it for everything. Lubeication, penatrating fluid, cheap car polish, etc.

97 SL2, auto, 118K miles