SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
AJR
Advanced Member
AJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Saturn vs Subaru

Haven't been around in a while (lots of life stuff getting in the way). Both our Saturns are getting old and had some troublesome stretches, so we ended up with a new 2015 Subaru Outback and I figured I'd give some comparisons.

We decided to keep 'both' Saturns for now ('96 SL2 and '02 L200). They are high mileage and wouldn't bring much anyway.

This Subaru is highly touted as a pretty tough vehicle, suitable for off road use. It's a safe vehicle and has kept a lot of people alive in crashes, but it's far from tough.

The paint is really tender and practically scratches when you breath on it and of course, the doors dent with the lightest touch (man, plastic spoiled me). I'm also on my second windshield (first replacements in 40 years of car ownership). Many Outback owners are on their 3rd, 4th and even 5th windshield.

My Saturns still look great. Of course no dents, but I'm really amazed at how tough the paint is compared to the Outback. Subaru bragged about their sound system too and it doesn't sound nearly as good as the one on our L200. I really don't see Subaru surpassing my Saturn experience at this point. We'll see if the Outback lasts as long.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2016, 10:50 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Saturn vs Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
I really don't see Subaru surpassing my Saturn experience at this point. We'll see if the Outback lasts as long.

Andy
I thought the only real advantage to a SUby was their more robust and active AWD system,, at least when considering the older models.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:59 PM   #3
AJR
Advanced Member
AJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Honestly, I haven't really had a chance to test the AWD very much. We thought we'd need it in the snow, but I don't think it has snowed more than an inch or two since we bought it. I love winter and this thing is a jinx! LOL!

I will say that the Outback has a ton of room and the tightest turning radius of any vehicle I've had. I was rather surprised by it.

Certainly the payload blows my Saturns out of the water and I have hauled a lot of stuff in it. I wonder how the room compares to the two Vue models Saturn made. The later model Vue doesn't look very big.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Another place where the Outback compares favorably to the L200 at least, is the super easy oil change. I was really happy to see another company designing their engine with the oil filter up on top.

I always do my own oil change, so that sealed the deal for me when we looked at it. It's actually easier than the L200, since there is so much ground clearance, the drain plug is a breeze to reach.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Old 07-05-2016, 05:44 AM   #5
NCdad
NCdad is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2001 SL1

My son, who also loves the Saturn SL1 with manual transmission has transitioned over to a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek. I live in North Carolina as I did when I bought the Saturn new in 2001. We all drove it and I still have it. He bought the Crosstrek when he moved to Colorado. He claims the Subaru is more suited to the terrain and heavy snowfalls that occur there. Subaru is a VERY popular car brand in Colorado ! My son also needed more room to haul stuff. The original tires on our Saturn were rated for 45K miles and lasted that long. The original tires on the Subaru were rated at 35K miles and lasted only 32K. I had never seen such a short lived tire come with a new car! The only criticism I heard about Subaru came from a Car Talk episode. It claimed that Subaru's were prone for blowing head gaskets at 100K miles. He wondered if they finally cured that. I have not told my son that. I don't want to throw cold water on his enthusiasm for his new Subaru. I will wait a few years. Other than that, I consider comparisons between Subaru and the SL series to be like comparing apples to oranges. They are two different cars that excel in different markets.

Last edited by NCdad; 07-05-2016 at 05:55 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NCdad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NCdad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NCdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I've seen quite a lot regarding the HG issue. Most of the talk seemed to be about pre 2013 models.

Supposedly, they solved the HG issues when they went to chain driven engines, however, that brought about some problems with oil consumption. I'm no expert on this subject though.

I agree that some comparisons are apples to oranges (totally different types of vehicles), but it's still fine to compare dependability and quality of materials/design.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Old 07-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #7
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCdad View Post
He claims the Subaru is more suited to the terrain and heavy snowfalls that occur there. Subaru is a VERY popular car brand in Colorado !
This makes sense to me. A friend who lives in a mountain community in San Bernadino County owns a Crosstrek and says that many other residents also drive Subarus for the same reasons you wrote about. One sees fewer of these vehicles in the big cities and suburbs of the L A or Orange Counties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCdad View Post
They are two different cars that excel in different markets.
Yes, well said, this is definitely the case! (An aside, but an important one: this is also a benefit of capitalism and the free market. We can choose the product which best suits our needs. Imagine what it would be like if we had no choice, but to purchase only one type of automobile or truck. That would be awful!)

329,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #8
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
this is also a benefit of capitalism and the free market. We can choose the product which best suits our needs.
Yes, but I wish we had many more choices of vehicles with plastic body panels.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Old 07-13-2016, 12:05 PM   #9
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Ironically, our old Saturn dealer is now the Subaru dealer. Same sales personel and service dept. So far I've heard several old Saturn customers say that they are getting same quality of service and are having similar if not better experiences with Subaru as with their Saturns. I've sort of jumped ship to Volvo, but may eventually get some type of Subaru one day. Maybe one of each to balance things out.

2008 Vue RL--traded
2011 Volvo C30--mine
2011 Volvo XC60-wife's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike08vue View Post
Ironically, our old Saturn dealer is now the Subaru dealer. Same sales personel and service dept. So far I've heard several old Saturn customers say that they are getting same quality of service and are having similar if not better experiences with Subaru as with their Saturns...
That would have been a dream come true for me, but when Saturn was closed up, I was left without a decent option for service. The Saturn dealers that I had my best experience with became empty, weedy lots.

I did go for service at a GM, Authorized Saturn Service dealer, but the experience with my L200 was horrid and expensive. I can't ever go back and I'm still struggling to find a mechanic for my Saturns.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation