SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
djsmoove
djsmoove is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
Default Ticking from the drivers side.

have a question. i just started hearing a ticking from the drivers side tosay of my 2000 sc2 thought a nail was in the tire but if im just letting the car roll on its own power without giving gas to it . it wont tick at low speed like just put ur car in drive and dont give it gas i dont here it.. now when i start to give it gass and it gets up to speed i say over 30 mph then thats when i hear the ticking. on the way home i was on the highway going about 40 and i heard it.. i put the car in nutral and reved up the engine and it didnt get worse it stayed the same.. no nail in tire i pulled the tire off and looked.. i cnt see anyh groove marks anywhere on the tire or the brake disc either. its only when i drive .. i can have the car parked and the engine on give it gave bny reving and i dont hear it.. only when im driving.. i know its comming from the drivers side cause when i passed by a car the ticking sound bounced off the car and was loud.. has anyone had this issue with their saturn.. i must add i do have a bad valve body and am ordering a new one monday from the king of vv on here.. is it something in the transmission?? please help.. im getting pissed at this car now.. seems like everytime i get a head i get pushed back. i also got 2 used tires for front whick threw my alignment off a tad bit it pulls to the left side a lil? does this have something to do with it? it never happen b4... any ideas?
djsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
djsmoove

2000 SC2
Default Re: Ticking from the drivers side.

wow no one has had this issue?
Old 09-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
ZepSL2
ZepSL2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmoove View Post
wow no one has had this issue?
For me the closest to that was a pebble stuck in my tire tread but that was easy to figure out cause the faster i went the faster the click. You do not hear it at slower speeds cause pebble is not hitting street hard/fast enough to get a nice clean loud click sound.

anyway is the ticking constant or does the tempo increase the faster you go?
How about RPM... constant tempo no matter what the RPM?
1999 SL2 DOHC
ZepSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
djsmoove

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZepSL2 View Post
For me the closest to that was a pebble stuck in my tire tread but that was easy to figure out cause the faster i went the faster the click. You do not hear it at slower speeds cause pebble is not hitting street hard/fast enough to get a nice clean loud click sound.

anyway is the ticking constant or does the tempo increase the faster you go?
How about RPM... constant tempo no matter what the RPM?
no onlt when i hit 27 miles per hr plis when im breaking it stops st 27 mph. i took the tire off completly and rotated it and didnt see anything.. im gonna check againas for rpm i can drive and when i it (i.e.) 50mph and put the car in nutrual i can hear it until ithe mph says 27 it stops.....
Old 09-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nice

1999 SC2
1999 SL2

CV joint or compromised CV boot, perhaps? Is it noticeably worse when turning the wheel to the left or right?
jambra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
djsmoove

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambra1 View Post
CV joint or compromised CV boot, perhaps? Is it noticeably worse when turning the wheel to the left or right?
if im not mistaken when i turn righ it lessona a lil but i do slow down when turning but i also will say at the car wash right b4 i noticed it.. i was sitting in my car it was off and i had to get my keys out of my pocket so i braced myself by pressing the break in all the way and was able to get my hand in my pocket... my breaks wer just changed about 3 months ago and now i do notice a sqweek when i stop and break... i dont know id its cause of the alignment cause getting those new tires did throw it off cause it pulls to the left now when b4 having them replaced it didnt do it...that dang ticking.. i have to turn the system up just to deadiin the ticking... but in the back of my mind i hear it lol..
Old 09-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nice

1999 SC2
1999 SL2

Have you checked your tire pressure, particularly on the front left? Also, have you taken a look at the brake caliper with the tire/wheel off?

Pulling to the left could indicate low tire pressure, sticking brake caliper or poor alignment among other things.

I was thinking you might have a nail or screw in that front left tire if it is low on pressure and clicking. However, you said you looked at it thoroughly off the car. Just wondering, though.
jambra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
djsmoove

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambra1 View Post
Have you checked your tire pressure, particularly on the front left? Also, have you taken a look at the brake caliper with the tire/wheel off?

Pulling to the left could indicate low tire pressure, sticking brake caliper or poor alignment among other things.

I was thinking you might have a nail or screw in that front left tire if it is low on pressure and clicking. However, you said you looked at it thoroughly off the car. Just wondering, though.
i did pull it off that day when i got home.. but the caliper was hot to touch im thinking its simething within the brake itself wheather its the caliper or something in that area.. im gonna look tomorrow by pulling the tire off againl.. just came from cleaning that baby up.. lookin all good but the damn ticking and no reverse.. just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar issue with this and or if it can be a ball joint or some thing that is a sign that something is going bad.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
djsmoove

2000 SC2

WELL IT TURNED OUT to be the dang balancing thing on the tire when they balance them... i noticed it was loose when leaving work today.. i took it off and left work as usual.. i did crank up my tunes.. but then i was like hold up.. im going 35 mpg where is the ticking... i turned the mute on and spead up to 50.. nothing... ecen stop to look at it and i hit the road again.. just to see. and nothing... so that is secure.. i know now man used tires.... food tred but dang why the tick.. so now i gotta go back and get em balanced.. plus a alignment.. good thing is i know it aint nothing wrong thats gonna cost more doe... what a load off.. thanks to the members who gave me insite tho.. i do thank u for that