SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
dj1111
dj1111 is a jewel in the roughdj1111 is a jewel in the roughdj1111 is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
1995 SC2
Default OEM motor mounts OMG!!!

I have to share my recent motor mount experience. Going back a few years I decided to replace all the mounts in my 2000 SL2 and was looking for the best deal at the time. I knew some noise and vibration was normal but was looking to reduce it so I replaced them all. The motor mount, trans mount and both torque struts. Bought them all at AZone. To my unpleasant shock they did not reduce vibration or noise at all. In fact they made it worse. So I walked away with my tail between my legs and very depressed. I thought the vibration was something I'd have to live with. I eventually went around the interior of my car with rubber foam strips to reduce some of the vibrations. Oh and did I mention the noise. The new mounts significantly increased the transfer of engine and trans noise to the interior. And it really got bad in the winter when the mount's rubber was cold and hard.

About 6 months ago I started to see posts in Saturnfans about the need for only OEM mounts. I kinda shrugged it off for a while but finally about 2 weeks ago I bit the bullet and ordered all 4 mounts and struts from a Saturn/GM parts dealer. It would not be an exaggeration to say the OEM parts reduced noise and vibration to almost an unnoticeable level. When I first started the car after the install I had to listen real hard to see if the engine was running. I would say the decrease in noise and vibration is somewhere around 98%. NO KIDDING!!! Almost had tears in my eyes.

And I did the final loosening and retightening of the bracket for the trans torque strut. I didn't think it would make much of a difference but the bracket moved very noticeably after loosening the second screw allowing the tension to release from the strut. So yes this is important.

One of the 2 plus year old struts I removed was completely shot. The rubber in the larger end of the dog bone was in pieces.

So to sum it all up... DON'T PURCHASE ANYTHING BUT OEM MOUNTS. DON'T BE SEDUCED BY CHEAPER PRICES. This could be one of the most significant improvements to your wonderful Saturn.

When I was younger I drove a lifted 4x4 truck with over sized tires. Needed a ladder to get into it. Now at 55 I drive an SL2 and need a ladder to get out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dj1111's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dj1111 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dj1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
rowdydog
Advanced Member
rowdydog has a spectacular aura aboutrowdydog has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
Default Re: OEM motor mounts OMG!!!

Yeah every time I go to pull a part I get a few, found couple off sohc engines in good shape, $6 lol,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rowdydog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rowdydog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rowdydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
djsmoove
djsmoove is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2

ok.. so u really made me sit and think.. i was on auto zone site with a top mount in my cart but now im gonna bite it as well and order factory one as well.. can u send me or post the link on here or im me please..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djsmoove's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djsmoove reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Top Engine Mount 21012185
long studs 11518885 use these if replacing a frowny mount and there are NO threads showing above the nuts.
Top mount nuts (5) 21006320
Transaxle Mount 21012951

The metal part that is bolted to the timing cover is different thickness depending on the mount and is easy to measure.
Frowny Mount 1.275" ~1 9/32"
Solid Mount 1.475" ~1 15/32"
The good mount is ~3/16 thicker than the frowny mount.

Saturn OEM Parts Source
GM Parts Giant- http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/
GM Parts Direct- http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
Get Saturn Parts- http://www.trademotion.com/splash/in...?siteid=214643

If you have the mid 97 or newer torque struts(dogbones) you can replace the rubber inserts with the polly inserts and it will be considerably lower cost. If your idle is smooth and the engine does not shake appreciably now they will work. Prothane inserts. They're only ~$30.00 from Summit. And that will do both dogbones. Part # PTP-7-510

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
dj1111
dj1111 is a jewel in the roughdj1111 is a jewel in the roughdj1111 is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
1995 SC2

If you're going to do the upper motor mount I would do the lower trans mount as well. The dog bone struts are not as big a deal especially if they are in good shape. I really think it was the trans mount that made the biggest difference.

I ordered them from http://www.saturnparts.com/. They were great to work with and have been very helpful with some other repairs we are going to do on my son's 95 SC2.

I also ordered, at the same time, new left and right front fender liners. Last winter was real hard on the drivers side. It had some major ice buildup between the wheel and liner and after hitting a large bump in the road (more ice) it tore a big hole in it. Then my wife hit something on the passenger side (we won't go into details) and split the passenger side liner wide open. The fit was perfect and the repair was very easy.

When I was younger I drove a lifted 4x4 truck with over sized tires. Needed a ladder to get into it. Now at 55 I drive an SL2 and need a ladder to get out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dj1111 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
FredM
FredM is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
long studs 11518885 use these if replacing a frowny mount and there are NO threads showing above the nuts.
Transaxle Mount 21012951

The metal part that is bolted to the timing cover is different thickness depending on the mount and is easy to measure.

Saturn OEM Parts Source
GM Parts Giant- http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/
GM Parts Direct- http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
Get Saturn Parts- http://www.trademotion.com/splash/in...?siteid=214643

If you have the mid 97 or newer torque struts(dogbones) you can replace the rubber inserts with the polly inserts and it will be considerably lower cost. If your idle is smooth and the engine does not shake appreciably now they will work. Prothane inserts. They're only ~$30.00 from Summit. And that will do both dogbones. Part # PTP-7-510
I was at Harry's U-pull-it this weekend and picked up two pair of 3rd gen dog bones, $8 each. Found two of them on the ground, didn't even have to turn a wrench!

Put one pair on my daughter's car and it cured all the clunking from the shredded-rubber after-market bones. The other pair I plan to re-do with the prothane inserts.

Neither a borrower nor a lender be... -- William Shakespeare

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FredM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FredM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
dj1111

2000 SL2
1995 SC2

I replaced all 4 parts for just over $200. And the install is easy. I consider it a small price to pay for such a major improvement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #8
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Could also be that the OEM upper mount for your model year was the frowny.

My '99, I believe, came with the brick mount. Replaced it with another brick, and vibration was reduced, but in no way eliminated. Replaced with a NAPA frowny (they're the only aftermarket in town that sells this mount), and I almost couldn't hear the engine.

...So it might not be the manufacturer, but rather the type, but still it could be the manufacturer.

I have to say that everyone (aftermarket) who produces mounts for my '51 Chevrolet produces stiff junk. I foolishly took the original GM mounts off and threw them away when I rebuilt the engine back in like 2002. Since then the engine was stiffer and vibrated more (though still silky smooth in comparison to any Saturn, or 4 cylinder, for that matter, except maybe new Toyotas), and I went through a left motor mount almost once a year (it was a poorly designed mount system to begin with, but the cheap aftermarket crap made things worse). Cheap mounts aside, however, I was amazed this summer when I started the engine on year old gas and it ran perfectly without any misfires. Soooooooooooooooo smooth!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

On tranny mount. Bought a third party (Anchor branded) mount as a replacement, was worse (more compressed) than the 14 year old original. Ultimately I instaleld a new OEM mount. See my photos for comparison.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
djsmoove
djsmoove is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2

http://www.oemparts123.com/?i=2&mode...imagecallout=1

is this the part as for factory replacement. i emailed them to see just a few seconds ago..

nrvrtmind.. i put in 21012185 part number and it came u[... 62.000 and 9.00 shipping ... ordered!!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djsmoove's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djsmoove reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #11
dj1111

2000 SL2
1995 SC2

A follow up. My wife drove the Saturn today. You'll never hear me say she's a typical woman and wouldn't notice if one of the wheels broke of the car but well, enough of that. She was amazed at the difference. Said it was like driving a new car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

And when she's happy, you're happy

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

Mounts wear out on all cars, especially FWD. I just did all new OEM mounts on my wife's honda odyssey (~$350!) and the difference there is profound as well. Of course, the big one on that is oil filled and hooked to the vacuum system for variable stiffness...

For my 1995, I found an Autozone that sold the better solid style (non-frowny) top mount for $35. They also had the bad ones on the shelf, so be picky. It was made by DEA and it is so identical to OEM I suspect they are the OEM supplier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manualman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Anchor is one of the sources for the OEM mount.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Happy Wife = Happy Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
And when she's happy, you're happy

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #16
cmfazio000
cmfazio000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Transaxle Mount 21012951

Will these work for a 97 SC2???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cmfazio000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cmfazio000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cmfazio000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Works on all 92-02 Saturn engines. Check present mount type and stud lengths

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #18
cmfazio000
cmfazio000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Works on all 92-02 Saturn engines. Check present mount type and stud lengths
I have the good engine mount. Just wanted to make sure that both the Engine and Transaxle mounts listed above would fit. GM parts direct will not refund these parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cmfazio000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cmfazio000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cmfazio000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #19
td1238
Master Member

1999 SL2

The solid top mount from AutoZone was noisy for me as well. I switched to a frowny mount from NAPA, and my '99 is almost silent in warmer weather, but rather loud in very cold weather. The mount is about 3 years old now, and works great in warm weather.

Funny thing is I put the same NAPA frowny mount on my '01, and it was super quiet, but now it's just ridiculously loud. I've tried all of the tricks I tried with the '99--greasing it with silicone grease, adjusting it over and over, but it won't quiet down. ...So I will have to look into getting OEM mounts for that car, and see if they make a difference.

Are you using the solid OEM mount or the frowny OEM mount?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2014, 01:15 AM   #20
td1238
Master Member

1999 SL2

I took the mount off of the '01 SL2 this evening, and it has sagged and is hard, so that is likely the cause of excessive vibration. Interestingly it is at least a year newer than the exact same mount on my '99 SL2, which is super quiet, but my '99 SL2 is completely rebuilt, so it runs exceptionally smoothly.

Both mounts are frowny mounts made by Anchor, and I bought them at NAPA. Interesting that one would work so well and the other would be so incredibly loud.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!