djsmoove
djsmoove is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
Default cleaning and changing stuff help

ok just a few questions real basic.
just need a few opinions.
im planing on fixing a few things..

plugs and wires.
i shop at advanceauto so if i can have a recommended part number as for both plugs and wires. i see the site does have exact fit for my saturn sc2 dohc. just wanna make sure that the plug wires arent too tall when fitting down on the plugs.
also on the distrib cap should i clean the pins that the wires connect too? if so what should i use?
i know the gap is 0.040 and to double check it.. also seen tuneup grease as well to use on plug tip b4 placing back

oil change
my car has 179994miles on it. which type of oil and filter to use. also should i use an additive when i do like i.e. slick 50 or sumthing?

cleaning egr valve
will just regular carb cleaner will work? well it has never been changed do u thing it wouldnt hurt to change it?

throttle body
never ever cleaned it b4 i seen vids with just regular carb bleaner just wanna make sure that it correct.

recently had my water pump and thermstat changed in sept last yr.. should i do thermost too?

when placing what i take off will i need a torque wrench? or just regular tools? and also mainly on the throttle body and the sparkplugs are they to be torque.

please excuse my sill no nonsense questions
as always my saturn gurus i want to thank u in advance for all your help
djsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: cleaning and changing stuff help

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmoove View Post
ok just a few questions real basic.
just need a few opinions.
im planing on fixing a few things..

plugs and wires.
i shop at advanceauto so if i can have a recommended part number as for both plugs and wires. i see the site does have exact fit for my saturn sc2 dohc. just wanna make sure that the plug wires arent too tall when fitting down on the plugs.
also on the distrib cap should i clean the pins that the wires connect too? if so what should i use?
i know the gap is 0.040 and to double check it.. also seen tuneup grease as well to use on plug tip b4 placing back

Use NGK plugs and regular AC Delco or equivalent wires. You don't need anything fancy for plugs and wires. Use Dialectric Grease when replacing plugs and wires.

oil change
my car has 179994miles on it. which type of oil and filter to use. also should i use an additive when i do like i.e. slick 50 or sumthing?

Use 5W-30; 4 quarts of oil. Standard oil filter. I use STP #3614 filter in my cars.

cleaning egr valve
will just regular carb cleaner will work? well it has never been changed do u thing it wouldnt hurt to change it?

wouldn't hurt to do, but do you have any codes for the EGR valve?

throttle body
never ever cleaned it b4 i seen vids with just regular carb bleaner just wanna make sure that it correct.

Get Thottle Body Cleaner, and remove the Throttle Body from the car to clean up.

recently had my water pump and thermstat changed in sept last yr.. should i do thermost too?

Change it out with a STANT higher temp T-stat. I think the part number is 14579?

when placing what i take off will i need a torque wrench? or just regular tools? and also mainly on the throttle body and the sparkplugs are they to be torque.

please excuse my sill no nonsense questions
as always my saturn gurus i want to thank u in advance for all your help
My answers in Bold... above.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
djsmoove

2000 SC2

THANKS MAN.. AS FOR CODES THO... i have 2 they didnt give me numbers but said misfire code and also 2rn gear ratio is off.. and the gear thing is due to my valve body.... reverse went out.. got a bonus on my check so ordering valve from the king tomorrow once direct dep hits the bank and then getting the listed above fixed. then get the flex pipe fixes.. i made a thead about a whole but its the dang flex.. per shadytree shop put it on a lift for free. and i seen it... totally commin from the mesh area.. its kinda de-threaded wheere the hole is tho but no worries.. i will get one just gotta sound like my 90 honda prelude for a while lol... once again man.. thans a mill.. i was reading threw the posts and i think u had responded to someone asking about a sl and he wanted to know the quality of wires to get.. lol same here.. sorry for the repeat question just wanted to make sure since he had an sl and i have an sc2.... u rock dude.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Welcome. NGK copper plugs are the best option for the saturn s-series engine.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
djsmoove

2000 SC2

thats what i have been reading... i just seen ur saturn has 300000 plus miles? wow... im trying to learn all i can about this car and do as much as i cn to save money... this site and people like you is what matters to me.. alot of people may look at the post and not respond and i know its repeated questions but u know how u wanna be sure lol thats me thanks again ... oh and one more favor if u will..

in pensacola florida advanceautoparts has
xact plugs wire set Part No. 3148 $16.99
autolite professional series wireset Part No. 96870 $22.99

is it ok to go with the low price ones?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmoove View Post

is it ok to go with the low price ones?
For spark plugs and wires, yes.
2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
djsmoove

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
For spark plugs and wires, yes.
THANKS BRO.. I JUST PLACED THE ONLINE ORDER AND GOT THE LIL DISCOUNT TOO ANY ORDER OVER 75 DOLLARS FET 30 DOLLARS OFF.. also instead of vleaning my egr valve i got another one with the discount you saturn gurus are saving me some major cash and tv i thank u man