SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
djsmoove
djsmoove is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
Default PLEASE HELP!!! ignition switch maybe

im in need of a valve body. but thats in the works.. the issue that happen yesterday i went to drop my twins off at daycare and when i got back into the car the car would not start. no fuses. new starter and batt. removed the 1000 watt amp and still nothing.. tried connecting a lil jumper off and nothing.. my wife came top get me and an hr later well about an hr and 45 min later we called a tow truck to have it toed to where i got the battery.. when we got back to the car to meet the toe truck the car started. tow truck guy tested the battery and it was good. drove it to advance where i got the batt from and they tested it and the alt and both wer good.

(Extra note now i will tell you for several years i have been able to start the car and remove the key!!!!!)
now that i have said that im gonna finish the story.

Everything worked ok form that point. Took my car home and was looking at richpins vids cleaned the car and didnít wanna connect my amp back up due to me thinking it was my battery that made the car die.

Got up this morning and the car started fine. Then I turned it off and tried to start it and nothing. Not I did notice that if I wiggle the key that the security thing would start blinking sometimes and also my radio would have a lil power. I could turn the key and nothing then I could turn the key to the on position and here the chime and try to start it and nothing. I think itís the ignition switch due to the fact when I wiggle it a little it get the chime but when turn to start nothing... any idea if im correct on this.
I hope its not too much trouble
thanks again for this site and its community

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djsmoove's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djsmoove reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Default Re: PLEASE HELP!!! ignition switch maybe

If you connect a volt meter between the small center terminal of the starter motor solenoid and a bare metal item on the chassis (such as a shiny bolt or the engine block--painted or rusted won't work well), the volt meter should read about 12 volts whenever the key is turned to the 'start' position. If not, then the ignition switch and/or associated solenoid wiring is faulty. Start by wiggling the connection, as it can corrode, or turn the nut with a 10mm wrench. Loosen it and then tighten it. Disconnect the battery while doing this so that you don't accidentally short against anything. If you cannot correct the issue at the solenoid connection, then the ignition switch may be at fault.

If everything in the car otherwise works well, including the headlights, then the battery connection to the fender junction box is probably in good condition.

If the starter motor by chance does make a clunking noise when the key is turned, then it is more likely that the starter solenoid contacts are worn. The solenoid is sold as a separate unit, or you can replace the entire motor-solenoid assembly.

Another method that sometimes works is to take your tire iron, which is located under the spare tire. Open the engine hood and look down through the intake manifold. Locate the starter motor. Feed the tire iron down through the intake manifold so that it contacts the starter motor squarely. Then deliver a solid blow to the starter motor. If the starter motor now works, it likely has corroded connections. If so, disconnect the battery and remove the starter motor. Clean all of the connections. Now would also be a good time to examine the motor brushes. They are available from NAPA, but are special-order from Virginia, only. They are far less expensive than a new starter motor.

While examining the brush assembly, take note that there is a small piece of phenolic material on top of each brush, between the brush and the brush tension spring. These phenolic pieces are insulators. Without them the tensioning spring will form a direct short across the brushes. If you disassemble this assembly, be sure that the phenolic pieces get put back between the brushes and their tensioning springs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
djsmoove

2000 SC2

thats more than what i thought. let me ask. there is no power what so ever to the car. with the key insode and even if u turn the key to on. does that still have to do with the starter and or solenoid. and would the ignition key switch have something to do with it? im just asking. due to when i mess with the key switch with a screw driver while the hey is in side the hole it starts chiming but when i try to turn everything dies. i just seen richpins vid on removing the ignition switch.. gotta dang there take off the wholedash lol..
btw thanks for the quick response
im at work and cant function cause this issue. why does everything happen to me lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help djsmoove reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
djsmoove

2000 SC2
Default can i have some free advise on hthis asap

ok now im outside trying to figure out what the hell is the problem. i left work. and was just outside .. put the hey in and nothing after turning it. nor do i hear the chime and al of a sudden i heard the chime and i had my dome light on and it was very dim. i touched the keys in the ignition andp pushed firmly up them in an upward motion and the dome light suddenly got real bright. after a few seconds of the dome light being bright i tried to crank and just a chk and everything went off. messed with it some more and the dome light brighten again and what i did was turn the car into on and i heard a tik tik tik tik ??????? what is that/ it was comming from the passanger side of the dash... about to check the batt term. but i cleaned them when i replaced the battery a few days ago. im starting to think it has sumthing to do with the igitio switch... due to the looseness of the switch and how i can pull the key out. plus also im thinking the factory security is locked up but please correct me if im wrong..well be back in a few hope to have some guidance on this... thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

Check your main battery grounds on the side of the engine and under the air cleaner box. Follow the black wire(s) from the - battery terminal. A bad ground can make electricity flow in very strange ways.

Check the power supply to the fuse box in the engine compartment (the smaller red wire coming off the + battery terminal). Also check the connection of the large red wire at the starter. Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery before poking around with the positive side connections.

The key coming out while running is a mechanical issue with the lock cylinder, and is not related to the ignition switch other than the fact that they are physically connected. That doesn't mean you don't have a bad ignition switch, but the key issue does not confirm or imply that you do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
djsmoove

2000 SC2

both of you are totally right and thanks a million.. i should have checked the dang batt cable first i only unplugged the neg batt cable when it first happen but it was the pos.. when i changed the battery i dont think i put the screw threw the o ring connector cause if the big red plastic piece.. when i took off the pos batt cable i only seen hald of it.. then i took the red housing off and notices all the corrosion lol... i started jumping around and the neighbor said hey david did u get shocked.. i said no ma am i found the problem with the car and she started laughin.... thanks for the dang on saturnfans forum!!! i so love all yall for the help.. both of u get reps from me!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
td1238
Master Member

1999 SL2

Glad you fixed it.

It's been the positive battery connection for me, and then, being hasty and neglectful, it was the red battery wire that connects to the left fender junction box. All of a sudden one day the car is cutting out when I apply the brakes (all those lights are a large electrical load, which collapses the alternator field without the battery as a back-up), and things like that, and sometimes it won't start, and the whole car is dead. Well, that darn connection needs a cleaning and greasing every so often, and I forgot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
djsmoove

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by td1238 View Post
Glad you fixed it.

It's been the positive battery connection for me, and then, being hasty and neglectful, it was the red battery wire that connects to the left fender junction box. All of a sudden one day the car is cutting out when I apply the brakes (all those lights are a large electrical load, which collapses the alternator field without the battery as a back-up), and things like that, and sometimes it won't start, and the whole car is dead. Well, that darn connection needs a cleaning and greasing every so often, and I forgot.
lol i hear ya... and thats what i forgot ... the grease im on my way to get some now lol....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
td1238
Master Member

1999 SL2

Silicone is best, as it doesn't solidify with age.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!