SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Mercedes takes over Smart cars from Penske

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...car15_ST_N.htm

Penske is out of the car business. It was probably a good thing the Satiurn acquisition never happened. I suspect Jill will be retiring, unless she can market rental trucks...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
TaylorMutts
TaylorMutts is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Mercedes takes over Smart cars from Penske

Actually, Penske Automotive still has about 300 dealerships in the US and UK. He may not be in the distributor side of the business, but he is clearly still on the selling side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TaylorMutts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TaylorMutts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TaylorMutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

2 for 2 Jill, amazing!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Actually, the acquisition was driven by Daimler in order to combat CAFE standards here in the US. With Penske distributing the smart brand, MB was not able to fold them under their umbrella for EPA purposes. The US was the only area where smart was not being distributed by Daimler directly.

I'm not saddened by the loss of the Renault/Nissan 4 seat car. The first generation forfour was a *******ized Mitsu Colt and wasn't that good of a car.

The only smart stores to be affected were standalone stores, or stores not affiliated with a MB dealership. With the initial sales rush out of the way and the standardized sales goals of 6,500 - 8,000 cars/year in the US in place (which were always the goals, by the way), the standalone stores are not profitable regardless.

I see this as a good thing - MB has deeper pockets for advertising. They are going to run it here just like they do in Canada.

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVueBoy View Post
Actually, the acquisition was driven by Daimler in order to combat CAFE standards here in the US. With Penske distributing the smart brand, MB was not able to fold them under their umbrella for EPA purposes. The US was the only area where smart was not being distributed by Daimler directly.

I'm not saddened by the loss of the Renault/Nissan 4 seat car. The first generation forfour was a *******ized Mitsu Colt and wasn't that good of a car.

The only smart stores to be affected were standalone stores, or stores not affiliated with a MB dealership. With the initial sales rush out of the way and the standardized sales goals of 6,500 - 8,000 cars/year in the US in place (which were always the goals, by the way), the standalone stores are not profitable regardless.

I see this as a good thing - MB has deeper pockets for advertising. They are going to run it here just like they do in Canada.
Makes business sense. Now they just need to expand the brand like BMW is doing with Mini. I think it'd be wise for MB to use Smart as a way to bring the A & B class to the USA. Saves on design costs, as they're already in production in other places as MBs. Keeps that precious brand ego afloat too, you don't have any economy cars tarnishing the brand. And it'll help offset every twin turbo V12 they sell by a little bit.

It's just fun to get in jokes about Jill killing brands. She is the Grim Reaper of cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
It's just fun to get in jokes about Jill killing brands. She is the Grim Reaper of cars.
Ouch. Where will she end up next?

Anyway, I thought Daimler and Smart were already joined at the hip. It makes better business sense to sell Smart cars through M-B centers, just as Toyota sells Scions through their existing dealership network.

Although it's too bad Penske didn't try to lean more on PSA as a venture partner, despite current Peugeots not being suited to our market taste. In hindsight, the Samsung SM3 is too similar to the current Sentra styling wise to have worn a Saturn/Penske badge. No wonder R-N stockholders and Nissan NA dealers cried foul. Not that Ghosn needed help making his decision, but I think the aforementioned pair certainly pushed him in the direction of 'no way'.

Thanks in large part to my Nissans (oh the irony!), I've moved on since the announcement that Saturn would be no longer. There's plenty of used Saturns around to catch the brand collector's fancy and help to keep its memory alive.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

I saw a Smart Car over the weekend that had the MB logo on it. It was a Green color.

My thought was "When did MB start making cars that look like Smart Cars"...the other thought I had was that the person who owned the Smart Car wanted the car to look stylish, so they put a MB logo on it.

I guess this makes sense now..

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Given GM's propensity for going through CEOs (which one is in charge now?) I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up there. I mean, eventually they'll run out of people. I hope for MB's sake she gets removed now that MB is taking Smart back. Despite my criticisms of MB owners and the cars and other things, I actually do like MB. I wouldn't wish Jill's touch of death on them.

Maybe she can run Cadillac into the ground. Or how about Honda? Toyota? Chrysler? Buick?

Actually, Buick is probably the most likely one she will kill next, I mean work for next.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Old 02-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Makes perfect business sense, this is why Saturn was able to lose money year after year but still survive off the GM profits from SUVs. If Mercedes would put a decent, smaller TDI motor in their C-Class, it'd help the CAFE standards and not diminish the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post
Anyway, I thought Daimler and Smart were already joined at the hip. It makes better business sense to sell Smart cars through M-B centers, just as Toyota sells Scions through their existing dealership network.
They actually are - smart is an MB product. There are a decent number of small bits and hardware bits shared with the A class as well - it lends a nice feel to things like the window switches and minor controls that other small cars lack.

The majority of smart centers are connected to MB dealers. The dealers that have closed thus far in the US have all been detached stores, or tied to other brands. It doesn't have enough margin to be self supporting - be it here in North America or elsewhere in the world. The original intent was to give them the corner of an MB showroom.

The ownership group that owns my dealer owns several MB dealers, a Bentley, Rolls Royce, Maybach and a Sprinter dealership. Mine is a separate building tied to their largest MB dealer - its showroom holds about 4 cars, has 2 or 3 information kiosks and a couple of seating areas with tables. There are 2 or 3 employees and 1 dedicated smart tech. They run with minimal overhead, but they also are supposedly one of the best rated dealers in the US.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #11
OhioVueBoy
Master Member

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
I saw a Smart Car over the weekend that had the MB logo on it. It was a Green color.

My thought was "When did MB start making cars that look like Smart Cars"...the other thought I had was that the person who owned the Smart Car wanted the car to look stylish, so they put a MB logo on it.

People like to try to rebadge them as an MB. It would be akin to badging a Saturn as a GM. This tends to be a big point of contention that causes arguments on the forums.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #12
piney
Master Member

Quote:
People like to try to rebadge them as an MB. It would be akin to badging a Saturn as a GM. This tends to be a big point of contention that causes arguments on the forums.
I remember seeing one about 10 years or so ago that was being used as a promotional vehicle and the guy showed me the motor. IIRC, it was a MB 3 banger diesel or something like that. Thought it had MB hubcaps as well.

There is some guy near my office that has a black B-class Mercedes that looks like a grown up Smart car. It has Ontario tags on it, neat looking though. I could see MB really selling a lot of them in this country if they put a TDI motor in it here and went after the same market that people who drive Golf TDIs occupy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #13
OhioVueBoy
Master Member

2002 VUE 2.2L

The diesel in them is actually the smallest production passenger diesel made. A friend of mine in Ontario had one - I drove it/rode in it a few times down here. It was a slug, but made a great little diesel clatter.

They are supposed to be bringing the B here. It's an awesome little car. The BlueTec version would be great as well. I'll be curious to see how the C diesel sells - I have only seen 2 or 3 BMW 335ds on the road around here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:16 AM   #14
piney
Master Member

Quote:
The BlueTec version would be great as well. I'll be curious to see how the C diesel sells - I have only seen 2 or 3 BMW 335ds on the road around here.
Me too, I saw one while getting on the Lewes Ferry going to Cape May and saw one down here. The thing with BMW prices is that people lease them and leasing a diesel makes no fiscal sense. They are going to be making a 5-series diesel as well, that'd be a great vehicle to have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #15
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
I remember seeing one about 10 years or so ago that was being used as a promotional vehicle and the guy showed me the motor. IIRC, it was a MB 3 banger diesel or something like that. Thought it had MB hubcaps as well.

There is some guy near my office that has a black B-class Mercedes that looks like a grown up Smart car. It has Ontario tags on it, neat looking though. I could see MB really selling a lot of them in this country if they put a TDI motor in it here and went after the same market that people who drive Golf TDIs occupy.
That's probably the one I saw, was it an older white guy? Not gonna lie, I liked it a lot.

I've seen a few 335ds, its tough to tell them from the 335i from a distance. Then again, I see millions of 335is.

MB also has the balls to put a diesel in the GLK. I like that. Hopefully BMW and VW/Audi follow suit (the Q5 was always rumored to be getting the 3.6L diesel but never has )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
OhioVueBoy
Master Member

2002 VUE 2.2L

I'm a huge clean diesel fan. Hybrids, not so much.

Had they offered the diesel in the smart when I ordered mine, I probably would have went that route. The powertrain is probably one of my most favorite things (which is ironic, since 90% of the public hates the transmission when they test drive it) - but there is something I like about the sound of a diesel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #17
piney
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
That's probably the one I saw, was it an older white guy? Not gonna lie, I liked it a lot.
This one was black, it looked good though.

The GLK would be great for a small TDI motor as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post

Sounds similar to what people have done to Minis; I've seen several with BMW roundels on them. I guess that they figure that since BMW owns Mini, it's a small BMW---they want the status without the price tag.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #19
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Unless the Smart car increases it's sales, it will most likely leave the US market.

It's concept is ahead of it's time. Unfortunately it's fuel economy is not outstanding, and it's safety is a big concern in the US where cars are larger than the European market which it was intended.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #20
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

and it takes premium fuel. kind of a killer for an ecconomy car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote