SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #41
rock_fan12
rock_fan12 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Where to go now that Saturns are no longer sold?

if they tell you something is a dealer item where can you buy parts for them is it mostly salvage yards or can you still buy parts through gm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rock_fan12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rock_fan12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rock_fan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2011, 02:18 AM   #42
cavalier
cavalier is on a distinguished road

Have any of you guys SEEN the new 2011 Hyundai Elantra?

WOW, now if Saturn had put out this kind of vehicle just a few years ago as a replacement to the S-series and dumped the stupid Ion, who knows where the company may have been today?

This car is awesome and can be had for as little as $15,500 new.

Definitely changed my mind on my next purchase....out 2012 Ford Focus, in 2011 Hyundai Elantra.

Never thought an Elantra would EVER look/drive this good.

IMO, Hyundai IS the new Saturn!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cavalier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cavalier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #43
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
Have any of you guys SEEN the new 2011 Hyundai Elantra?
Definitely changed my mind on my next purchase....out 2012 Ford Focus, in 2011 Hyundai Elantra.
I wouldn't leave out the Focus until you get a chance to drive one.
The Elantra does look good and seems to have good features. It's a nice appearing car but no bargain.
Air Conditioning is not standard on the GLS MT, you have to add the $1250 PEP so I would consider the base price to be $16800

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #44
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

My sister just traded for a Nissan Sentra. Her L-series was becoming more trouble than it was worth and she found a good deal on a car she wanted, so after owning three Saturns she now drives a Nissan.

My sister-in-law recently traded her L-series for a Nissan Rogue. Same deal, L-series was getting too expensive to maintain and got a great deal on the Rogue. That was her first and only Saturn.

On a off topic but related subject, my mom also bought a new car not too long ago. She traded her Grand Am for a Hyundai Sonata. She had wanted a Vue, but was hesitant to buy one now that Saturn is gone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #45
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Yes, I saw all of the new Hyundais and Kias at our auto show today. The quote from the GMI chat board that someone made as his signature was appropriate, "Hyundai has a knack for designing cars that look like they've already been in an accident."

On the bright side for me, there was a Verano on a turntable in the Buick section. The GS model will have a 250-hp 2L turbo (according to the brochure) available in 2012 after the non-turbo model launches this November with a 177-hp 2.4L engine. I hope the GS' EPA ratings best that of the non-turbo model. The GS is supposed to have a 6-speed manual available, too.

I checked out a manual Cruze on the show floor and the shift action was better than that on my Ion's Getrag transmission. Reverse is up and to the left but only after you pull up and hold the lockout ring. The Cruze's interior was quite nice too with great panel fits.

After the Verano, my second choice is the VW GTI/Jetta GLI or a Jetta SportWagen TDI. Third is still Ford's Fusion. All offer manual transmissions. I've heard rumblings of a new Fusion coming for 2012 or 2013, I look forward to seeing it.

Cavalier, your grasp on Saturn history is fuzzy at best. Product was only part of the company's problem. Even if it had had a model that looked like the Elantra, who but the Saturn enthusiasts would have known about it? Saturn's advertising and marketing was nearly non-existent during its last several years, despite having more models to sell than it did in 1991. By contrast, I remember seeing ads for the current Chevy Malibu on TV, in print, as web page banners and even on bank ATMs (the car you can't ignore, indeed).

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #46
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

I haven't had a Saturn since early 2004. Switched to Honda products - a 2006 CRV-SE, 2007 Civic EX-Navi and the current 2008 Odyssey Touring. I have a 2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/DSG on order. Had to order it due to wanting the panoramic roof, Nav and special wheels.

What I'm seeing in the VW forums is what used to exist with the Saturn brand. There is a strong brand loyalty, a lot of ways to personalize the cars, and lots of local groups to support the brand and even get-togethers. I've wanted a TDI since 2005 and will finally have one - bought this one so we'll have it a while.

They do drive great and the fit-finish is something that Saturn could come near.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #47
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
After the Verano, my second choice is the VW GTI/Jetta GLI or a Jetta SportWagen TDI. Third is still Ford's Fusion. All offer manual transmissions. I've heard rumblings of a new Fusion coming for 2012 or 2013, I look forward to seeing it.
That is funny, there is a former Saturnfan that has a JSW/TDI that is on the VW forums. The JSW does drive great and you'll get far better fuel mileage in real world driving than you will from anything else in that size range.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #48
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
You've gone up in price a bit with those choices.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #49
Tethys
Advanced Member

Compared to the Focus, yes. I knew before I started planning for a new car that I wouldn't be able to find a similar-sized Ion replacement for what my Ion cost in 2006. I figure the new ride will be at least $7K more, depending on options and when I actually get it.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #50
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Compared to the Focus, yes. I knew before I started planning for a new car that I wouldn't be able to find a similar-sized Ion replacement for what my Ion cost in 2006. I figure the new ride will be at least $7K more, depending on options and when I actually get it.
$7K would be way too much of a jump for me.
Mazda 2 is my favorite new car at the moment. I have not driven it but I like what people say about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #51
SL1Joe
SL1Joe has a spectacular aura aboutSL1Joe has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL1

I would only be concerned with parts availability if it's OEM, the aftermarket should have parts for many years to come (Yes I know quality can be an issue for some parts) and like others have said there is always the junk yard.
There are some exceptions however, last year for example I needed a Fuel Pump O-Ring and none of the usual parts stores had it, I ended up buying the part at a Chevy Dealer, Could have gotten it at saturnparts.net but I would have paid more.

I also agree that buying a brand new car is not worth the cash, the depreciation hit alone is not worth it, better to let someone else take that hit and buy it used later on down the road.

You wanna talk about hard to find parts I have a 1971 Ford Maverick with a 3 speed manual (one of the old three on the tree manual's) that I bought for $250 back in 02 for a project car. Aside from Mail Order, and the occasional salvage yard find, finding parts is a definite chore.

95 SL1 - Midnight Blue [ Not sure the mileage anymore, changed out the original cluster 2 years ago ]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL1Joe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL1Joe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL1Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:08 AM   #52
cam
cam is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

I've had several new Saturns but now am forced to look for a used one since someone demolished my wife's 2007 ION 2 recently. I am looking at the 2007 ION 3. Some good off-lease deals out there right now but hate the thought of having to start all over again with fiancing etc.
I've asked in another post if these cars with the 2.4 litre engine have timing chains or belts? Nice drive?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #53
Tethys
Advanced Member

Cam - unless you or a mechanic can tell it's been abused, don't pass on an Ion with the 2.4L motor. My '06 with this engine is easily my favorite Saturn of the five I've had. It has power to spare, (2007 specs: 175 hp/164 lbs-ft v. 145/155 in the 2.2L) even if it comes with a slushbox instead of a manual, and the trade-off on MPGs versus the Ion 2 is worth it IMO, especially if you do a lot of highway driving. The interior and suspension bits are a smidge nicer in level 3 land as well.

Let us know if you get it and then post pics!

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #54
cam

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Cam - unless you or a mechanic can tell it's been abused, don't pass on an Ion with the 2.4L motor. My '06 with this engine is easily my favorite Saturn of the five I've had. It has power to spare, (2007 specs: 175 hp/164 lbs-ft v. 145/155 in the 2.2L) even if it comes with a slushbox instead of a manual, and the trade-off on MPGs versus the Ion 2 is worth it IMO, especially if you do a lot of highway driving. The interior and suspension bits are a smidge nicer in level 3 land as well.

Let us know if you get it and then post pics!
Drove about 5 hours round trip and picked up the '07 ION3 last Monday. Very low mileage (about 10,000). Althought the ION2 and 3 share the same basic body type, that's where it ends. It was a real pleasure to drive. I'll post some pics later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #55
cam

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Here are some photos as advertised from the dealer stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ION3 1.jpg (41.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ION3 2.jpg (38.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ION3 3.jpg (35.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by cam; 02-02-2011 at 11:07 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Old 02-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #56
cavalier
cavalier is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes, I saw all of the new Hyundais and Kias at our auto show today. The quote from the GMI chat board that someone made as his signature was appropriate, "Hyundai has a knack for designing cars that look like they've already been in an accident."

On the bright side for me, there was a Verano on a turntable in the Buick section. The GS model will have a 250-hp 2L turbo (according to the brochure) available in 2012 after the non-turbo model launches this November with a 177-hp 2.4L engine. I hope the GS' EPA ratings best that of the non-turbo model. The GS is supposed to have a 6-speed manual available, too.

I checked out a manual Cruze on the show floor and the shift action was better than that on my Ion's Getrag transmission. Reverse is up and to the left but only after you pull up and hold the lockout ring. The Cruze's interior was quite nice too with great panel fits.

Cavalier, your grasp on Saturn history is fuzzy at best. Product was only part of the company's problem. Even if it had had a model that looked like the Elantra, who but the Saturn enthusiasts would have known about it? Saturn's advertising and marketing was nearly non-existent during its last several years, despite having more models to sell than it did in 1991. By contrast, I remember seeing ads for the current Chevy Malibu on TV, in print, as web page banners and even on bank ATMs (the car you can't ignore, indeed).
Sounds like someone at GM is jealous to me......either that or a WHOLE LOT of people enjoy the look of a car that "looks like its already been in an accident" based on Hyundai sales and gains in the marketplace. Such a dumb comment by such simple-minded people, IMO.

Typical GM people, though. Bash the competition and then watch that same competition pass you by because they have better products then you do. That's what killed "old GM" and will continue to kill "new GM."

The Chevy Cruze is a perfect example....as one recent car magazine's review said it would be a perfect compact car.....if only it came out two years ago.

GM is continually behind the curve and playing catchup.

And I don't care what kind of engine they put in a Buick. As long as it has that ugly shield badge on the grill, no one's gonna buy it. Buick is an old man's brand much like Oldsmobile was and it should have been put out of its misery instead of Pontiac. My generation will always have that image of Buick and once the baby boomers are dead and gone, Buick will have no market anymore.

And did I ever say Saturn's product was the only problem??? No, I didn't think so and you need to either read a little more carefully next time or get those eyes checked before making assumptions as you did.

You're right in that advertising (or lack thereof) was a big issue for Saturn.

But how do you market or advertise a piece of garbage like the Ion even if they had the will to do so?

Yeah, I'm sure if people knew there was a nasty-looking car (with, IMO looks more like it "already got into an accident" then any other compact I've seen in recent memory) with the speedometer in the middle of the dash there would have been a run on Ions.

Last edited by cavalier; 02-04-2011 at 05:21 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cavalier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cavalier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #57
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I like the Verano's styling and I like the continuity factor of remaining with the Delta platform and that the Verano will offer the 2.4 engine. I'm not much taken with the name, however. Skylark, Skyhawk or Bengal would have been better choices.
Sorry, but when I think of Skylark, I think of this:

or even this:

but sadly not this one:

which is the most popular Skylark of all.

Buick could have come up with a better name for its 'premium' compact car. OTOH, a 250+-hp Verano GS sounds good to me, so long as its price stays under $30K. Otherwise, the roomier Regal CXL turbo at the same cost makes a strong case for stealing its baby brother's thunder.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

Last edited by GR898SL2; 02-05-2011 at 03:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #58
ccsoh
ccsoh is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
Dizzy Re: Where to go now that Saturns are no longer sold?

I don't know how true it is, but I was told by our local GM dealer, that another company will be taking over saturn soon, and will be opening again. Again, this is what I have been told. One company was going to , but they backed out for some reason.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ccsoh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ccsoh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ccsoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #59
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I spent months looking at different vehicles. I was going to buy used as after buying the Saturn as my first new car, I came to the fast realization that buying new was a bad idea.

I looked at Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Saab, Volkswagen, and Volvo.
After much looking I just couldn't find anything in my price range that I felt confident enough about. I started looking at American and it looked like a second generation Olds Aurora looked pretty good for the money. Then during my research, I found out that the Cadillac STS was built on the same platform, though with a bigger motor.

I happened to find a 2002 2 owner STS in excellent shape for a price I was happy with. The original sticker was with all the paperwork and was $55,000. 300hp, top speed of 155mph, all the goodies, and it cost a fraction of the original price. It is tighter and quieter than the Saturn ever was and makes feel good about getting an American car. Too bad for GM that they depreciate so horribly.

BTW, not my car, but looks identical, other than the fact mine has a moon roof as well.
http://www.heritagecadillac.com/web/...photos/727709/

"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:13 AM   #60
Tethys
Advanced Member

@ cavalier

I'm not a typical GM person, or I wouldn't have owned Saturns for the last 20 years. If I were a typical GM driver, I'd have owned a succession of crapaliers, oops, I mean cavaliers. You're familiar with the name, right?

So insult the Ion, you want a medal? Get in line behind all the other ignorant anti-Saturn savages out there. I love driving my car and that's what counts. I love the plastic panels and the gauges in the middle and I love shifting its gears myself instead of relying on a computer to shift them. With more than 500,000 "pieces of garbage" sold, I'm not the only one who likes the Ion.

Envious of Hyundai? Not me. You have your opinion of its styling and design and I have mine. Hyundai to me still evokes images of its first cars sold here, which is part of the reason I'll never drive one, no matter how much it has improved. Just because "everyone" seems to drive one now is the perfect reason for me to avoid them.

I don't want a Chevy Cruze. It is just the latest Cavalier. I think Buick, Olds AND Pontiac should have been shuttered (or Pontiac should have gone all RWD with no minivans, Matrix clones or G5s) but GM didn't ask me for advice. Thankfully, they didn't ask you as your "generational bias" keeps you from noticing how well Buick and GM as a whole has done lately - must be all that Hyundai kewl-aid you imbibe. Buick has a tri-shield emblem, by the way.

Did you say Saturn's product was its only problem? <shrug> I've only read three posts from you. Either way, it's moot since the company stopped making vehicles in 2009.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!