SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Sad Will you commemorate the end of Saturn??

As many of you may or may not know; the end of October signifies the "Official" end of Saturn, as many of the remaining dealerships that are not "Authorized Saturn Service dealerships", will officially close up shop.

So will you do anything on the last weekend of October... October 30/31, or November 1; to commemorate the end of Saturn- a once great car company that stood for being different amongst all of the ecomony cars out there?

Got the idea from a friend of mine in Chicago; who mentioned tying a black ribbon around the antenna between October 30-November 1.

If you enjoy your Saturn, and truly miss what Saturn represented- then I want to see every Saturnfan member take a picture of your car between October 30 to November 1 with a Black Ribbon tied around your antenna and I want to see everyone post a picture of your car in this thread.

If you truly are a Saturnfan....let's see the pride in the car that you drive and post a picture in this thread.

Saturn was truly a "Different kind of company and a Different kind of Car"

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Will you commemorate the end of Saturn??

I have a Ford Escape Hybrid and Honda Odyssey Touring in the garage and the Ody has no antenna, any suggestions?

I still pass a Saturn dealer every so often that is in the area, it still has the Saturn sign out front but is stocked mostly with used cars and Suzuki products.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

I had an idea brewing for my own Saturn memorial. But I am liking the black ribbon better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

My retailer closed yesterday: Galpin/North Hills Saturn. They're on record as having sold the first Saturn ever. A sad day.

They sent some coupons to use their service center which works on all makes and I guess will still service Saturns.

A sorry tale of brand mismanagement and corporate intrigue. Waiting for the book for the whole story, but the true tale is told right here on Saturn Fans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

One small problem - my Nissan Altima has no antenna. (It's fixed inside the windshield).

Any advice to those who have since moved on to other brands but chose to remain a part with the Saturnfans online community?

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
shadowspiyre99
shadowspiyre99 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Im gona do a sad dance and then a happy one cuz maybe just maybe our cars will become collectors cars lmao

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shadowspiyre99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shadowspiyre99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shadowspiyre99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
tcotrel
tcotrel is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Saturn of the Valley (San Fernando Valley, L.A. area) officially closed yesterday. I went in last Monday hoping to get a routine oil change. They couldn't help me as only previously reserved appointments were being servced for the last week, but referred me to Galpin Honda, which was taking over service for my car.

This was the dealership I bought both of my Saturns from. The showroom was vacant and only used cars were on the lot. They long ran out of new Saturns.

I'm thinking of getting some sort of black vinyl sticker or decal to paste on my fender.

This is sad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tcotrel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tcotrel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tcotrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

I have posted a facebook status of this,as I know quite a lot of people that have or had Saturns..I will be posting my pics here the last weekend with my black ribbons,hopefully friends cars pics too...I think it's a great and sorta sad idea.

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

I'd do one better: draw a Saturn logo off cardboard or something, scotch tape it (so it doesn't get all wet if it rains), and tie it to my black ribbon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

For those that don't have antennas on newer vehicles, but still are Saturn supporters; maybe sometype of Saturn logo on a magnet affixed to your current vehicle?

Trying to think of something that would be weather resistance....or maybe even tying a black ribbon around your current vehicle's logo and writing:

"Saturn 1985-2010" in White Sharpie/Silver Sharpie on the Black Ribbon...

Another thought; for those that don't have antennas on your cars; tying a larger black ribbon around your driver's side mirror with the phrase above written on it...

I think the affixing of a larger black ribbon that doesn't cause any issues with your driver's side mirror, may be a better option...

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:44 AM   #11
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
I have a Ford Escape Hybrid and Honda Odyssey Touring in the garage and the Ody has no antenna, any suggestions?

I still pass a Saturn dealer every so often that is in the area, it still has the Saturn sign out front but is stocked mostly with used cars and Suzuki products.
Coconut Creek Saturn? They sell Suzukis, Hyundais and Mitsus.

We could stage a large burning of GM logos to express our displeasure with GM. In front of chevy and/or caddy dealers is bonus points.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #12
OZARKJAY
OZARKJAY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
Coconut Creek Saturn? They sell Suzukis, Hyundais and Mitsus.

We could stage a large burning of GM logos to express our displeasure with GM. In front of chevy and/or caddy dealers is bonus points.
Think i'll wear a black head band to show my disgust for ever
buying a new Saturn Aura in 08 that's worth about $10,000 now with only 6,500 miles on the clock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OZARKJAY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OZARKJAY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OZARKJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZARKJAY View Post
Think i'll wear a black head band to show my disgust for ever
buying a new Saturn Aura in 08 that's worth about $10,000 now with only 6,500 miles on the clock.
Unless you bought it with plans to sell it, then that's really not an issue.

If you're like me and bought it and plan to properly maintain it and drive it till the wheels fall off. Then its current market value is a non issue.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

I don't know the details on your Aura...but even base 4cyl are still going for mid 12's...you'll never get back what you payed rolling of the dealer lot anyways...that's a given!

My cars are til death do us part!! Cars aren't thought of today,how they used to be when they were first made! they were a member of the family! Now we live in a disposable world.People just don't keep their cars for its entire life.

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #15
cavalier
cavalier is on a distinguished road

What would be cool is if someone could make up - and I'm betting they'd probably sell very well - some stickers that are in the shape of a tombstone that read "the brand that GM forgot" that would be small enough to stick next to the Saturn badge or elsewhere on the car where it says Saturn.

The sticker could even be like a real tombstone and have the date that Saturn was "born" proceeded by the date "Oct. 2010" to indicate when it was killed off by GM.

Although I'm the type that never puts any kind of bumper sticker on my car, if someone made these up I'd not only buy one but proudly paste it onto my vehicle.

Anyone like this idea?

Last edited by cavalier; 10-18-2010 at 04:10 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cavalier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cavalier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #16
sousa632
sousa632 is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
What would be cool is if someone could make up - and I'm betting they'd probably sell very well - some stickers that are in the shape of a tombstone that read "the brand that GM KILLED" that would be small enough to stick next to the Saturn badge or elsewhere on the car where it says Saturn.

The sticker could even be like a real tombstone and have the date that Saturn was "born" proceeded by the date "Oct. 2010" to indicate when it was killed off by GM.

Although I'm the type that never puts any kind of bumper sticker on my car, if someone made these up I'd not only buy one but proudly paste it onto my vehicle.

Anyone like this idea?
Fixed it in bold for ya

John
96 Tbird 4.6L, 95 Saturn SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sousa632's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sousa632 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sousa632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #17
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcotrel View Post
Saturn of the Valley (San Fernando Valley, L.A. area) officially closed yesterday. I went in last Monday hoping to get a routine oil change. They couldn't help me as only previously reserved appointments were being servced for the last week, but referred me to Galpin Honda, which was taking over service for my car.

This was the dealership I bought both of my Saturns from. The showroom was vacant and only used cars were on the lot. They long ran out of new Saturns.

I'm thinking of getting some sort of black vinyl sticker or decal to paste on my fender.

This is sad.
Yes: sad. I always referred to them as Saturn of North Hills [Gateway to Panorama City...] though the ION I bought at the Valley retailer came with Saturn of Santa Clarita dealer frames. I got some promo materials for Galpin service centers just before I moved to Tucson.
I have to check where there's a GM authorized Saturn service center here in Tucson. Perhaps Oreilly's Chevrolet or Galpin Ford could refer back there in Kali could refer one since they owned the Valley location.

Best to all during these depressing times.

Someone could have a nice career specializing in the service and repair of GM's cast off makes: Olds, Saturn, Pontiac.Even Hummer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #18
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
Someone could have a nice career specializing in the service and repair of GM's cast off makes: Olds, Saturn, Pontiac.Even Hummer.
I'm actually in class for auto and diesel tech, and I'll be sure to provide special attention to the above brands (except hummer won't be so much; I don't wanna feel like I need a stepladder just to get to the spark plug wires or something, like in a buddy's C/K Tahoe, 2door ).

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #19
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
I'm actually in class for auto and diesel tech, and I'll be sure to provide special attention to the above brands (except hummer won't be so much; I don't wanna feel like I need a stepladder just to get to the spark plug wires or something, like in a buddy's C/K Tahoe, 2door ).
You need a stepladder to work on a Hummer or Tahoe? A stock Hummer or Tahoe? I can do any engine work on my parents Tahoe and my Suburban before I lifted it standing on the ground.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:22 AM   #20
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
You need a stepladder to work on a Hummer or Tahoe? A stock Hummer or Tahoe? I can do any engine work on my parents Tahoe and my Suburban before I lifted it standing on the ground.
Perhaps you're taller or not as big as me... then again we're talking two different generations of Suburban/Tahoe here. I speak of the old C/K Tahoe (the 90s ones), I know your Suburban and Tahoe are after 2000. I was able to reach comfortably under the hood of my cousin's 2006 Silverado.

And by needing a stepladder, I meant for all the stuff on the rear of the engine bay (which in the case of the C/K Tahoe you're talking the distributor, etc).

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!