SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #41
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Default Re: GM moves Saturn closing date !

They say it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings. Well, Fritz isn't a lady and I'm not sure of his body mass, but I'd say the fat lady sung today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #42
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
I think that all the talk of a sale is just a ploy to fool a few people into believing Saturn has a future so they can clear out remaining inventory.
VTHokie you better hope not. What will you do with all your free time if Saturn isn't around anymore for you to beat up on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #43
L55
L55 is on a distinguished road

I'm still waiting to hear about this so-called conference call from Jill today. I'm not sure how salespeople are going to handle this latest bad PR from GM. No more "around until 2011 and probably a spin-off". Now its going to be "done in 6 months unless theres a spin-off and no, we haven't heard a thing yet that's official regarding one". Thats a tough sell..I guess the only thing that will move the inventory will be huge price cuts. And you just know that GM wants inventory gone by the fall so they won't face another OLDS financial mess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L55's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L55 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #44
jon_e_quest
jon_e_quest is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2009 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
I think that all the talk of a sale is just a ploy to fool a few people into believing Saturn has a future so they can clear out remaining inventory.
Hokie: Do you have any advanced incite about GM's plan to fool us into buying up Pontiacs?

Sold:
2008 Astra XR3
2009 Aura XR6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jon_e_quest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jon_e_quest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jon_e_quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #45
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
They say it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings. Well, Fritz isn't a lady and I'm not sure of his body mass, but I'd say the fat lady sung today.
Nothing today was any worse for Saturn than prior announcements. If a new Saturn has any chance to succeed, its chance is enhanced by a quick split from GM. Nothing is gained from continuing to be linked to a parent company wanting to shed it. The old business arrangement is done. However slim you might think it is, having some probability of success is better than none at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #46
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by L55 View Post
I'm still waiting to hear about this so-called conference call from Jill today. I'm not sure how salespeople are going to handle this latest bad PR from GM. No more "around until 2011 and probably a spin-off". Now its going to be "done in 6 months unless theres a spin-off and no, we haven't heard a thing yet that's official regarding one". Thats a tough sell..I guess the only thing that will move the inventory will be huge price cuts. And you just know that GM wants inventory gone by the fall so they won't face another OLDS financial mess.
Agreed.

I think Henderson put it something like this, this morning regarding a "Spin-Off" of Saturn....paraphrasing: "There has been no plan that has been submitted to GM regarding a spin-off of Saturn that fits in with GM's future plan of operation."

Sounds to me that GM is going to push HEAVY liquidating on Saturn vehicles and the fate of the remaining dealerships will be told to them starting next month in May.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #47
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10 View Post
VTHokie you better hope not. What will you do with all your free time if Saturn isn't around anymore for you to beat up on?

Most likely complain on the Subaru forums about how much the new Legacy sucks.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #48
saturn of cary -Jill
saturn of cary -Jill is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

:::smiling at all the customers buying used and new Saturns from us this evening::: :::at non-fire sale prices:::
Cheers,
Jill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn of cary -Jill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn of cary -Jill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn of cary -Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #49
Hman127
Hman127 is on a distinguished road

To me If Saturn is done as well as Saab, Pontiac, and Hummer, GM will probably never become a bigger company, only a smaller one. I feel that they've been wanting to do this for some time, and finally have given us a slap in the face. Saturn wasn't a great company so far as the vehicles it made, but because of the employees and customers thats what made Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hman127's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hman127 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hman127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #50
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn of cary -Jill View Post
:::smiling at all the customers buying used and new Saturns from us this evening::: :::at non-fire sale prices:::
Cheers,
Jill
Bet they're going to feel pretty mad in a few weeks....

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #51
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant future

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Arrow Re: GM moves Saturn closing date !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
Agreed.

I think Henderson put it something like this, this morning regarding a "Spin-Off" of Saturn....paraphrasing: "There has been no plan that has been submitted to GM regarding a spin-off of Saturn that fits in with GM's future plan of operation."

Sounds to me that GM is going to push HEAVY liquidating on Saturn vehicles and the fate of the remaining dealerships will be told to them starting next month in May.
I don't think you'll hear anyone talk publicly about any potential deal that's in the works until after the deal is done. GM is moving forward with the Saturn spin-off, but it takes time. There are several parties involved. Onefunkar is right... GM will accept bids until 6/1 (which is likely why they won't talk about any of the proposals that have been submitted; GM wants to get the most out of the transaction as possible). Their goal is to announce the spin-off by 9/1. At that point, the "new" Saturn would setup a formal arrangement for GM to continue to build Saturns. Nothing really has changed -- GM just compressed the timeline.

Keep the faith,
Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #52
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Lets put this into perspective. Fritz Henderson officially announced cease of production of Saturn products by GM. Saturn AFTER 2009 will no longer be a GM product. That is what that means and ONLY what was said.

There has been no talk yet of Saturn's plans from Saturn themselves, so let's stop taking this out of context.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #53
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

That sucks! Ah well, all good things eventually end right? I would rather see Saturn die young and leave out on a high note myself. Most people that are non-Saturn owners would say Saturn is a great brand. Sad to see it go, but I am sure it's not an easy decision for anyone regardless of what you may believe. I have owned 4 and have enjoyed them all. Note really sure what my next car will be, but I am sure I will look for a vehicle that embodies what I liked most about Saturn. Good luck Satunfans!

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bertillion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bertillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #54
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
"Itís worth noting that Saturnís expiration date has been vastly accelerated since G.M. first said it was going to phase out the brand. It originally said that Saturn would go away in 2012; now it is going away by the end of this year. That means Saturn wonít even celebrate its 20th birthday, which would have fallen next year."

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse?
Wow, this is EXCITING!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #55
L55
L55 is on a distinguished road

I did my own digging tonight about news from up high and yes, there has been communication to dealers regarding ongoing discussions and potential partners. I was also told (opinion only) that very soon we'd see heavy discounts to move out inventory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L55's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L55 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #56
piney
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
What this means is that Saturn must move to the next phase of the Spin-Off plan faster than it had anticipated. It is not a definitive death toll for Saturn.
This means that potential investors and plans must be looked at and plans must be made quicker to divorce ourselves from GM, that is all we know for now.
Dude, if you came home from a 9 month deployment and found your wife with child, would you believe this was an immaculate conception? I'm all for being optimistic and have been a SaturnFan long before most but this is TERMINAL.

Any negotiating position that GM had before today to sell Saturn off is GONE, kaput, klapoooie. Nobody in their right mind would pay for something they can assemble for free by creating a new network from the 2,600 shuttered dealerships.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #57
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Lets put this into perspective. Fritz Henderson officially announced cease of production of Saturn products by GM. Saturn AFTER 2009 will no longer be a GM product. That is what that means and ONLY what was said.

There has been no talk yet of Saturn's plans from Saturn themselves, so let's stop taking this out of context.
What I understood from the AutoNews article was if Saturn makes a deal as a spin off company, then GM will continue to build Saturn's until 2011. You never know maybe longer if the relationship is beneficial for both parties...

Unfortunately if this does happen Saturn, and they do it right, Saturn could grow and GM will lose market share.

If the deal doesn't fly, then 2009 will be the end of Saturn...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #58
piney
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn of cary -Jill View Post
Get over yourself Fritzy. You know nothing of the interactions of me and my customers (all 1046 of them). How dare you imply that Saturn Consultants will say anything to pay the blls.
Far be it for anyone to suggest that a person selling cars would be anything other than 100% honest and adhering to only the highest of ethical standards.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #59
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:

You are entitled to your opinion as so am I, as this is a public forum.

Whatever floats your boat. I'm done talking to you and trying to see your viewpoint....but don't come back whining at the end of the year when December 31st rolls around, wondering when a deal with Saturn is going to be made.

Don't get me wrong. I love my cars. But the fact of the management is there. Do some research; Henderson is not going to have a change of heart overnight...he has despised Saturn from the day it began.

Congratulations! You are the first person I have ever decided to Ignore on Saturnfans, and I have been here for a LONG time.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:56 PM   #60
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

I just do not see how any company, let alone Saturn, could thrive in this kind of economy from the position Saturn is in now. The cycle of life I was taught is birth, growth, decay, death. I would say Saturn is somewhere between decay and death. Even if by some miracle Saturn survives, it will never be able to be what it was. I wish all those well who depend on the car industry for their livelihood. It looks like a lot of people are in for a bumpy ride....

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote