SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #21
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: GM moves Saturn closing date !

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
So, does anybody have an actual link to validate any of this? Please do share.
Sorry guys, the Saturn story is almost over... With todays economy I'm not certain the retailers have enough liquidity to recover in such a short period of time.

More Saturn retailers may decide to cut their losses and close, or support another brand.

Like I said, if you need anything Saturn specific BUY IT NOW!

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...904279978/1078

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #22
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
What I am flabbergasted by here is that GM stock has gone UP 30 % since the Press Conference this morning....

How do you explain this?
Because they're cutting out the non-profitable parts of their corporation and concentrating on what will make them the most amount of money.

GM needs to get down to two divisions. They need to make GMC and Buick nameplates in the Cadillac and Chevrolet stores...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #23
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
Are you seriously holding out hope that an investor is going to come along and swoop up Saturn?

As much as I would like to see it happen as the next person...my own thoughts are that if it was going to happen, there would have been something more Concrete in motion by now...instead of all of these reports of "Speculative Buyers" or "Potential Investors" that are interested in "Buying Saturn".
Come on, you're just being negative! These are exciting times for Saturn!

Quote:
At least let Saturn go off into a Green Pasture or off into the sunset with SOME dignity, instead of ruining it with another manufacturing process that potentially won't live up to what they have been so far.
Yeah, vehicles like the Relay sure would be tough to live up to! But seriously, overall I agree on that!

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #24
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
Come on, you're just being negative! These are exciting times for Saturn!

Yeah, vehicles like the Relay sure would be tough to live up to! But seriously, overall I agree on that!

VThokie, you gave me a good laugh...even if it wasn't intended.

But yeah, I feel bad for people in the dealerships. More people will be out of jobs, unless they have something else lined up.

Then again...the RELAY, was a little too late on the part of Saturn...a Chevy Uplander/Venture Minivan clone out of Georgia...too little too late.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #25
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I wonder if Saturn will end with the 2009 model year, or will they produce some 2010 models to supply dealers through the 2009 calendar year?

Selling off remaining inventory will take awhile. 09 model production typically ends June/July, so they may stop producing Saturns in the summer and then just use the rest of 2009 to clear out inventory. Or they may make some 2010 Saturns after the summer changeover and stop making cars in late 09, which leaves some time in 2010 to clear out cars on the lots.

So we may see the last Saturns produced in just a few weeks from now!

The announcements weren't clear as to the timeline of production and actual closing of the dealers. They just say "through 2009," which could mean several different things.

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #26
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Some dealers sold only 8 cars last month. I don't see an incentive for the Saturn retailers to continue with the Saturn brand or commit more money selling imported cars that possibly won't sell in enough numbers to make it a legedimate investment.

GM is simply pulling the plug on Pontiac, Saturn, Saab, and Hummer. If they get money for them, fine, if not then they won't be supported beyond 2009.

If GM gave Saturn until 2011 the economy could have recovered enough that they could have possibly spinned off the company.

I posted earlier it's in GM's best interest to shut down Saturn, and any other brands that could compete with them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #27
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

All that can be said right now is that if what Fritz Henderson said is to betaken at face value, this is likely the last year of GM BUILT Saturns. Nobody has said that this is the end of Saturn (well,other than some ppl here). This just means that the FOT needs to step things up at a faster pace now to separate Saturn from GM. Lets not call personal speculation fact until we know what is going on - the whole story.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #28
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Care to place a wager?

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #29
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
Care to place a wager?
No. I care to find out what is going on before jumping to conclusions and spreading rumors though. :-)

I will place a wager on this though:

1.) I already expected that GM would try to get rid of Saturn much earlier than 2012 so as to get more money from the Gov.

2.) I'll bet that Fritz and friends ask for even more Gov. money after this too.

those are a given, lol.

What we cannot bet on is when the Saturn FOT will speak up, but the wheels are a spinning and things are in motion and hopefully they are well aware of the urgency of the situation. That's why I don't care about any speculations until something solid comes from Saturn themselves.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #30
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
I wonder if Saturn will end with the 2009 model year, or will they produce some 2010 models to supply dealers through the 2009 calendar year?

Selling off remaining inventory will take awhile. 09 model production typically ends June/July, so they may stop producing Saturns in the summer and then just use the rest of 2009 to clear out inventory. Or they may make some 2010 Saturns after the summer changeover and stop making cars in late 09, which leaves some time in 2010 to clear out cars on the lots.

So we may see the last Saturns produced in just a few weeks from now!

The announcements weren't clear as to the timeline of production and actual closing of the dealers. They just say "through 2009," which could mean several different things.
I would think they would build-out whatever vehicles necessary to use up current inventory of parts or inventory already committed to in the supply chains. They could call some of those "2010" models, but what's the point if all that really adds up to are different color & trim options?

Maybe the Chevys & Buicks will have "special edition" 2010 models with their respective logos re-badged over the orphaned 2010 Saturns? How would that be for irony?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #31
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

everything still on track. bids thru 6/1 and hope to close in august. gm will build saturns thru 2011 if new owners request it. treasury dept has approved the saturn sale. bad as today sounds it is still pretty much as it was before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #32
L55
L55 is on a distinguished road

Onefunkar...where are you getting this? And more importantly why haven't dealers been told this ??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L55's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L55 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #33
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

from jills meeting today

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #34
L55

onefunkar....was this a sat feed to all retailers ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L55's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L55 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #35
saturn of cary -Jill
saturn of cary -Jill is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I think it was a conference call, post news conference.
Cheers,
Jill (no not that one)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn of cary -Jill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn of cary -Jill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn of cary -Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #36
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i believe so

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #37
L55

Surely there is somebody here who actually heard Jill's info 1st hand ??? If so, please inform us what she said.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L55's Reputation
Old 04-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #38
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
everything still on track. bids thru 6/1 and hope to close in august. gm will build saturns thru 2011 if new owners request it. treasury dept has approved the saturn sale. bad as today sounds it is still pretty much as it was before.
The key thing you added was that Treasury Dept has approved the Saturn sale. I hope you are correct. If US Treasury, the GM creditors, and any other parties having a financial stake in this see the sale of Saturn as being in their best interests, the process becomes far easier with or without a formal GM bankruptcy. I cannot predict for sure if an independent Saturn can succeed but I see their best chance being with a quick and amicable split from GM. The sooner Saturn removes itself from any label of "liability", "toxic asset" or other similar term, the sooner it can try to establish its new identity and go about trying to convince customers to buy its vehicles. At that point the ball is in the new company's court and it will be up to them to succeed or fail. IMO the sooner they divorce themselves from the mess that GM has become involved in, the better it is for both Saturn and the brands that will remain in GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #39
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
All that can be said right now is that if what Fritz Henderson said is to betaken at face value, this is likely the last year of GM BUILT Saturns. Nobody has said that this is the end of Saturn (well,other than some ppl here). This just means that the FOT needs to step things up at a faster pace now to separate Saturn from GM. Lets not call personal speculation fact until we know what is going on - the whole story.
With your comments Marx404...even if Jill L. came out and said "This is the end of Saturn"...you would probably come back with..."I won't believe that Saturn is done and finished until I hear it from President Obama's Auto Task Force..."

Better yet...you probably wouldn't be convinced that Saturn was done until you heard it from Outer Space...

Geesh. A Press Conference was held today...apparently you are not willing to listen and read reports that came straight from Fritz Henderson himself...what more concrete information do you need????

Unless you know something that others dont't...care to share? Since you are so Saturn FOT...what do YOU KNOW?

Seriously. A CEO of a Company is not going to keep waddling around saying "There will be NO MORE PRODUCT from Saturn after 2009" and not mean it....especially when Henderson himself was never fond of Saturn to begin with.

Get over yourself.

Let Saturn go....the *******s on the GM board that are running GM right now ran Saturn into the ground in 2004/2005. They wouldn't know a good product now if it slapped them in the face!

Let Saturn die a peaceful and greatful death.

It's over. If there was any "Plan" to buy Saturn, Pontiac, Hummer or Saab...don't you think that there would have been SOMEONE who would have stepped forward with the financing and whatnot by now?

in my own opinion...

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #40
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

I think that all the talk of a sale is just a ploy to fool a few people into believing Saturn has a future so they can clear out remaining inventory.

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!