SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #41
saturnplace
saturnplace is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Japan Car Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn of cary -Jill View Post
How much can you know from your chair in the parts department?
Cheers,
Jill
I don't know Jill. But I enjoy selling Saturn Accessories to your customers.

Also if your dealership is like ours, our Parts Department and Service Departments are the reason the doors are still open.

How much are you guys losing a month in the sales department? I am having my best year ever!

Rethink your Saturn. Accessorize.
http://www.saturnaccessories.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnplace's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnplace reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnplace is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #42
saturn of cary -Jill
saturn of cary -Jill is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnplace View Post

Also if your dealership is like ours, our Parts Department and Service Departments are the reason the doors are still open.

How much are you guys losing a month in the sales department? I am having my best year ever!
Considering I am leading the store in sales, had my best year out of nine last year, and my husband works here in the parts department, I would say life is pretty darn good!
Cheers,
Jill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn of cary -Jill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn of cary -Jill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn of cary -Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #43
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69 View Post
....he says from the driver's seat of his Japanese car..........

Difference is I'm not a Subaru fan even though I drive a Legacy, at least not in the same way I was a fan of the original Saturn.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #44
saturn of cary -Jill

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
Difference is I'm not a Subaru fan even though I drive a Legacy, at least not in the same way I was a fan of the original Saturn.
Tell me (and I am being sincere here) what made you a fan of Saturn? What was it that brought you into it? Was it the idea of being all American? Was it the customer service? What kept you with us, and what has made you turn away? If you had a say in the direction we can go right now, what would you want to see happen? I am asking this in all honesty, because we all have customers like VT, and Piney and all. Since they were our original supporters, I want to know what would get them back into our showrooms. Please folks, keep your flames and wise acre remarks to yourself. I am looking for input and answers from our "fans", past, present, and future.
Cheers,
Jill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn of cary -Jill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #45
saturnplace
saturnplace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Considering I am leading the store in sales, had my best year out of nine last year, and my husband works here in the parts department, I would say life is pretty darn good!
Cheers,
Jill
I did find your remark about sitting in a parts chair rather condescending. Considering the fact that we are the top retailer for selling Sautrn accessories and one of the top performing parts departments in the nation, I would have to say over the years I have aquired many connections within Saturn.

Nonetheless, I wish you guys all the best

Rethink your Saturn. Accessorize.
http://www.saturnaccessories.com

Last edited by saturnplace; 04-01-2009 at 12:44 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnplace's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnplace reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #46
saturn of cary -Jill

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I did find your remark about sitting in a parts chair rather condescending. Considering the fact that we are the top retailer for selling Sautrn accessories and one of the top performing parts departments in the nation, I would have to say over the years I have aquired many connections within Saturn Corp.

Nonetheless, I wish you guys all the best
My apologies, I in no way meant to be condescending! And you are right, parts and service is certainly pulling their share of the load in these times. As I tell my customers, I will sell you your first Saturn. Service makes sure I sell you the second one.
Cheers,
Jill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #47
L55
L55 is on a distinguished road

bigbird i agree that there seems to be some sort of disconnect between Todd Ingersoll's partnershp statement and what was talked about yesterday at the newsconference. I find it very puzzling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L55's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L55 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #48
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Tell me (and I am being sincere here) what made you a fan of Saturn? What was it that brought you into it? Was it the idea of being all American?
It was the fact that it was all American, yes. More specifically, even as a kid I remember reading automotive magazine reviews, and I was saddened by the fact that the Japanese makers were kicking our ass. My grandparents and other family members had some terrible luck with 1980's GM vehicles, and switched over to Japanese makes (largely Toyota). My grandparents bought nothing but Toyota from 1986 on.

Then Saturn came along, and at first I was skeptical. But I picked up an issue of Consumer Reports, and what'dya know, while all the other American cars are getting much worse than average reliability marks, Saturn is actually up there at much better than average with the Japanese! So, that's really when I first took note of Saturn.

Quote:
Was it the customer service?
No, that was merely an afterthought. Didn't know a whole lot about the retail side of Saturn until I met Charlie in college!

Quote:
What kept you with us, and what has made you turn away?
To put it simply, built in Spring Hill was a big part of it. I don't care if the cars are built in another US factory, provided the quality and reliability are still above average, but importing a car from overseas takes away the main reason for my enthusiasm toward the brand. Also, I want a car with sleek, sporty styling, good crash test results, and a decent amount of techno-features for the money. In 1997, despite the no-haggle pricing, I was doing pretty well to get an SL2 with adaptive 4 speed auto, 4 wheel disc brakes, traction control, etc for the money I spent! Also, the timing chain was an idea I liked. The ease of maintenance, reliability reputation, and yes, the dent resistant body panels all were big factors in me choosing the Saturn over the other cars I test drove (all imports).

Quote:
If you had a say in the direction we can go right now, what would you want to see happen? I am asking this in all honesty, because we all have customers like VT, and Piney and all. Since they were our original supporters, I want to know what would get them back into our showrooms. Please folks, keep your flames and wise acre remarks to yourself. I am looking for input and answers from our "fans", past, present, and future.
Cheers,
Jill
First thing I look at is styling. I know, I'm superficial, but I don't want an ugly car no matter how good it is! Then if I like the looks of a car I'll check the IIHS crash test scores and the reliability ratings. If it meets those criteria, I'll research it further. I won't buy a car built in Mexico or certain other locations based on principle. (It's why I didn't consider a Ford Fusion, a car I otherwise like.) Really, I would love to see a modern "S Series" built in the US with the good 'ol polymer skin. But I know that's never gonna happen.

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #49
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Also, I still remember the first Saturn I ever saw! It was on display at Epcot Center in 1990. I thought it reminded me of my grandparents' '86 Toyota Camry more than a typical GM car.

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #50
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

No Proton and Yugo are not Japanese.

I think the point was made.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #51
MaxSL2
Advanced Member
MaxSL2 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I can't believe Mitsu could afford it, after all they used to still get $$ from Chryco. up until a couple of years ago.

However, just hypothetical here, if GM were to almost give Saturn away to Mitsu it could sort-of serve both positively.

I'm sure GM is way less afraid of losing market share to Mitsu than to China/India, so it would at least keep China/India out (for now) by their doing.

Mitsu on the other hand does have the very underused former Diamond-Star plant in Normal, IL that could definately stand to produce more products.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MaxSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MaxSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MaxSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #52
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My guess? Saturn gets liquidated along with Hummer, Pontiac and Saab when GM files Chapter 11 bankruptcy next month. Saturn isn't moving fast enough to save itself now. I think all the talk about a deal that we'll be 'excited about' is all just gasping for air and trying to stay relevant. Sorry for being a realist, but the clock is running down and there's no time for a last minute save.
When you speak of Saturn in what I boldfaced, I'm assuming you're referring to the franchise operations team? They really don't have any power to stop Fritz Henderson if he steers GM into bankruptcy court before the partner deal can be done, so yeah, the clock is ticking.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #53
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i just looked up mitsubishi stock and it is so bad its traded pink slips which is really bad. 1.12 a share . how are they going to buy saturn?. or maybe they arnt and we just get the cars from them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #54
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
i just looked up mitsubishi stock and it is so bad its traded pink slips which is really bad. 1.12 a share . how are they going to buy saturn?. or maybe they arnt and we just get the cars from them.
The timing of this makes this whole thing sound like a really cruel April Fool joke. Hopefully the FOT has a Plan B in mind - Peugeot, anyone?

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #55
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
My guess? Saturn gets liquidated along with Hummer, Pontiac and Saab when GM files Chapter 11 bankruptcy next month. Saturn isn't moving fast enough to save itself now. I think all the talk about a deal that we'll be 'excited about' is all just gasping for air and trying to stay relevant. Sorry for being a realist, but the clock is running down and there's no time for a last minute save.
I don't think you fully understand what often goes on in bankruptcy proceedings and your post indicates premature panic. Everyone from Obama on down prefers the GM situation be resolved as a pre-arranged reorganization and not some sort of fire-sale liquidation. If there is any truth to the story that GM is close to getting a reasonable offer for Saturn, why would a bankruptcy court stand in the way of that deal unless it could find an even better deal for all concerned? I am not suggesting that all the ducks are yet in line but Chapter 11 is meant to work out reasonable solutions exactly like the one the most recent Danbury sourced story has happening to Saturn. If the party acquiring Saturn is getting a fair deal with numbers that work to allow for future business success and the creditors of GM feel the transaction is acceptable in terms of them receiving a fair value in today's market that minimizes their losses, who is going to object?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #56
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

I was hoping Subaru. Mitsubishi? Thinking about it some more, I could care less. Nothing there is innovative. Hyundai is much more exciting than Mits, and Hyundai isn't very exciting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 PM   #57
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:

I tried to throw Saturn a bone by having them work on my car a month ago. They did $400 in unnecessary work and parts and basically told me to take a flying %^#! if I didn't like it. I would guess that comes from that great Saturn customer service ethic that is being laid waste while we speak.

"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #58
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
Why would Subaru do that when they're doing just fine on their own?

The new Legacy was just revealed, btw. I think it's ugly, and not nearly as sleek or well proportioned as the one it replaces. Oh well, I'll have to start saving for a BMW 328xi now!
Subaru has excess capacity at their Indiana plant. They currently building Camry's which Toyota don't currently need. IMO Subaru would jump at the opportunity to buils Saturn a few models. Nissan has the same extra capacity in Tenessee.

IMO if Saturn doesn't sell a car manufactured in North America they should just shut down.

I'm driving a 2009 Subaru Legacy AWD and it's a great driving car. A Saturn rebadge would be a car Saturn could be proud to sell.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:37 AM   #59
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSL2 View Post
I can't believe Mitsu could afford it, after all they used to still get $$ from Chryco. up until a couple of years ago.
It was Mercedes that put the kibosh on financing any more jokes from Mitsubishi. I forget how many billions it was going to cost to refinance Mitsu after there quality scandles nearly killed the company.

Former Mercedes boss Jurgen Schremp, who was at the time in charge of the whole Mercedes/Chysler/Mitsu/Hyundai empire tried to rally the Mercedes board to further his idea for a world car empire based from Stuttgart...well, it backfired royally for him, and the CEO of Chrysler, who was a transplanted German. Berhnhard openly challenged Schremp in the board room about the Mitsu problem, and ended up loosing his Job, costing Schremp his job, and forcing the breakup of the entire partnership. This actually where the demise of Chrysler started. Pretty scary how much happened in one meeting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #60
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10 View Post
If the party acquiring Saturn is getting a fair deal with numbers that work to allow for future business success and the creditors of GM feel the transaction is acceptable in terms of them receiving a fair value in today's market that minimizes their losses, who is going to object?
If you have the cash, and a longer field of view than the typical idiot american managers/ceo's, you could make the deal of a lifetime buying a car company right now.

The thing is, if the new Saturn is anything other than An AMERICAN experience, forget it. We don't need any more outlets for Japanese products. China...no thanks, you with the help of our corporate CEO's have already ruined our long term economic outlook. OPEL? I dunno...better than China I guess. OPEL needs to get out from under GM to survive, and they need more of a revenue stream than just germany and England(Vauxhaul), so maybe?

I read an article in the london times yesterday actually prescribing a little bit of protectionism as a great way for ALL the economies to recover. I wish I had a link...its great idea, and a very daring statement, since we foolishly always believe pure capatalism will save the day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote