SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Old 03-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
saturnplace
saturnplace is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn of Danbury owner announced new partnership that will ensure the brand's future

It looks like one of the FOT members thought today would be a good day to leak the new partnership?

Here's the article-

-- An owner of Saturn of Danbury said Monday that a partnership has been struck that will provide vehicles for the brand well into the future.

"In the next three weeks we will announce a long-term partnership that will provide Saturn with world class cars," said Todd Ingersoll, who owns the Saturn of Danbury and Saturn of Watertown. "This will ensure the brand not only survives but flourishes."

Ingersoll has been leading a task force organized by Saturn's Franchise Operations Team that has been looking at ways to spin off the brand from General Motors.

The task force was established in December after officials with GM said they would focus on four core brands of Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC and Buick.

"Saturn is a brand that is beloved by consumers," Ingersoll said. "We wanted to find another company that sees value in the brand. We think we've done it."

Ingersoll said Saturn will transition during the next two years from vehicles in the company's current line up produced by GM to vehicles that will be produced by the new long-term partner, which he declined to name.

He also declined to comment on whether the long-term partner would purchase the Saturn brand, provide vehicles for an independent Saturn or whether the future organization would be some hybrid of both.

The news comes on the heels Monday of Rich Wagner's resignation as GM's Chief Executive Officer. The resignation came at the request of the Obama administration.
saturnplace is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Re: Saturn of Danbury owner announced new partnership that will ensure the brand's fu

So does this mean that Saturn will remain under GM's umbrella with GM being a part owner?

I don't see this right now if this is the case. Remember the government is now the noisy partner for GM unless can find someone else.
DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
saturn of cary -Jill
saturn of cary -Jill is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Saturn of Danbury owner announced new partnership that will ensure the brand's fu

We have been going on the assumption that Saturn would be separate from GM. We have been hearing about the partnership for weeks, but no concrete details. But, good news for Saturn!
Cheers,
Jill
saturn of cary -Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Just in case anyone cares about verifying the source of the story, here is a link to the paper that published the article.

http://www.newstimes.com/latestnews/ci_12030235
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
NotSaturnSales1
NotSaturnSales1 is on a distinguished road

When I read the story above I felt especially good for the thousands of Saturn employees. I'm sure many of them will have the best sleep tonight that they've had in months.
NotSaturnSales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
jaman
jaman is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Attention Re: Saturn of Danbury owner announced new partnership that will ensure the brand's fu

OK , were waiting, and we've been waiting now for how long ?

I hope its true but personally , I'll believe it when I see it.
SPACE )))) )))) ))) THE FINAL FRONTIER ((( (((( (((( TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO SATURN HAS GONE BEFORE ((
jaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnplace View Post
Ingersoll said Saturn will transition during the next two years from vehicles in the company's current line up produced by GM to vehicles that will be produced by the new long-term partner, which he declined to name.
Two more years of ho-hum GM vehicles. That will be sure to spur Saturn sales from their current miserable levels.
Maybe if Saturn sells a rebadged Chevy Cruze instead of an Astra then they might have a chance of survival. Or not.
30 more days should tell the story. I don't think Obama and Fritz will let Saturn as we know it sell anything.
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
John10
Master Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
I don't think Obama and Fritz will let Saturn as we know it sell anything.
Why would Obama not want Saturn to be selling vehicles? Even in a worst case of a liquidation (which is not something anyone is yet predicting) it would be in the US Government's interest as a creditor for Saturn and every other GM brand to be selling every car they could. At some point the Administration may tell GM to stop producing Saturns but as long as there is inventory in the pipeline I can't see them stopping Saturn sales.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #9
DeMAN
Advanced Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10 View Post
Why would Obama not want Saturn to be selling vehicles? Even in a worst case of a liquidation (which is not something anyone is yet predicting) it would be in the US Government's interest as a creditor for Saturn and every other GM brand to be selling every car they could. At some point the Administration may tell GM to stop producing Saturns but as long as there is inventory in the pipeline I can't see them stopping Saturn sales.
The Vue would probable the only thing that GM would still keep making under your plan, which the Chevy Equinox could cover that. They could flip the switch on everything else and no one would ever notice. Any other company would want to sell there own cars. There are lots of non-Saturn vacant building (stealership) for any car company that could come to the US. It could end up being a combination of both.
DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL
Old 03-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
John10
Master Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMAN View Post
The Vue would probable the only thing that GM would still keep making under your plan, which the Chevy Equinox could cover that. They could flip the switch on everything else and no one would ever notice. Any other company would want to sell there own cars. There are lots of non-Saturn vacant building (stealership) for any car company that could come to the US. It could end up being a combination of both.
It's not my plan, its Obama's but I can assure you that he and the US government want as many people buying and selling cars as possible. I agree he may not care if they are called Saturns but he wants units sold. I watched his speech today live on my computer and he even spoke of using stimulus money to make large fleet purchases for the government to up sales. The difficult part of his plan will be how to "right size" the manufacturing capacity. The ideal manufacturing situation would be to reduce the number of plants and work them at near to full capacity. Of course we all know that writing plans and accurately predicting real world conditions can be two entirely different exercises as GM and the rest of the private sector have already discovered to their dismay.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:53 PM   #11
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

I'm not going to get too excited until I see who the new partner is.
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:25 AM   #12
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Hopefully they are world class, not 3rd world.
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #13
DeMAN
Advanced Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
It's not my plan, its Obama's but I can assure you that he and the US government want as many people buying and selling cars as possible. I agree he may not care if they are called Saturns but he wants units sold. I watched his speech today live on my computer and he even spoke of using stimulus money to make large fleet purchases for the government to up sales. The difficult part of his plan will be how to "right size" the manufacturing capacity. The ideal manufacturing situation would be to reduce the number of plants and work them at near to full capacity. Of course we all know that writing plans and accurately predicting real world conditions can be two entirely different exercises as GM and the rest of the private sector have already discovered to their dismay.
True. I agree, but automakers have plenty of close stealership to look at beside the Saturn network. Yes he want to reduce inventory but he wouldn't want the inventory to rebuild like it is now by having far to many brands. Saturn was a good idea who's time has passed because there company was mismanaged Saturn was allowed to exsist without proper support and R&D.

Mitsubishi for instance has closed three dealerships in my area. Saturn isn't the only company feeling this pain. Hyundai now builds there own engines now cut cut into Mitsubishi's bottom line. I think Chysler also kicked them to the curb.

Toyota can buy saturn and rebadge them as toyota and make a killing........ Im kidding.........
DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL
Old 03-31-2009, 05:45 PM   #14
John10
Master Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMAN View Post
True. I agree, but automakers have plenty of close stealership to look at beside the Saturn network. Yes he want to reduce inventory but he wouldn't want the inventory to rebuild like it is now by having far to many brands. Saturn was a good idea who's time has passed because there company was mismanaged Saturn was allowed to exsist without proper support and R&D.

Mitsubishi for instance has closed three dealerships in my area. Saturn isn't the only company feeling this pain. Hyundai now builds there own engines now cut cut into Mitsubishi's bottom line. I think Chysler also kicked them to the curb.

Toyota can buy saturn and rebadge them as toyota and make a killing........ Im kidding.........
I have no inside information but I am convinced that the Feds goal is to reduce GM's dealerships and brands to reduce overhead and to help consolidate and better target expensive advertising efforts. I think they ultimately would like GM to make as many sales as possible from many less facilities that would more strategically serve various market areas. IMO this is more about making both the company and the retail distribution network leaner than it is about reducing the number of vehicles sold.

Most companies are already reducing dealerships in response to the economy but it seems that the Feds want GM to expedite the process which may be one of the major reasons they are pushing the concept of a controlled bankruptcy. I have heard but cannot verify that such a bankruptcy may absolve GM of some or all of the contractual relationships it has with dealers. Like you, I have seen a number of GM and other dealerships close in my region and interestingly none of the closures were Saturn.

Based on the news from the facility owner in Danbury, CT and some comments I have read in business articles and heard today on the CNBC lunchtime business show, I now believe that there is a much higher probability that GM will be able to spin off the Saturn retail network in some as yet undisclosed manner. If that happens, the new Saturn entity will have strong incentive to maintain as many existing Saturn retail locations as possible because Saturn does not suffer from the same geographic overlap that plagues many other brands. I think it is clear that Saturn's future with GM is limited, but for the first time in weeks I now believe that the chance that Saturn has some future has moved to the positive side of the equation.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:14 PM   #15
bigbird

Quote:
I think it is clear that Saturn's future with GM is limited, but for the first time in weeks I now believe that the chance that Saturn has some future has moved to the positive side of the equation.
I agree. It can't and won't have anything to do with GM vehicles. It's got to be an entirely different product. I can even see them dropping the Saturn name. Unfortunately the Saturn name has some cheap and negative connotations for a lot of uninformed consumers. The speculation is intriguing. This would be a dull forum if Saturn was just being wound down and not spun off.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #16
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i would think that gm vehicles will eventually go away and the new ones all from mitsu
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:46 PM   #17
bigbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
i would think that gm vehicles will eventually go away and the new ones all from mitsu
I'd be OK with Mitsubishi as well. Saturn by Mits or Subie. Hurry up and get this party started.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:38 PM   #18
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

and the winner is.......mitsu
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:23 PM   #19
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Mitsubishi - whoa, didn't see that coming!

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:27 PM   #20
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

It'll be somewhat amusing watching the die-hard blindly loyal Saturn badge fans instantly become Mitsubishi fans now!
Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote