SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Jsolts
Jsolts is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1
Default 2 transmissions 1 year?

just over a year ago something in my differencial broke and shot through the tranny destroying it, flooding my clutch with oil. $2000 to fix

Monday morning while my girlfriend was driving it, it did the exact same thing.

the garages i have spoke to have told me that this is a common problem with these cars, due to cheap parts in the diff.

Is this true ?

What could have caused this, im a little ticket that i have to put another $2000 into the tranny.

Any comments / suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jsolts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jsolts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jsolts is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2
Default Re: 2 transmissions 1 year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsolts View Post
just over a year ago something in my differencial broke and shot through the tranny destroying it, flooding my clutch with oil. $2000 to fix
I sure hope that included some sort of lubricant.

Quote:
the garages i have spoke to have told me that this is a common problem with these cars, due to cheap parts in the diff.

Is this true ?
While not the best design, it can be avoided. Usually loss of traction on one or both wheels the suddenly gaining traction causes this. More so on manuals than automatics.

Quote:
What could have caused this, im a little ticket that i have to put another $2000 into the tranny.

Any comments / suggestions?
These transmissions can be found very, very cheap. A lot of us just disassemble it, weld the differential pin in place then reinstall it into the car.

You might want to find a different place to take your car to be repaired. More so since you've already spent more than your car is worth to repair the first transmission.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Jsolts

1997 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I sure hope that included some sort of lubricant.

While not the best design, it can be avoided. Usually loss of traction on one or both wheels the suddenly gaining traction causes this. More so on manuals than automatics.

These transmissions can be found very, very cheap. A lot of us just disassemble it, weld the differential pin in place then reinstall it into the car.

You might want to find a different place to take your car to be repaired. More so since you've already spent more than your car is worth to repair the first transmission.

Just talked to the garage and aparently my clutch it still ok so i dont have to replace that again - new cost $1100 plus tax.

You said trannys are cheap, what is considered cheap?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jsolts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Just talked to the garage and aparently my clutch it still ok so i dont have to replace that again - new cost $1100 plus tax.

You said trannys are cheap, what is considered cheap?
So the difference in replacing a tranny plus a clutch and just replacing the tranny is $900? For a $100 clutch? Same amount of work is involved. Just take an extra five minutes or less two R&R the clutch/pressure plate. It should be removed and cleaned anyway since its probably covered in tranny fluid.

I regularly pick up transmissions for $69.99. Every couple months pick-n-pull has a half priced weekends and I get them for $39.98. If I know a half priced weekend is coming up, I go there during the week and remove a couple transmissions. Then I hide them at the other end of the yard in a truck or van and come back during the weekend and pick them up.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Jsolts

1997 SC1

Quote:
So the difference in replacing a tranny plus a clutch and just replacing the tranny is $900? For a $100 clutch? Same amount of work is involved. Just take an extra five minutes or less two R&R the clutch/pressure plate. It should be removed and cleaned anyway since its probably covered in tranny fluid.

I regularly pick up transmissions for $69.99. Every couple months pick-n-pull has a half priced weekends and I get them for $39.98. If I know a half priced weekend is coming up, I go there during the week and remove a couple transmissions. Then I hide them at the other end of the yard in a truck or van and come back during the weekend and pick them up.
Thats awesome - unfortunately im not mechanically inclined enough to pull apart my transmission, what im amazed at is the fact that a used transmission + labour costs me $1000 (canadian) am i gettin robbed on labour?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

You're getting robbed on all fronts. Parts, labor, you name it. Geez for $1000 CDN I'll drive to your house and show you step by step how to fix it in your driveway. Seriously, a transmission on an S Series Saturn can be done in your driveway on your back with hand tools before lunch. You're getting raped, hardcore. As LowSaturn pointed out, replacing a clutch along with a transmission should be an extra 1/2 hour of labor MAX. The clutch kit itself can easily be had for $100-$150, so basically they're charging you an additional $900 for about 10 minutes worth of work. Find a new shop. Find someone on this board close to you who knows what they're doing. Seriously. Where in Canada are you? Edit your profile so your location shows up like the rest of us and you won't ever have to answer that again.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

What they're doing is charging as if they did the two jobs separately. Either the service writer knew that 95% of the labor is overlapping, or s/he didn't. If s/he did, it's fraud. If s/he didn't it's incompetence. In either case, I wouldn't spend another dime there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Jsolts

1997 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
You're getting robbed on all fronts. Parts, labor, you name it. Geez for $1000 CDN I'll drive to your house and show you step by step how to fix it in your driveway. Seriously, a transmission on an S Series Saturn can be done in your driveway on your back with hand tools before lunch. You're getting raped, hardcore. As LowSaturn pointed out, replacing a clutch along with a transmission should be an extra 1/2 hour of labor MAX. The clutch kit itself can easily be had for $100-$150, so basically they're charging you an additional $900 for about 10 minutes worth of work. Find a new shop. Find someone on this board close to you who knows what they're doing. Seriously. Where in Canada are you? Edit your profile so your location shows up like the rest of us and you won't ever have to answer that again.
Hahaha Im tempted to take you up on that offer.
I just picked up the car from the garage, had to pay, needed it back asap.
i know im a sucker, but situations forced me to do what i had to do.
Total with tax was $1222.
Acording to the reciept - a used tranny was $599, and they replaced a couple of seals for $10 a piece, - personally from what you tell me i dont see how theres another $600 worth of labour on that.

And i took your advice and edited my profile. Im in Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-14-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
RobTheHillbilly
RobTheHillbilly is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
1992 SL2

Quote:
Sneeky, very sneeky............ too bad we don't have yards like that around here. Most of the time I get " We aint got no Saturns" from the yard here

Proud owner of a 93 SL2
"I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far;
For a might have-been was a never been, but a has-been was once an are."
Milton Berle

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobTheHillbilly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobTheHillbilly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobTheHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
Jsolts

1997 SC1

Alright - so im about to go postal!!!

Paid 1200 to fix tranny, i pick up the car and its running a bit rough, when you start from a dead stop in 1st, or cuising around in a parking lot in 2nd (low rps) it felt like something is grinding or rubbing. So i took the car back to the garage and told them to fix it. They told me that the grinding was because the casing from the new tranny is slightly thicker then the old one.

I told the guy that made no sense to me, shouldn't all trannys be the exact same size, and he says no.

So then they "fix" the problem, i pick up the car, drive it twice, once home, and once to the store, on my way to the store, it stalls and wont start.

i push it onto a side street and leave it there for the night.

So i walk into the shop the next morning, toss the keys on the counter and say call me when its fixed.

They call me tell me that the timing chain snapped. - But i have what is called an interference engine - what that means is when the chain snaps - it wrecks the piston - which wrecks this and that - AND NOW I NEED A NEW ENGINE!

WHAT THE F%@%@ IS GOING ON HERE!

After 15 mins of yelling at them, they tell me that there is no way the two problems are connected.

Am i crazy....did they f my car?

PLease advise

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
Low Saturn

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
it felt like something is grinding or rubbing. So i took the car back to the garage and told them to fix it. They told me that the grinding was because the casing from the new tranny is slightly thicker then the old one.

I told the guy that made no sense to me, shouldn't all trannys be the exact same size, and he says no.
1991-2002 automatic transmission casings are almost identical. The only difference is the deletion of the front mount provision and threaded provisions for the upper mount which appeared in 1992. Neither of which would effect anything in your car. So their explanation there is total B.S.

Quote:
They call me tell me that the timing chain snapped. - But i have what is called an interference engine - what that means is when the chain snaps - it wrecks the piston - which wrecks this and that - AND NOW I NEED A NEW ENGINE!
If the timing chain really did snap and there were no noticable signs beforehand, then they obviously did something wrong. The transmission connects to the crank, the crank connects to the timing chain. So it is possible the two could be related.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #12
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Has the oil been checked/changed regularly?

Did you check the oil after the car left the shop?

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #13
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Have they provided visual proof of ANYTHING they're saying? If not, why do you keep tossing the keys on their counter?

Timing chains don't snap. Their guides and tensioners wear, as do the chains and sprockets themselves. They make a LOT of noise LONG before they eventually fail.

You need to start trusting your own understanding and judgement about how these cars (and cars in general) work, rather than trusting mechanics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #14
Jsolts

1997 SC1

Quote:
1991-2002 automatic transmission casings are almost identical. The only difference is the deletion of the front mount provision and threaded provisions for the upper mount which appeared in 1992. Neither of which would effect anything in your car. So their explanation there is total B.S.

If the timing chain really did snap and there were no noticable signs beforehand, then they obviously did something wrong. The transmission connects to the crank, the crank connects to the timing chain. So it is possible the two could be related.

They told me that as far as they were concerned, it is 2 seperate incidents that have nothing to do with eachother.

When they fixed it the first time and put the new tranny in, and i took it back cause i wasnt happy- they called me and said they fixed the problem with the rough sounds. But they said the noise was comming from under the hood and it sounded like a sewing machine.

- no i did not check the oil - i drove it home - 2 mins away

and then it died when i took it to the store

called the saturn dealer ship and all they can find is a used engine - 2200 in total for install

REWARD EXCELLENCE!