SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
AJR
Advanced Member
AJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default whine/groan from new AC Compressor

Not having much luck with my L lately. Over the past several months, I've had a new high pressure AC line and condenser installed due to leaks. Then, about a month ago, I needed a new compressor due to a leaking seal.

Today, I noticed a 'significant' groaning/whining sound while accelerating. It has a new tensioner and belt. So I had a thought...I turned off the AC and it was instantly quiet. Turned the AC back on and the noise was back. The clutch does kick in.

With the hood up at idle, I was able to rev it a little from under the hood and you can definitely hear it with the clutch running and it's quiet with the clutch off.

I never had a bad sound from the last compressor during any of the leaks. Has anyone ever had this issue with a brand new compressor? It's not a rebuilt.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2015, 12:31 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: whine/groan from new AC Compressor

Your descriptions seem to be about possible lack of compressor oil. Were guidelines followed to fill the new compressor with fresh PAG oil equivalent to old oil poured out the old one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
AJR
Advanced Member
AJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Your descriptions seem to be about possible lack of compressor oil. Were guidelines followed to fill the new compressor with fresh PAG oil equivalent to old oil poured out the old one?
Yes, everything was done to specs for that job. However, today brought some new light to the situation. Yesterday afternoon was very hot and the noise I described was loud. I called the shop and they told me to bring it in this morning.

This morning it's cool here and the compressor did not make any noise for most of the way there. Cooling was good. By the time I got there, it was making a little noise, but nothing like yesterday. So it seems to be heat related.

They checked the pressure and everything was spot on, so at least there are no new leaks. Summer is just starting, so we agreed to wait until it gets hotter out to see what shows up.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
Zsolt
Zsolt is on a distinguished road

I recently had some A/C issues with my L200. And though my compressor originally did not work due to the BCM. Once fixed, I also experienced a similar groan/whining sound that would come and go. Though my pressure's were spot on, the issue seemed to be air in the system. I would highly recommend draining and refilling the system completely to eliminate possible air trapped in the line. This can occur even with experienced shops is they have a small bubble of air in their fill lines when working on your system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zsolt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zsolt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zsolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:30 PM   #5
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Interesting possibility regarding air in the system. I'll ask about that as well as the PAG oil. Thanks guys. Now I just have to wait for some hot weather. That's when it makes the most noise. We have gone from needing AC to heat in the house.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Old 05-12-2015, 12:38 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It should be noted; whenever an a/c system is repaired, evacuating a repaired system removes all air and moisture for a near perfect vacuum to introduce oil, refrigerant and dye. Once a repair is properly assured of a pressure proof seal, the system is considered restored to factory condition. No air or moisture in the system, the enemy of a/c systems. As long as new leaks haven't occurred (diminished cooling), there may be only one or two reasons for a noisy compressor; lack of incorrect oil amount when repairs were made or the compressor is announcing its demise. Presuming oil is correct or close to correct amount leaves the compressor itself with many internal mechanical parts to wear out - the main reason for lubricating oil. A leak occurring again means less refrigerant to move oil around. Less oil being moved around means less oil lubricating the compressor - squealing, whining, noisy. A leak should be considered first before the next suggestion. While not suggested in most situations, if a leak hasn't occurred perhaps no more than an ounce of pag oil along with a small charge of r134a may help, the small canisters sold as oil make up to inject into a system.

Diagnosing a failing compressor is a topic by itself.

Last edited by fdryer; 05-12-2015 at 12:44 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote