SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 11-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #1
tpdtopcop
tpdtopcop is on a distinguished road

Default Remote start and lock/unlock aftermarket system?

Hi all,

In need of remote start and lock/unlock aftermarket system for my 94 SL. What is the consensus on what to get. I assume since I have power lock and unlock that I can get an aftermarket system to use a fob instead of key.
tpdtopcop is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2020, 02:52 AM   #2
Zeebins
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2
Default Re: Remote start and lock/unlock aftermarket system?

Will you be installing it yourself or having a shop do it? I put this one in myself earlier this year. It can be used to remote lock/unlock the doors as well, but I don’t have that set up on mine. Starts the car from well over 100ft away. (After getting a new antenna that is, the one that came in the box was broken) I think the manual rates it for up to 500ft.

https://www.amazon.com/DIRECTED-570T.../dp/B00SELAG24

It’s a pretty old system, but being old also makes it cheap and fairly simple to install. A more modern one would have more modern features though like a 2 way remote or an even app on your phone if youre interested in that.
97 SL2, auto, 121K miles
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Nice item Zeebins, but this Amazon one is Remote start only, not keyless entry.
Seems the OP only wanted the remote keyless entry and nothing about starting?
The Amazon ad specifically says it does not lock or unlock doors.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:04 AM   #4
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I thought that any Saturn that had electric locks also had keyless entry. Just need to get key fobs and program it. Here is a helpful guide to programming the remotes:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59192

It would seem best if you got a remote starter that would work with the factory keyless entry.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:10 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
I thought that any Saturn that had electric locks also had keyless entry. Just need to get key fobs and program it. Here is a helpful guide to programming the remotes:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59192

It would seem best if you got a remote starter that would work with the factory keyless entry.
Only '96+ got keyless entry w/ power locks. '97+ also got security. '96-'99 can be programmed at home, '00-'02 you have to stop at the drug store for some lube first before heading off to the dealership. There have been hints about special '95's also getting RKE but I've not seen anything in the wild about it actually existing so I assume it's like the SL3 that was plastered all over the '93 owners manual.

There is no central control box '91-'95 for the power locks, they're just wired such that hitting the button locks/unlocks all the doors while using the key locks/unlocks only the door.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:27 PM   #6
Zeebins
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Nice item Zeebins, but this Amazon one is Remote start only, not keyless entry.
Seems the OP only wanted the remote keyless entry and nothing about starting?
The Amazon ad specifically says it does not lock or unlock doors.
Not sure why, it’s the same exact model number as mine. Are you referring to the question section? I have a feeling the seller doesn’t know what their talking about. The first review mentioned keyless entry works fine

Just incase it is different for some reason...here’s the exact same listing I bought mine from. https://www.ebay.com/itm/293327748743
97 SL2, auto, 121K miles
Old 11-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #7
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Neither the Amazon nor the Ebay one mention RKE, only remote start
You did say, you did not hook up the RKE on yours.
How many buttons on your remote then?
Has to be at least 3 buttons.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Neither the Amazon nor the Ebay one mention RKE, only remote start
You did say, you did not hook up the RKE on yours.
How many buttons on your remote then?
Has to be at least 3 buttons.
Two, left one starts/ stops the car. The right button locks/ unlocks the doors.

Here’s the installation manual.
http://www.directeddealers.com/manua...570T_08-05.pdf
97 SL2, auto, 121K miles
Old 11-10-2020, 04:57 PM   #9
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

That's a good installation manual.
All my other cars with remote start have a minimum of 3 buttons.
These sellers (as you [I]correctly[/I ]indicated) are missing out on sales by not knowing what their actually selling.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #10
tpdtopcop

I am looking for something that locks and unlocks my doors as well a remote start. To save money I can install myself but like the idea of two way remote also.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #11
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

I installed RKE in my '94 SL2 HKE a few years ago. I can say absolutely that it's a pain in the butt locating the wires to the factory door lock/unlock relays.

In my case, the manuals state that those relays were under the console and/or passenger front seat. I NEVER found them. I opted to wire in to the wires going to the power lock switch in the driver's door, but to do it inside the car behind the driver's side kick panel. Even THAT wasn't easy to get to. You have to remove the plastic kick panel, then remove a rubber"ish" panel behind the kick panel. The wires are behind THAT. You only need to hook up to two wires there (lock and unlock). You can get your power and ground from the fuse block which is MUCH easier to get at. I actually powered my RKE unit from the circuit to power the electric windows, thinking that the windows are used rarely and the circuitry is designed to carry a lot more current than the RKE brain will ever draw.

My RKE unit also has a trunk unlock channel (unused) and is capable of disabling the starter circuit. It can also unlock the driver's door only using an additional relay and wiring (I installed this). It has a valet switch (hanging in the glovebox) to disable the starter interupt, and a flashing LED mounted in a hole in the screw cover in the corner of the dash.

The cool thing about the 3rd channel for the trunk latch: it can be used to operate a separate remote start module instead, by holding the trunk button on the remote for a specific number of seconds.

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:04 PM   #12
tpdtopcop

Well I have called several places to get remote start and lock unlock installed and everybody is around $260. Is there any aftermarket that I can install that has good directions for the locations of the wires I need to tap into? I would rather buy something for 100 and save on the installation and do it myself