SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 11-08-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
Homecoming1999
Homecoming1999 is just really niceHomecoming1999 is just really niceHomecoming1999 is just really niceHomecoming1999 is just really nice

1999 SL2
Default Power windows slow?....Try this tip..!

Hey guys, I am sure a lot of us experience slow windows going up and down at some point, especially the ones we do not use as much....rear for example. I was told by my mechanic to buy some good white lithium grease in a spray can and spray it in the tracks of where the windows go up and down, the little groove where the glass sits in on both sides of the window. This made a huge difference for me. Once you raise and lower the window a few times and "work the grease in" you can audibly hear the difference in the power window motor. They also go up and down much faster.

Cheers all

Jason
Homecoming1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Power windows slow?....Try this tip..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homecoming1999 View Post
Hey guys, I am sure a lot of us experience slow windows going up and down at some point, especially the ones we do not use as much....rear for example. I was told by my mechanic to buy some good white lithium grease in a spray can and spray it in the tracks of where the windows go up and down, the little groove where the glass sits in on both sides of the window. This made a huge difference for me. Once you raise and lower the window a few times and "work the grease in" you can audibly hear the difference in the power window motor. They also go up and down much faster.

Cheers all

Jason
Maybe I'll give that a shot. My passenger side front.... the one I use most often... is slow.
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 19X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
Ricketts
Ricketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of light

2000 SC1

On the first gen Miatas, this is quite common. The fix for them was to clean the guide out as best you could with alcohol and qtips, then they would use Honda Shin-Etsu grease. in the rails.

Its really just a silicone grease, so probably anything like that would do
2000 SC1 - Bone Stock
No power windows, no power locks, no AC, no cruise control...just a good DD that has nothing to break on it
Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
termite
termite is a jewel in the roughtermite is a jewel in the roughtermite is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

I have been using silicone spray every once in a while and itís been working for me.
It's GOOD to have a spare!
termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homecoming1999 View Post

Cheers all

Jason
I pour Dot 5 silicone brake fluid down the tracks. I have never used lithium or petroleum type greases because I was unsure as to how they'd affect the rubber. As in your experience, however, the lubrication makes operating both electric and crank windows a breeze. Also, wiping Dot 5 or ru-glide on the door gaskets makes for a quieter and less squeeeeeeeky ride.
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:47 PM   #6
C52
C52 is a jewel in the roughC52 is a jewel in the roughC52 is a jewel in the rough

1997 SW2

My power windows will not even go down unless I assist by pulling down on the glass with my hand. They go back up fine. I tried cleaning the tracks with alcohol and Q-tips and they seemed to work a bit better, but applying a thick PB blaster white spray lithium grease to the track brought my windows to a stop once again. I notice my glass shifts to one side when I try to open the window, I suspect some other problem inside of the door.
C52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #7
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by C52 View Post
My power windows will not even go down unless I assist by pulling down on the glass with my hand. They go back up fine. I tried cleaning the tracks with alcohol and Q-tips and they seemed to work a bit better, but applying a thick PB blaster white spray lithium grease to the track brought my windows to a stop once again. I notice my glass shifts to one side when I try to open the window, I suspect some other problem inside of the door.
I know that others here have indicated success with petroleum type greases such as litheum, but you really don't want to use a petroleum grease on rubber. It both swells and damages the rubber, and getting the rubber to un-swell takes a very long time. I once used it on brake caliper pins, and the rubber bushings swelled and seized the pins. This made for all sorts of problems.

What you really want is a silicone grease or oil, and without a petroleum carrier such as kerosene. Silicone grease (dielectric grease) can be rubbed into the rubber window channels, but it won't get down into the lower part much. Go to NAPA and buy yourself some Dot 5 silicone brake fluid. With a v shaped piece of cardboard aimed into the window channel, trickle a bit of fluid down the track. Operate the window a few times to distribute. You'll have to clean excess off the glass, but eventually that goes away.

If your rubber tracks are swollen, you're going to have to wait a long time for them to de-swell, though silicone oil might help things. Hopefully other damage wasn't done.
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:48 PM   #8
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Why all the bother to put something DOWN the channel?
All I have ever done on any car is to lower the glass, then use spray silicone with one of those tubes attached to the nozzle, spray both tracks ABOVE the sash, then raise the glass back up into the newly sprayed upper channels. Works every time and for like a year.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:48 PM   #9
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

When I got my '98 the driver's window was very slow. I used silicone lube on the tracks and it improved for a while. Ultimately I had to replace the motor and while it was apart I cleaned and lubed the whole regulator mechanism. It works a lot better now.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:06 PM   #10
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Dot 5 brake fluid is something I never would have thought of.

I really need to shop for a new can of silicone spray. The last stuff I bought is garbage. Whatever the carrier is, it fades plastic. I've got light spots on the plastic on my Saturn and my truck because of it.
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 19X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote