SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 11-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #1
Sawdst
Sawdst is on a distinguished road

Default Lifting PLanet Saturn

Time to do the annual rustproof snows etc even though weather is stunning right now. each time i lift this car I struggle a bit, im used the wally wagon where things are big and heavy and on the Saturn I lift and always find the plywood under the jack and the stand are running into the jack. Also it lifts different than the wally, its big and it flexes the Saturn is like a flat pancake and I lift one place then see some other place lifting as well.

today first time I lift from the front bar that goes side to side and that made it simple for the front one lifting point and stands in and done. back not so, hte A frame thing from side to side seems thick and strong yet as I started to lift the voice inside said its flexing a little bit. i realize flexing a bit and bending are too different things. So to be sure I put one jack on each side and lifted from each side a bit at a time. That was fine and putting the stands towards the back was simple for a change.

This car is solid so im not concerned about metal that inst as thick as it started. I rst proof it and other than being filthy there is factory paint below that filth.

Is it safe to lift with one jack in the middle on the a frame. I could make a long piece of wood as well so that there is some force to the outsides rather than just the center.

thanks in advance,

Got this car with 101 k on it and have put on 50k. had the exhaust flex thing go on it which is fine, Didnt like the story from the local exhaust place so went to a custom hot rod shop and they did an excellent repair. Next the WW wiper mechanism but other than that its been reliable and good.
Sawdst is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #2
Sawdst
Sawdst is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Lifting PLanet Saturn

I saw a totally different style of Stand that I think was originally posted on this site. Pricey but would make all easier., The top of the stand goes on the jack and you raise the car higher then insert the leg each side of he stand and lower it, then lower the jack and back it out.

I did lift from the A frame thing at the back but put two jacks one side to side. I think I also read a post that said if you lift these cars on one side the other side will lift and I saw that last night. My other cars not a chance.

I did use the front beam and didnt feel it stressed anything, that made it easy to just lift and put the two front jacks in.
Sawdst is offline   Reply With Quote