SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #1
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL
Default Running board

Hi all,
Going to be replacing my running board (the long strip of black plastic that runs, below and all along the front and back door) on the side of my 97 SL. Going to a Pick & Pull and wonder if the right or left sides are interchangeable? Even though I need the one on the driver's side of the car, I'd prefer to snag one on the passenger side because they are usually in better shape. (In the picture, the running board is between the two, red lines.) Thanks for any input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saturn running board.jpg (204.3 KB, 31 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Default Re: Running board

They have different part numbers according to what I can find. Can't hurt to pull both from a car in the yard and compare and see what the differences are though.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaervak View Post
They have different part numbers according to what I can find. Can't hurt to pull both from a car in the yard and compare and see what the differences are though.
Okay, thank you for your input. I'll pull both and see if I can mount the left on the right side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

Why not put on a ‘real’ running board? I’ll bet that cat would appreciate a free lift around town. You could slow down and watch him hop off in front of the fish store.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #5
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
Why not put on a ‘real’ running board? I’ll bet that cat would appreciate a free lift around town. You could slow down and watch him hop off in front of the fish store.
Hey, the "king" around here has enough things to play with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I wouldn't think they would be the same as they are held in with plastic retainer pins top and bottom. The alignment wouldn't be the same due to the different lengths of doors and what not.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
I wouldn't think they would be the same as they are held in with plastic retainer pins top and bottom. The alignment wouldn't be the same due to the different lengths of doors and what not.
Okay, I'll make sure it fits on the "junker" before I buy. Do you know if it's just a matter of pulling it straight off the clips? Thanks,
Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

5-6 clips on the bottom, another one on 1, maybe both, ends hidden under plastic. Then you have to slide it either forward or back to get it off. I don't remember which direction, but there should be a stopper lip on one side that isn't on the other, slide in the direction the stopper lip is on.

Hopefully you find a '96-'99 SL2 of the same body color so you can upgrade the bumpers and exterior door handles too

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #9
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
5-6 clips on the bottom, another one on 1, maybe both, ends hidden under plastic. Then you have to slide it either forward or back to get it off. I don't remember which direction, but there should be a stopper lip on one side that isn't on the other, slide in the direction the stopper lip is on.

Hopefully you find a '96-'99 SL2 of the same body color so you can upgrade the bumpers and exterior door handles too
I would think you would slide it forward, just because of hitting something under there would force the whole bar backward, to possibly pop off but I'll see when I get there. So you mean pull out on the whole thing first, then slide it either forward or backward?
Yes, I would like to especially upgrade the four handles but I kind of like the bumper being black because they usually get all scraped up and when mine does, I just paint it again with flat black. Looks pretty good. In fact, I'm due now. Thank you for the advice and info!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post
Okay, I'll make sure it fits on the "junker" before I buy. Do you know if it's just a matter of pulling it straight off the clips? Thanks,
Jerry
The retainer pins are part number 11589289 and look like the photo below. You pry up on them to release and then re-position your pry tool and pull them out. You can see the slight notch in the photo where you would put your pry tool.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #11
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
The retainer pins are part number 11589289 and look like the photo below. You pry up on them to release and then re-position your pry tool and pull them out. You can see the slight notch in the photo where you would put your pry tool.

Oh, okay! Yes, they use those all over the place on my Saturn. After they're out then you must also slide the whole bar left or right, then off? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

I think Saturn calls it a rocker panel. See step 2 here

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...lswfender.html

GM Nalley or one of those parts sites might show a diagram of where all the pins are

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #13
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I think Saturn calls it a rocker panel. See step 2 here

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...lswfender.html

GM Nalley or one of those parts sites might show a diagram of where all the pins are
Ah, yes. Those are great, fast to remove, etc. Sometime I munch them up but I'll be careful and bring all the extra ones with me from the j. yard. I know it looks very easy but I've found that many times, there's that little "forward or reverse slide" or trick you must do or you'll break something off. Thank you for the ref. drawings!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2017, 01:09 AM   #14
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Well, just got done painting my old bumpers and they look pretty darn good! In the past, I would spray paint them and let the coats build up. Looked terrible. This time, before just going to the junkyard to replace with another junkyard bumper cover, I had nothing to lose by trying to sand the current bumper on my car, then paint. Well, I used fine sandpaper and "dead flat" black paint. (Rustoleum, black, flat spray paint from Home Depot that is able to be used on metal, wood or plastic) Less than four bucks a can. Used one can per bumper but again, these bumpers had been painted in the past.

I really, really sanded the heck out of them and wore some of the "texture" down in the bad spots but it's so hard to notice, you have to be actually looking close up to notice. Who knew that plastic was so hard? I then resanded with a very fine sandpaper and then spray painted.
The whole "trick" to getting an even, flat layer of paint is to paint the bumper from at least a foot or more, away----"misting" it on. The closer you get with the spray paint, the more "shiney" and uneven spots you get. By being far away from the bumper, you waste a lot of paint but it goes on flat and even. Hides a lot of marks. Really happy with the results!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!