SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
timl865
timl865 has a spectacular aura abouttiml865 has a spectacular aura abouttiml865 has a spectacular aura about

Default Cluster swap

Just a quick question... do any other Saturn clusters work in an L series? Vue Maybe? Just curious.. thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to timl865's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help timl865 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
timl865 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2017, 12:12 AM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Cluster swap

Based on a comparison of part numbers of the model years which overlap between the two vehicles, the answer is no. Now, what is unknown is how much of the difference is due to cosmetic design and/or how much relates to the electronics. Based on some of the numbers I viewed it appears that there might be some closeness between the '03 Vue and the '04 and '05 L-Series cars. No one else in this forum has tried to swap a cluster between these vehicles. If you make that attempt then you'll be the one who will tell us if it works or not.

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #3
soulsurvives
soulsurvives has a spectacular aura aboutsoulsurvives has a spectacular aura aboutsoulsurvives has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
No one else in this forum has tried to swap a cluster between these vehicles.
Well I wouldn't say that. I have swapped in clusters from other Saturn's. The only direct fit, full functioning cluster would have to come from another L, however vue, equinox, and torrent clusters fit. The white face vue cluster looks great as it has needles that are back lit. There are issues tho. When you install the vue cluster the "service wrench" and "brake " indicator lights show up. Also in the vue cluster the reduced power icon is where the low washer fluid icon is on the L cluster. I took a white cluster from a vue and removed the face. I then removed the silver face from the wife's L cluster and put the vue cluster face on. It looks good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
soulsurvives
soulsurvives has a spectacular aura aboutsoulsurvives has a spectacular aura aboutsoulsurvives has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

With chrome rings.

Without chrome

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurvives View Post
Well I wouldn't say that. I have swapped in clusters from other Saturn's.
Then I stand corrected!

Quote:
The only direct fit, full functioning cluster would have to come from another L, however vue, equinox, and torrent clusters fit. The white face vue cluster looks great as it has needles that are back lit. There are issues tho. When you install the vue cluster the "service wrench" and "brake " indicator lights show up. Also in the vue cluster the reduced power icon is where the low washer fluid icon is on the L cluster.
So are you saying that the service wrench and brake tell-tale warning lamps remain on at all times?

Quote:
The only direct fit, full functioning cluster would have to come from another L...I took a white cluster from a vue and removed the face. I then removed the silver face from the wife's L cluster and put the vue cluster face on. It looks good.
The picture of the instrument cluster with chrome really looks good!

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
soulsurvives

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Then I stand corrected!

So are you saying that the service wrench and brake tell-tale warning lamps remain on at all times?

Yes...they stay lit, but don't cause any issues that I'm aware of. The vue cluster as is looks great at night. It's all back lit including the red needles. There is also none of the stadium lights. If you really wanted to you could pull the face off and put tape over the led bulbs and it would look normal. I tried to drill holes in the back of an L cluster to add lights to make the needles glow, but there is circuits that get in the way. So the wife now has the vue white face plate over the stock L300 gauge cluster with the L300 needles. The red ones from the vue do not show well at night when not back lit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2017, 10:31 PM   #7
timl865
timl865 has a spectacular aura abouttiml865 has a spectacular aura abouttiml865 has a spectacular aura about

That's why I asked. My 05 vue that was trashed during sandy had the nice white faces and glowing needles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to timl865's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help timl865 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
timl865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:40 AM   #8
soulsurvives

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timl865 View Post
That's why I asked. My 05 vue that was trashed during sandy had the nice white faces and glowing needles.
Yeah that sucks big time. A vue cluster will plug right in and work, but it won't be perfect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!