SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #1
ethan_henrichs
ethan_henrichs is on a distinguished road

Happy Saturn SL1 Problems

I recently took my 01í Sl1 to get the ses light checked again and instead of just a P0741 code like it had I now have every code related to the torque converter clutch solenoid. It says both stuck on and stuck off which confuses me as to which itís doing. I change the tcc fuse every time I drive and there is no damage to the wiring harness so there is no short. The car also made a angry sounding hum when parent placing any pressure on the gas pedal since I got it. I also noticed a loud knocking/ ticking sound on cold start and it goes until I either let the car warm or if I put it in gear then back to park it stops so I donít know what to do. The other code it has is for the egr valve and I have no idea what to do to fix my transmission. It also has the all to common hard shift in 3rd always between 35mph to 40mph then it slips into 4th and when it gets to 4th good it jerks like itís trying to stall makes a loud clunk noise blowing the fuse then goes on fine and shifts hard. It also likes to slam into reverse. Any ideas on how to fix it. I love the car to death even though itís seen a lot and is beat. I also canít afford a new valve body even if I were to do it myself. Any ideas or suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ethan_henrichs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ethan_henrichs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ethan_henrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Saturn SL1 Problems

How many miles on it, and how many miles since the transmission was drained, filter replaced and new Dexron III fluid put back in?
Should be done like every 30K miles at minimum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #3
ethan_henrichs

Itís approaching 190400 miles and Iíve checked the transmission fluid and itís all good so I donít know what all else could be causing this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ethan_henrichs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

All good, however; how many miles since it was drained and a new filter put on, and what specific transmission fluid is in it?
It may not seem important, but it may be part of the solution.

How many miles have you yourself put on the car, over 30K?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
ethan_henrichs

Iím not sure when it was changed what filter or what fluid is in it as I havenít changed it since I bought it since I got it this summer and it all looked good when I gave it a look. Iíve only put around 2000-3000ish miles on it I also know it will need a oil change again soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2019, 12:54 PM   #6
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_henrichs View Post
Iím not sure when it was changed what filter or what fluid is in it as I havenít changed it since I bought it since I got it this summer and it all looked good when I gave it a look. Iíve only put around 2000-3000ish miles on it I also know it will need a oil change again soon.
Once, out of ignorance, I went 63,000 miles between transmission services and could feel little wrong with my automatic yet when the work was done I felt a BIG change in how she drove.

Prior to the work, the fluid looked fine and even smelled proper, so those two things are no indication that your fluids are actually doing their job, as I learned.

Since you have no knowledge of when the transmission was serviced, due to the symptoms you explain, that would be a good place to start per toggenburg.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote