SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
cjhsa
cjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the rough

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Gas Tank Won't Fill All the Way

The last few times I've filled up, I get back in the car, drive a couple miles, and the needle will be below the full mark. If I stop and gas up again, it will take as much as a gallon more.

Since I can consistently drive a mile or two and put in another gallon, this doesn't sound like a pump issue. There must be something in the gas tank/nozzle that is causing back pressure.

Once, a few years ago, I couldn't get it to take any gas AT ALL. I tried two stations, finally drove home on fumes, tried again, and got it to fill.

Any thoughts?

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cjhsa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cjhsa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cjhsa is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
tomster
tomster is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Gas Tank Won't Fill All the Way

Sounds like something is stuck down there or damaged somehow.
If you take something long thin and flexible maybe you can poke it down there and shove it farther into the tank. If not you'll have to figure how to get that out.

2007 VUE 2.2 5M
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 5M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tomster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tomster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomster View Post
Sounds like something is stuck down there or damaged somehow.
If you take something long thin and flexible maybe you can poke it down there and shove it farther into the tank. If not you'll have to figure how to get that out.
Ask for one of the following next time you expect a gift. They have been cheaper. I bought one to look inside foundation for termites (didn't have but wife paid $1200 for a professional to treat and guarantee ).

At any rate - these things work great - provides razor sharp lighted pix of objects and the cable is about three feet in length.

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...era-67979.html

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
roberto1
roberto1 is on a distinguished road

Had the same problem. Gas station guy said i had air in my gas tank. He also said he had run into the same problem a few times. I went to my mechanic and he said he has no idea. Ignored the problem and in time it went away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to roberto1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help roberto1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
roberto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
cjhsa
cjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the rough

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Ask for one of the following next time you expect a gift. They have been cheaper. I bought one to look inside foundation for termites (didn't have but wife paid $1200 for a professional to treat and guarantee ).

At any rate - these things work great - provides razor sharp lighted pix of objects and the cable is about three feet in length.

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...era-67979.html
Cool. One of those stores just opened right near me too, been meaning to check it out. Thanks!

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cjhsa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cjhsa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cjhsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Venom
Venom is on a distinguished road

Sounds like an issue with the tank vent not working properly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Venom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Venom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Sounds like an issue with the tank vent not working properly.
That's an excellent thought ... are you suspecting Item 7 in thumbnail?

I suppose the nozzle clogs fill tunnel - so if vent valve is sticky - it'd trap fumes in tank - possibly increasing pressure enough to trip auto shutoff. device.

I've never dropped a tank but think I'd try a shot - or two - of additive to see if I could improve operation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05 Vue - EVAP System Parts.jpg (167.6 KB, 23 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsa View Post
The last few times I've filled up, I get back in the car, drive a couple miles, and the needle will be below the full mark. If I stop and gas up again, it will take as much as a gallon more.

Since I can consistently drive a mile or two and put in another gallon, this doesn't sound like a pump issue. There must be something in the gas tank/nozzle that is causing back pressure.

Once, a few years ago, I couldn't get it to take any gas AT ALL. I tried two stations, finally drove home on fumes, tried again, and got it to fill.

Any thoughts?
Venom's post led me to rethink my position on fuel tank fillng.

The service manual has suggestions for poor fill quality - see thumbnail.

Manual also has procedures to inspect and remove the fuel fill hose. Steps don't appear to be overly intimidating. Let me know if you'd like to have.

There are three tube/hoses between the fuel fill port and fuel tank including fuel fill, fresh air and tank vent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vue Poor Fuel Fill.jpg (129.7 KB, 29 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!