SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #1
Tackl123
Tackl123 is on a distinguished road

Default Aura remote start

Hi. Iím installing remote start in my 2007 aura xe. It was going great until I got to the starter wire. It says on the installation sheet for the auraís that the starter wire can be found under the hood by the fuse box or at the starter. Doesnít tell me any colors and I cannot find the right one. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be great.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tackl123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tackl123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tackl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Aura remote start

Every starter uses two wires, the large red battery cable and a smaller wire. Both are on separate terminals. A third wire on the same starter terminal with the battery cable sends power to the alternator. The single wire on the starter (small) terminal is the START wire, a 12v signal sent from either a start relay for electronic starting or from the ignition switch in non electronic starting.

Examine your aftermarket remote system wiring schematic and descriptions. If the start signal from the remote module is a 12v signal, it must be able to supply several amps because the starter solenoid is powered by this 12v start signal. About 5 amps or less is needed to power the starter solenoid. Once the starter solenoid powers up, it does two things; pulls out the starter gear to engage the engine flywheel while closing a set of large contacts inside the solenoid housing to send battery power to the starter motor, turning on the starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:42 AM   #3
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackl123 View Post
Hi. Iím installing remote start in my 2007 aura xe. It was going great until I got to the starter wire. It says on the installation sheet for the auraís that the starter wire can be found under the hood by the fuse box or at the starter. Doesnít tell me any colors and I cannot find the right one. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be great.
I thought remote start was standard on Aura's?
Does your remote look like this (If you have it). If it does, pressing lock for a second, then holding the top button, for a few seconds, should start the car. (As long as the check engine light is not on)
What's the make and model of your remote start. Did it come with an immobilizer bypass module.
https://northcoastkeyless.com/wp-con...24-MAIN1-7.jpg

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:43 AM   #4
Tackl123

I was told that remote start is normally always put in from the factory in the aura's but there's only an unlock, lock, trunk and alarm buttons.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tackl123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
I was told that remote start is normally always put in from the factory in the aura's but there's only an unlock, lock, trunk and alarm buttons.
Might not have been include, I've been wrong before. My 2008 XE has it.
The factory remote start is just software installed in the Body Control Module.
I wonder if you have the original remote? Sadly with the Aura it's not easy to add remotes. The dealer has to program them.
Look in the glove box, there is an options tag in there...see if AP3 is listed.
That's the option code for...
LOCK CONTROL, ENTRY REMOTE, KEYLESS ENTRY, START
If you can post a clear pic of the tag, I'll try to decode the options list for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
Tackl123

My dad works at a dealership and he programmed the two remotes I have now. My car doesn't have the remote start included, sadly. Thanks for your help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #7
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
My dad works at a dealership and he programmed the two remotes I have now. My car doesn't have the remote start included, sadly. Thanks for your help
You should get your Dad to see if the factory remote software can be installed in your car.
Here is a schematic of the start circuit. Hope it helps.
https://i.imgur.com/uKsTM5x.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-02-2019, 04:29 PM   #8
Tackl123

Iím installing a ready remote start in it now. What wires are needed to just start the car? Do I need to hookup the lock and unlock wires along with the alarm wires?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
Tackl123

The make and model of the remote start Iím installing is ready remote and the model number is 24219B. It came with a immobilizer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-02-2019, 06:43 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Almost every GM model has a combination factory alarm and immobilizer.The factory alarm system is basically the horns and flashing lights to get attention. GM has immobilizers under several names, Passlock and Passkey. Both systems disable at least one of three things that makes EFI systems run - injectors, fuel pump, ignition (spark). A factory theft deterrent system is more difficult for thieves to steal a vehicle when its part of electronics. In GMs case, the body control module has programming for either Passlock or Passkey and works with the ecm that runs the EFI system. When the Passlock sensors detect ignition lock cylinder rotation (Passlock) and a discrete signal from the ignition switch to the bcm, the bcm compares the two signals and sends either a go or no go signal to the ecm. The ecm receiving a go signal allows engine starting and running. A no go signal sent to the ecm tells the ecm to prevent EFI from operating. Passlock disables injector operation - without injectors operating, the engine will never run. The starter can try cranking the engine but disabled injectors prevents engine running. The same for Passkey security.

Both GM security systems will have an indicator on the speedometer or tachometer - a symbol of a car with a large padlock or 'SECURITY' flashing in yellow to alert the owner of a theft attempt. When security is armed, the security indicator blinks once every few seconds to serve as a warning that the vehicle has a theft deterrent system.

Do you see any security indicator when the ignition switch is OFF, car locked? Security is enabled when a remote is used to LOCK doors. GMs remote keyless operation does two things, LOCK doors and enable Passlock or Passkey, UNLOCK doors and disable Passlock or Passkey. Passlock uses a plain ignition key. Passkey uses a rfid chip embedded into the plastic key body. PKIII is stamped on the metal part of the key. The rfid chip is the same as ones inserted into pets for positive identification when a lost pet is found and a scanner is held near the insertion site. Whether pet or vehicle, the xmitter sends a low rf signal exciting the rfid chip. The rfid chip generates a discrete bar code signal and broadcast to the nearby xmitter/scanner for decoding. In vehicles the ignition key inserted into the ignition turns on the nearby xmitter/receiver and if the key xmits the correct code, the bcm sends a go signal to the ecm to allow engine startup. US passports also use this rfid chip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #11
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
The make and model of the remote start Iím installing is ready remote and the model number is 24219B. It came with a immobilizer.
I'm not familiar with Ready Remote and they don't seem to provide manuals online without product registration.
Have you been to the Ready Remote site and registered yours for the wiring diagram.
https://www.readyremote.com/Registra...g=Expired+Code
Commando Alarms has this wiring information...
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/wir...Aura/1838.html
Here is a discussion from 12volt.com about installing a remote start on a 2007 Saturn Aura that might help. They say with the immobilizer bypass the starter wire is not required.
According to the diagram I sent:
The wire direct from the starter relay to the starter is purple.
The wire from the ECM to the starter relay coil is purple.white.
Putting 12 volts on either of these will crank the engine
I don't think you need to hook up the locks or alarm unless the alarm affects the immobilizer.
Hope this helps you out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #12
Tackl123

I've come to the conclusion that the remote start kit I bought was really old and I'm best off buying something that's newer. Is there a good kit that would be easier to install? I don't want the lock and unlock from my remote start fob, all I want to be able to do is have a one button fob to start the vehicle. thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Personally, I have a DEI remote start system. It's a standard remote start with additional features for running other things if needed, like a turbo timer to allow additional engine idling time to let the turbo have circulating oil to remove heat from hot runs. It came with two remotes but the system was installed by those car stereo stores found everywhere. I didn't get the DEI remotes as the installer programmed the system to accept Saturn remotes to startup. I liked it because I loathe carrying a pair of remotes when one will do. I'll describe the DEI interface with Saturn's factory theft deterrent system because the aftermarket system must work with any factory security system sophisticated enough to disable injectors, spark, fuel pump or starter. There's more to remote starting than most can imagine.

Presuming most, if not all remote start systems (whether factory or aftermarket), one key to security is to disable remote start if a thief tries to drive away - by disabling the engine immediately when the brake pedal is pressed before shifting from park to drive or reverse. I'm presuming every vehicle requires pressing the brake pedal to unlock the shift lever before shifting can occur. Remote start monitors the brake pedal, ignition switch, shift lever position and other sensors before allowing remote starting. If any one of these sensors is detected out of position, remote start will not occur. When remote start does occur, if anyone doesn't insert the ignition key and turn on ignition, pressing the brake pedal automatically disables the engine and returns the vehicle to security with security flashing because the remote start system doesn't detect the ignition switch being turned on. While this may seem confusing, it's all part of security and safety against driving away without an ignition key. The sophistication of EFI systems, anti theft systems and remote starting requires advanced electronics to allow all these systems to work perfectly. This isn't wiring an alarm system into a car. Mine was a Xmas gift and came as a brand new kit. I was told not to try installing it as the installation was included and all I had to do was arrange a time for installation. I read the installation manual and realized this was way more than some simple wiring project. Unless you have advanced electronics and thoroughly familiar with EFI systems and factory security, anyone is capable of screwing up wiring. The major issue is knowing how factory security works, all the wiring involved and ensuring the aftermarket remote start kit is completely compatible with make and model. And it helps if there's online or phone support if problems pop up. Terms used are generic so interpreting installation instructions can also lead to confusion. I was glad I didn't have to install my remote start because of wiring and confusing terms from the installation manual not matching Saturn (or any other brand) terms as related to security. There are many capable of diy remote start installations so you should do as much preparation as possible if you're not knowledgeable in vehicle electronics and security systems.

Most early remote start systems require an additional module, described as a bypass module, custom designed for each brand of vehicle's security system. When remote starting, the factory security system is temporarily bypassed to allow engine starting. I have this bypass module to bypass Passlock. A few times when remote start failed to startup, in very cold weather, I wasn't aware of trying to manually startup when the remote switched back to factory security, Passlock disabling injectors. A mandatory 10 minute timeout with ignition on until Passlock was reset to allow starting. I went into the owner's manual and set the remote start timer from default to .75 or 1 second of cranking time so cold engine starts would work. Mine tries starting three times before giving up and reverting to factory security. When remote start fails to start the engine during its three attempts, I have to interrupt it by pressing the brake pedal - this breaks the remote start system program, forces it to return security back to Passlock before I insert and turn the ignition key to startup. If I'm not mistaken, all remote start systems are integrated in every vehicle with factory theft deterrent systems whether factory or aftermarket remote start.

If you search in the Vue forums, one member has a stable of three Vues and installed them all with a bulldog remote start system.

Last edited by fdryer; 10-07-2019 at 04:26 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2019, 09:22 AM   #14
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that the remote start kit I bought was really old and I'm best off buying something that's newer. Is there a good kit that would be easier to install? I don't want the lock and unlock from my remote start fob, all I want to be able to do is have a one button fob to start the vehicle. thanks.
Ask a dealer if they can add the factory remote start to the Body Control Module...I bet they can. No hacking up the wiring. Job done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #15
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

Another thought. Just in case, check the options tag in the glove box, look for AP3. If it's there, you likely only need a remote with the start button and have your Dad program to the car.
Might be worth throwing a few bucks at it, buy a remote or two and get your Dad to program them to the car. Maybe the software is in there, waiting for the right remote.
They are pretty cheap on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/ECCPP-Replace...565773&sr=8-44

REWARD EXCELLENCE!