SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 05:55 PM   #21
emptypockets
emptypockets is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
Default Re: Do It Yourself Headliner

Do they sell fabric that is as big or bigger than a headliner? I'm going with rough guesstimates here but a headliner is about 6x5 and normal fabric(like the fabric for making kids blankets or whatever that you can get at walmart) is about 4x(whatever you want it to be). Is there a place that sells ACTUAL headliner material? I was thinking of converting mine to red because I'm switching my car from tan to red and black. Looks good so far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emptypockets's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emptypockets reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2005, 06:06 PM   #22
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Just look up fabric stores in you area. You could even go to an upholstery shop as well and see if they will sell you some.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-02-2005, 08:30 PM   #23
allc0re
allc0re is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1994 SC2

I followed the instructions in this thread and redid my headliner. Everything was great until the first time I parked my car in the sun for over an hour. When I got back in it was all hanging down. During the second removal of the head liner I also damaged the fiber board a bit (it is fragile). I repaired it with duct tape. Not sure where I went wrong, but I decided to take a different route. I got two cans of fabric spray paint from the autoparts store. They say it works on cloth, leather, vinyl etc. I took off the fabric that was left, cleaned off the fiber board, and proceded to spray away. I used one can for each half of the board. I did about four or five coats in all. It looks great now and I never have to worry about it again. Plus, had I gone this route in the first place, it'd only cost the amount of two spray cans. Let me suggest this method to anyone who was skeptical or hesitant to redo the liner. I'll post pics if anyone is interested, let me know.

allc0re

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to allc0re's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help allc0re reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2005, 12:46 PM   #24
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

I was thinking of a different idea for those who don't want to use cloth.

First I am planning on coloring the foam liner black.
Then I'm going to put a light coat of fiberglass resin. Don't know exactly how much it costs, I know my friend coated his subwoofer box with it.
Then after it dries completely I will touch up "thin" areas.
When it's completely dry I'll carefully buff sand w/ 1000 grit sand paper.

Probably take longer to do but I hope it comes out nice. Might even do better w/ heat reduction. At least I wouldn't have to worry about sagging headliner. The one problem w/ this would be I'd probably have to do it in the car as it wouldn't be able to bend back in. Think it's an acceptable idea?

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2005, 08:39 AM   #25
allc0re

1996 SL2
1994 SC2

I don't know SPS, it would sure be a b**ch to do it while it's still in the car.

allc0re

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help allc0re reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #26
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

I think you can get it into the car without bending it if you remove the seats. The more you remove from the interior the better. Slide it in sideways through the rear door at an angle towards the opposite front door.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:10 AM   #27
allc0re

1996 SL2
1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn
I think you can get it into the car without bending it if you remove the seats. The more you remove from the interior the better. Slide it in sideways through the rear door at an angle towards the opposite front door.
Definitely! If I did it over again I would remove the seats first!

allc0re

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2005, 11:30 AM   #28
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

when I took it out I didn't have the front passenger seat in and I needed to bend it because of the door. It didn't look like it would fit out the back door. I guess if I took the door off it would be perfect.
I'll make this my next big project.

What would be the best thing to color the foam liner with?
Once I get it all done I might do some artistic painting and put a big red saturn emblem in front of the dome light.

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2005, 10:36 AM   #29
allc0re

1996 SL2
1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps SOHC
What would be the best thing to color the foam liner with?
Like I said previously, fabric paint works like a charm and I think it even looks better than the OEM liner.

allc0re

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2005, 09:52 PM   #30
micronrb
micronrb is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Thumbs Up Re: Do It Yourself Headliner

I just did mine with felt and 3M spray adhesive. It looks great now, we'll see how it holds up.

'96 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to micronrb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help micronrb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2005, 09:54 PM   #31
micronrb
micronrb is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

This was a "quick fix" for me, I want to switch to tan vinyl down the road.

By the way, I left the foam on the board, I just took off the old cloth.

Next the door panels and the visors.

'96 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to micronrb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help micronrb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2005, 12:21 AM   #32
retard7117
retard7117 is on a distinguished road

does anyone know where i could get a headliner for a 97 sl1? I was going to redu my whole interior black and red. Most of it was black, the roof was grey though. I took that out and threw it away at college, thinking i would just find a black one in a junk yard somewhere.... bad idea. I am not sure if they even made black. Now i am going to have to buy a headliner, and cover it with black. I can find them at junk yards, but they are asking $50!!!! They probably didnt even pay that much fpr the car anyways, WHat a rip off. I did my door panels with red vinyl, i am going to start a new thread about that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to retard7117's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help retard7117 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2005, 09:16 PM   #33
LeanderL
LeanderL is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Well - the headliner is out of my 93 SL. I was holding up the fabric with upholstery pins - the kind that you can twist in - not very attractive but it was a good temporary solution until I could make the time to do this project. After removing all the hardware, I was able to carefully ease it out through the trunk. Once I removed the pins the fabric lifted off easily. The foam was almost totally disintegrated - I carefully peeled it off and now I have a "clean" liner ready for my next surge of creativity. I want to cover it with something that I can clean easily - micronrb mentioned vinyl - I might give that a shot but I am sure it will take some time to make it fit over the curves in the liner.

LeanderL
93 SL
40 mpg hwy (thanks to the maintenance tips and instructions on this site!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LeanderL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LeanderL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2005, 09:22 AM   #34
smash_57
smash_57 is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

I have a '95 SW2. How would I go about getting the headliner board out of the car? Do you have to take off all the trim around it?

Thanks!
~Jennifer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smash_57's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smash_57 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:24 AM   #35
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash_57
I have a '95 SW2. How would I go about getting the headliner board out of the car? Do you have to take off all the trim around it?

Thanks!
~Jennifer
Only if you plan on putting it back. Otherwise you need to remove all the plastic trim, both dome lights, sun visors, and grab handles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2005, 10:46 AM   #36
paulygon
paulygon is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I would really like to know how to get the headliner out of the car in the first place, and more specifically, how to get the headliner out from underneath the door trim pieces.

Paul H
My car and I have started to look like each other

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulygon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulygon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-11-2005, 01:05 PM   #37
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Remove the door trim pieces.

-remove the side vents on the dash
-uinbolt the seat belt from the "B" pillar
-remove the trim from around the front door.
-remove the side pieces of the rear seat.
-remove fasteners holding the "C" pillar trim to the frame
-remove the coat hanger hooks
-remove the trim around the rear door
-remove dome lamp
-remove sun visors
-remove roof handles
-remove trim around sunroof controls if equipped
-push front seats all the way forward and recline them all the way back.
-remove headliner through rear door.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2005, 06:19 PM   #38
paulygon

1995 SL2

More detail on taking the trim pieces out would be helpful.

Paul H

Last edited by paulygon; 09-11-2005 at 06:31 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help paulygon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-11-2005, 10:10 PM   #39
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

From the bottom pull it back a bit untill you see the gold clips. Slide a screwdriver behind it and pop it out. If you just grap the trim pieces with your hands and pull, the tabs can break off in the frame.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2005, 08:39 PM   #40
paulygon

1995 SL2

I just finished replacing my headliner today, here's a tip:
To get the old glue off the headliner board, try a vacuum cleaner with a hose, and use the wirey attachment... after getting the bulk glue off, scrub the board with the vacuum hose attachment, the leftover glue will come off, and suck into the vacuum.

Here's another tip, if you have a sunroff, DON'T EVEN ATTEMPT to replace your headliner, it was hell getting the new fabric to mold around the button/maplight buldge.

Paul H

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread