SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 05:32 AM   #1
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Wrench S-Series Camcover Gasket Replacement

Saturn “S” series SOHC and DOHC Camcover replacement

Two types of camcovers are used on these cars, the silver ALUMINUM covers used on ALL SOHC engines and DOHC engines until 1995, and the BLACK composite (plastic) covers used on DOHC engines after 1995.

The aluminum covers require NO GASKET
The black composite covers require a gasket from Saturn or your local parts house

To change either type you will need:

Set of metric SOCKETS (6 point variety recommended) and for the SOHC a set of TORX bit drivers
1 can of “Brake Kleen”
1 Medium sized tube of RTV Form a gasket (and Gasket "kit" for 96’ and up composite covers)
Clean towels and perhaps a putty knife and scotch bright pad.

SOHC and DOHC to 1995 (Aluminum covers)
Proceed as follows:

On the SOHC, remove the two nuts holding the MAP sensor to the cover and slide the MAP sensor off toward the firewall (removing the air filter assembly first makes this WAY easier)
On the DOHC, unplug the electrical connector and vacuum lines from the EGR solenoid (you can leave the solenoid attached to the cover)
On BOTH engines, disconnect the PCV valve and breather hoses from the cover and set them aside.
On SOHC engines, remove the TWO TORX head bolts securing the cover.
On DOHC engines remove the bolts securing the cover to outside edges and center “well” of the cover and remove the plug wires from the spark plugs.
BOTH engines, remove the cover from the head. (If it sticks, wack it GENTLY with a wooden or rubber hammer or CAREFULLY pry up on one corner with a SMALL blade screw driver until the cover releases)

BOTH Engines, take the cover inside and WASH IT with dish soap and water until COMPLETELY oil and dirt free, use a scotch brite pad or putty knife to remove ALL TRACES of old RTV from the cover. Set aside to dry. Back out at the car, use a putty knife and scotch brite pad to scrub ALL TRACES of old RTV off the engine mating surface for the cover. Then spray the area with Brake Kleen to ENSURE IT IS COMPLETELY DEGREASED.

BOTH Engines, apply a gapless even 8mm (3/8 in) bead of RTV all around the outer perimeter of the COVER. On DOHC covers, do the same for the circles that meet the plug well holes. Set the cover aside.
BOTH Engines, Apply a thin bead of RTV to the ENGINE where the timing chain cover meets the head on the passenger side of the engine, there is a small “ridge” here on either side of the timing chain about ½ in or so long. It is this ridge you want to apply the RTV to.

BOTH Engines, CAREFULLY set the cover straight down onto the engine being CAREFUL not to smear the RTV.

On SOHC engines install the two TORX head bolts and snug them down. Torque spec is a very “loose” 10~12 foot pounds, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!

On DOHC Engines, reinstall the bolts and tighten gradually from the CENTER OUT to 8 ft pounds. This will seem very loose…DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN

On BOTH Engines…reinstall the hoses and electrical connectors you removed (now would be a good time to replace the PCV valve if you like)
On the SOHC, reinstall the MAP sensor and nuts.

1996 and UP DOHC with composite cover
Procedure is essentially the same EXCEPT, use the RTV VERY SPARINGLY on the cover to “glue” the gasket to the groove in the COVER. Like wise to “glue” the supplied “O” rings to the holes in the COVER for the plug wells. You STILL need to apply RTV to the “ridge” between the timing chain cover and engine mentioned above. The gasket set will also come with new “bolt isolators” for the bolts that go along the outer perimeter of the cover. These just pop in/out and require no additional sealer. While not “officially recommended” by the FSM, I always apply a THIN (finger smeared) layer of RTV to new gasket BOTH where it meets the cover AND where it will touch the engine when installed just to be sure of a perfect seal. I do the same thing with the supplied rubber “O” rings for the plug well holes.

TIPS:
CLEANLINESS MEANS SUCCESS! I cannot stress enough the importance of getting BOTH the engine and cover SQUEAKY CLEAN prior to reinstalling with the new gasket/RTV.

DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE BOLTS! You’ll strip out the bolt holes and be up the proverbial creek. If you don’t have a torque wrench, snug down the bolts GRADUALLY until they “feel” tight and NO MORE. DO NOT be tempted to wrench them down till they won’t turn anymore! You WILL break something.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2003, 02:54 PM   #2
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Do you let the RTV "skin" for 10 minutes before sticking it down?

Do you have a favorite "flavor" of RTV? I like the red hi-temp stuff; slow drying but reliable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2003, 09:29 PM   #3
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

YES, Let it "skin"
Ultra BLACK by Permatex.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2003, 08:22 PM   #4
92saturnsl2
Advanced Member
92saturnsl2 is on a distinguished road

Damn... Switched valve covers to a composite (plastic) today, and guess what? I can't get the damn spark plug wires on, nor can I bolt my EGR solenoid to the valve cover anymore.

Do 1996+ cam covers use a different spark plug wireset?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92saturnsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92saturnsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2003, 02:15 PM   #5
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

The composite cover does require a different style plug wire boot. So yes, you would need wires for a 96 or later.

2011 Audi TT (modified)
2007 Mercedes E550 (stock)
1999 Expedition (Stock)
2007 Ion Coupe (Daughters eventually)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Applefool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2004, 09:32 PM   #6
94sc293sl1
Advanced Member
94sc293sl1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Since the procedure is usually done in response to the cover leaking oil, do you recommend blowing compressed air in/around the plug holes (DOHC model) while the top is off to get rid of leaked oil?

Craig
Saturn owner no longer as of 12/21/05, sold my SC2.
www.insidetrackmagazine.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94sc293sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94sc293sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2004, 06:03 AM   #7
wolfman

Good question, but NO. Compressed air will just more the oil around for the most part. If desired (or needed) remove the spark plugs and allow the oil to run down into the cylinders where it will be harmlessly burned when the engine is started. Stuffing paper towels into a DOHC engines plug well holes will do an adequate job of removing any oil left coating the plug wells.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2004, 11:21 AM   #8
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

And, of course, as you all know, should there be excessive oil in any of the wells, a turkey baster used to remove the oil, can be very handy.

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2004, 04:53 PM   #9
Son93SL2
Advanced Member
Son93SL2 is on a distinguished road

Do you want pictures? I look a ton when I did mine... didn't know this thread existed...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Son93SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Son93SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-03-2004, 01:33 PM   #10
petdmc
petdmc is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally posted by Son93SL2
Do you want pictures? I look a ton when I did mine... didn't know this thread existed...
i would like it

thx

BTW would you really need a gasket "kit"? cause a called around asking about a valve cover gasket and they an't cheap, $34- $53 at the dealer, $52.50 at Canadian and $82! at NAPA (not sure if its the kit or not)

can i do away with just the valve cover gasket? i also asked about the bolts and they're $6-10 each! just the BOLTS.

'96 SL2
189 250 kms and leaking oil in #4 cyl. (the far left)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to petdmc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help petdmc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-03-2004, 02:31 PM   #11
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Default Re: "S" Series camcover gasket replacement

You just need a gasket and a RTV. You can re-use the bolts.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2004, 01:57 AM   #12
wolfman

I have seen just RTV used successfully (and unsuccessfully) on the black composite type covers. I would recommend using the gasket with RTV in the right spots as well as a THIN coating around the gasket surfaces as posted. YES you CAN generally reuse the bolts with no problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2004, 05:56 PM   #13
petdmc
petdmc is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfman
I have seen just RTV used successfully (and unsuccessfully) on the black composite type covers. I would recommend using the gasket with RTV in the right spots as well as a THIN coating around the gasket surfaces as posted. YES you CAN generally reuse the bolts with no problem.
great, now the only problem is that i don't have a torque wrench

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to petdmc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help petdmc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2004, 11:45 AM   #14
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Fm petdmc
But, keep in mind, the torque wrench must in in inches, not foot pounds
for the technical specifications are: 89 In-Lbs, which actually converts to 7.4 Ft-Lbs.

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2004, 04:41 PM   #15
Revwillie
Revwillie is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

on the 93 DOHC, the bolts are T40 torx, right?

93 SC2 140,000mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Revwillie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Revwillie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-14-2004, 10:48 PM   #16
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

ether T40 or T45, i'm not sure

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:26 PM   #17
Revwillie
Revwillie is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally posted by sierrap615
ether T40 or T45, i'm not sure
T-40. I did mine this week. no leaks so far.

93 SC2 140,000mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Revwillie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Revwillie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2004, 02:54 PM   #18
92saturnsl2
Advanced Member
92saturnsl2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by petdmc
Just gently snug them, you won't have any problems. Use a torque wrench only if you are super-anal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92saturnsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92saturnsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2004, 11:11 PM   #19
freakerz
Advanced Member
freakerz is on a distinguished road

Personally, I have a 93 SL1 with no gasket for the cover, it uses a thin rubber for spill-proofing.. I've removed it several times, no gasket..

Only gaskets I've seen so far are for the TB and the EGR Valve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to freakerz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help freakerz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-13-2004, 06:23 PM   #20
dw97sc1
dw97sc1 is on a distinguished road

Happy Just changed Cam Cover gasket

Just changed cam cover gasket 2 hours ago. So far no leaks, but should I keep an eye on it?

Thanks for the help?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dw97sc1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dw97sc1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread