SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 01:29 AM   #81
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: MMO Piston Soak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim T
Yep. I also ran a can of BG Quick Clean through before I changed the oil. (normal for me) I'm going to add the MMO/steam clean at every oil change now. Better to be safe then sorry I say.
is BG quick clean one of those wanna be engine flushes? if so, some types of "engine flushes in a can" can accuitly damage the internals of a engine. using a little bit of automatic transmission fluid will do the same thing but is safer and many times cheaper.

doing a MMO soak and steam clean every oil change is also overkill. for one, after the MMO soak the rings need a little time to reseat, soaking the ring every 3000 mile will make it very hard for the rings to seat. steam cleaning, well, you shouldn't build up that much carbon in 3000 miles. i personially steam clean maybe once a year at most. now if you want to do MMO soak and steam clean something like once a year, every 15K miles, every 30K miles, or every time you do a tune up, it would work a little better.

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2005, 08:00 AM   #82
Tim T
Tim T is on a distinguished road

After thinking about it. It does seem like a little over kill for a MMO/steam clean every 3K maybe 15-30K. But I'll keep an eye on it. IMHO all BG products work amazingly well. Especialy their 44K fuel additive. www.bgprod.com When I bought the car (used) the previous owner didn't take care of it. I had a noise in the top end. I used the quick clean and changed the oil, noise got quieter 3K later did it again still even quieter.It went away completly after about 4 oil changes/flushes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tim T's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tim T reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2005, 12:53 PM   #83
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Just did a piston soak, using throttle body cleaner, and now have a hard start problem. I don't recall reading this problem anywhere in the piston soak threads, so figured I'd mention it:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62151

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2005, 02:26 AM   #84
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

The Marvel Mystery Oil bottle that I saw indicates that it contains a carcinogen, a cancer-causing chemical. Can Techron be substituted for Marvel Mystery Oil in this soaking procedure?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2005, 05:10 PM   #85
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

i do not know the make up of techron, but if you knew everything in your car that has given someone cancer at sometime, you would become amish. the key is to be careful and not drink it :P try looking for seafoam or GM top engine cleaner.

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2005, 08:45 AM   #86
98greenSC2
Advanced Member
98greenSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

I did it last night and it was... anti-climatic. Three of the four cylinders didn't have any standind MMO but the piston tops in the other three looked moist. It turned over on the first try and there was no smoke. Should I try it again? I also found out I have a leaking cam cover gasket. Oh well.

BTW, use a funnel. I made a mess all over the valve cover.

http://members.cardomain.com/stdmtn11
15.59 @ 87.1 quarter mile
1998 Saturn SC2 *sold* What have I done!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98greenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98greenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2005, 11:02 PM   #87
alcimedes
alcimedes is on a distinguished road

So is there a final say as to whether or not this works? I just picked up a used SW1 after selling a old SC1, both of which have the exact same problem with burning oil. As this is going to be my winter beater, I suppose I shouldn't care too much, but it's a bad habit of mine to make my cars run as well as I can.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alcimedes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alcimedes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #88
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Happy Re: MMO Piston Soak

If the MMO piston soak procedure is carried out following Wolfman's directions then it may or may not help with the infamous oil consumption issue, but it certainly will not make anything worse. Most people notice an improvement after doing this; however it would be rare for this to completely make the oil consumption issue go away altogether.

I can't remember if this has been mentioned beforehand in this thread. Both are discussed fairly often at SaturnFans and relate to the oil consumption issue:
  • A GM cleaner for the "top end" area of the inside of the engine.
  • A compression test for each of the cylinders and interpretions of their results.

Current
∙ 2004 VUE 124K
∙ 2007 ION3 112K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K
∙ 2002 SL1 129K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2005, 06:51 PM   #89
alcimedes

Well, started the MMO soak tonight, won't need the car for at least a day or so. I'll post the results on oil consumption once I have a few tanks under my belt. Right now it's about 1qt every 350 miles or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alcimedes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2005, 09:06 AM   #90
kuznetzvov
kuznetzvov is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Hey, I just did the MMO soak on my 98 sc2. I added about 3 ounces to each cylinder, 4 to a full tank of gas, and 8 to the crankcase. I let it rest overnight for about 9-10 hours. After turning the engine, replacing the plugs, and putting back the fuelpump, injection, and pcm a/b fuses, I didn't notice a large, white cloud of smoke. However, the engine now idles much quieter, about 200 rpm's lower, and is more smooth. I seem to get more power with less gas, but I won't know about oil consumption for a week or two. It was full before the treatment and is currently. I plan to change it in a few days, no more than a week.
After that, I'm looking at changing my pcv and possibly the valve cover gasket. There's quite a bit of oil and dirt around the edge of the gasket and pcv valve, so I think that it would be a good idea to replace it within a few weeks. I have the hose going from the center-right of the black dohc cover which was leaking and contained oil that I patched using electrical tape in superglue. Whenever I get aruond to it, I'll probably grab a new oem hose. Cheers.
~Van

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kuznetzvov's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kuznetzvov reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2005, 09:08 AM   #91
kuznetzvov
kuznetzvov is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Ah ya, I forgot to mention that upon adding the MMO, I noticed that there was a very thick black residue on top of the metal down in the spark plug holes. This residue is also inside my crankcase and on the oil fill cap. Methinks it needs a further cleaning
~Van

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kuznetzvov's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kuznetzvov reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2005, 10:52 AM   #92
alcimedes

Well, since doing the MMO soak I'm at zero measurable oil consumption. I know the oil pan leaks, so there's a few drops here and there, but I'm no longer burning massive amounts of oil. I also replaced the pcv valve which was pretty beat up looking. So far so good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread