SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 01:46 AM   #61
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

i myself wait a hour and then add more to each cylinder, then what ever is left i split inbetween the crankcase and gas tank

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2004, 06:37 PM   #62
zippy_LiL_sL1
zippy_LiL_sL1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by ttreibel
Berrymans B-12 is worth a try for the soak But I chickened out and only left it in 6 hours it's way stronger than MMO and the cars harder to start after the soak than the MMO.

I did both and oil consumption seems way down. I was getting about a quart a tank and the car only has 92 K but the previous ownwer was clueless about main. I am crossing my fingers and running mobil 1 0w-40w now

Here is a video of starting after the MMO treatment it's 11+ MB dial-up users

http://homepage.mac.com/ttreibel/iMovieTheater16.html
Hey that blue car sitting there is the exact same car I have.. but mine is modded out a bit. lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zippy_LiL_sL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zippy_LiL_sL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2004, 10:25 AM   #63
shortlid
shortlid is on a distinguished road

Question Re: MMO Piston soak for six days

I added 4 ounces of MMO to each piston on my girls '97 SC1 with 137k on the clock before we left for Thanksgiving. It has not been started for six days now and it did consume some oil before we left. should it be alright to just go ahead and try and start the engine or should I try and force the excess MMO IF THERE IS ANY with the spark plugs out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shortlid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shortlid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2004, 02:22 PM   #64
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: MMO Piston soak for six days

Four ounces is a lot, even if some cylinders "drank" some. You've got the plugs out. It only takes a minute; throw a rag over the holes (granted, not as easy on an SOHC), pull the PCM B fuse and crank the starter to spit out the remainder. Better than throwing it all over the plugs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2004, 02:37 PM   #65
shortlid

Attention Re: MMO Piston soak

well since I was leaving it for six days I put the plugs back in the car . Do you think a SOHC engine that consumes about a qt. every 500 miles would allow four ounces of MMO by in six days of siting? I am not concered about the plugs so much they are brand new and one heat range higher cause of teh oil consuption. I just don't want to compress fluids in the engine!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help shortlid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-30-2004, 12:20 AM   #66
sierrap615
Master Member

Default Re: MMO Piston soak

even if the cylinders looked dry i would still keep the plugs out, the point of the MMO soak is to prevent a engine overhaul not cause one.

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2004, 10:58 PM   #67
emptypockets
emptypockets is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

Quote:
...the point of the MMO soak is to prevent a engine overhaul not cause one.
haha. That made my day. Yeah, try not to compress those fluids. Sure "hydrolock" sounds like a really cool word, but it's not. Do the old rag in the holes trick. With mine, I pulled the fuel injection and fuel pump fuses. I didn't have any plugs in the holes. I didn't have anything covering them either. I cranked it over by turning the key and man did it sound cool. It sounded better than a turbo but then I looked up and saw liquid running down the side of our garage. I was outside in the driveway and about a quart of MMO nailed the garage about 6 inches below the roof and splashed back everywhere. It started running down and started dripping on my car and all over the driveway... Lesson learned...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emptypockets's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emptypockets reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2004, 09:38 AM   #68
shortlid

Well I took my chances, casue I had to use the car. And it started and ran with no problem blew smoke for the first 3 miles though. I don't know if it effected oil consumption yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2004, 09:17 PM   #69
V_Roze
V_Roze is on a distinguished road

I called Saturn before finding this site and they had another suggestion to help with the oil consumption problem. I tried it and it worked great. I also improvised a bit with some tips from the MMO cure. The dealer suggested letting them clean the engine with Mac's. They would do it for $90. I found the Mac's engine cleaner at NAPA and followed the directions on the bottle.

You run this stuff in your oil for a few minutes (read the instructions on the bottle), change your oil and filter, and it cleans the engine.

I added a couple of extra steps. I added about half a quart of MMO to the fresh oil I put in after the Mac's treatment. I also added a couple of ounces to the fuel tank. There was the signature white smoke as this stuff went to work. I changed the oil and filter again after 100mi.

It has been two months and I have not lost any oil! I was losing a quart every three months before.

I didn't pull any plugs or open anything up. It did cost me an extra oil change, though.

//Garage Mech//V_Roze

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to V_Roze's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help V_Roze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2005, 06:04 AM   #70
sc2dave
sc2dave is on a distinguished road

Default Re: MMO Piston Soak

what results would you have,if you used seafoam instead of mmo for the soak?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2005, 10:34 PM   #71
sierrap615
Master Member

not much difference, simular products, different brands, but most people perfer MMO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2005, 09:19 PM   #72
emptypockets
emptypockets is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

I mixed seafoam and MMO when I did it. I had about a 50/50 mix. I think it helped my oil consumption a little but not enough to consider "worth the effort". Once the summer rolls around I'm gonna try some of the Top Engine Cleaner or the Mac's. Maybe I'll do another Seafoam and/or MMO soak but for a longer period.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emptypockets's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emptypockets reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2005, 10:23 PM   #73
98greenSC2
Advanced Member
98greenSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

I'm due for an oil change soon and I was thinking about trying this. I do 5000 mile intervals with Mobil 1 synthetic and I use a quart about every 2000 miles or so. I assume that's normal but the MMO soak has never been done on this car. Will it help loosen and remove any carbon buildup on the piston tops? Maybe I should do a compression test to see. Anyway, I add 4oz to every tank and fuel economy seems to have improved MAYBE 1 mpg in the city. I also top off the oil with it about 500 miles before an oil change, just to make it REALLY black.

http://members.cardomain.com/stdmtn11
15.59 @ 87.1 quarter mile
1998 Saturn SC2 *sold* What have I done!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98greenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98greenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2005, 06:56 AM   #74
ralheid
ralheid is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

In my youth I used to work at a used car lot getting old cars to run. A (rusted) frozen engine was not uncommon. We would pull the spark plugs and fill the cylinder with kerosene, then let it sit until it drained down. If we could not turn engine with a wrench on the crank bolt we'd fill it again. Once the engine was free, we would then add Marvel and wait overnight. After Marvel drained down , we'd drain oil. We'd add 5w oil (We would never crank engine until this new oil was added) and run engine without putting a lot of load on it. You could drive it around for short periods until engine stopped smoking. Then drain and put 30W in it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ralheid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ralheid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-29-2005, 01:49 AM   #75
SimPlyxTriPPiN
SimPlyxTriPPiN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1
1997 SL2

my car took 15 mins of idle and about 5 miles for my car to stop smoking. the smoke was really bad when i first start it. it was really smogged in my garage. made it kinda hard to see. that when the garage wat wide open and the exhaust was pointing outward. i had to use a couple of fans to ease it up. i faced one of the fan on the engine bay cause i didn't want the engine to suk in used air.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SimPlyxTriPPiN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SimPlyxTriPPiN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2005, 01:37 PM   #76
Tim T
Tim T is on a distinguished road

I just did the MMO soak. I split a 16oz bottle between the cyclinders. Let it sit overnight (about 11 hours) When I looked down the plug holes with my flashlight I couldn't see any MMO. Also I put a towel over the plug holes and cranked the motor. Nothing poped out. When I fired it up, very little smoke came out maybe 15 seconds worth. Should I be worried about this? Motor runs better now anyways.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tim T's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tim T reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2005, 07:39 PM   #77
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Wow, that's a LOT to pour into the chambers. A capful in each is plenty.

Change your oil ASAP, as you now have that entire 16oz bottle in your crankcase.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:06 PM   #78
Tim T

I did the MMO soak as part of my regular tune up oil change routine. I also did the water/steam clean the pistons/combustion chamber routine as discribed else were in this fourum (that worked well)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tim T reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2005, 07:20 PM   #79
madpogue

1996 SW2

Meaning, you did the soak before changing the oil, right? And your better running motor is prob. attributable to the steam-clean. Nice to get that boost, eh?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2005, 09:28 PM   #80
Tim T

Yep. I also ran a can of BG Quick Clean through before I changed the oil. (normal for me) I'm going to add the MMO/steam clean at every oil change now. Better to be safe then sorry I say.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread