SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
lowfunk99
lowfunk99 is on a distinguished road

Default 1995 SL1 sohc No Spark

Hello,

I have a line on a saturn sl1 sohc. It turns over but has no spark. It was running fine for the people before it stopped running. It only has about 75k on it.

I checked the codes and only got a 12 code.

Is there anything common on these?

I have heard they are chronic problems with the timing chains.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lowfunk99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lowfunk99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lowfunk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 1995 SL1 sohc No Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfunk99 View Post
...It turns over but has no spark....
No chronic problems other than the infamous coolant sensor. Read the threads about timing chains and decide for yourself.

Check for spark when someone turns the engine over for you - a lack of spark usually means the crank position sensor (CPS) has failed. Its located above and behind the starter, mounted with one 10mm bolt. Be sure the replacement is seated all the way into its hole before tightening the bolt. The other less failure prone part would be the ignition module. Buy the cps from any auto store but the ignition module and coils (only if needed) from the junk yard as they're cheaper and work just as well as new expensive replacements.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
lowfunk99
lowfunk99 is on a distinguished road

The oil light had come on and oil was added. It was running great after this.

Is there a way to check the CPS while its still in the car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lowfunk99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lowfunk99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lowfunk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

In the first place the oil light is for low oil pressure, not oil level. Oil level is always checked with the oil dipstick.

To check the cps on the car is only to measure the resistance as no voltage is supplied to it to make it operate. It generates its own signals as designed as a proximity switch; each metal notch is detected inside the engine's crankshaft that the cps detects and automatically generates a precise signal to be used to operate the PCM; the PCM absolutely needs cps signals in order to turn on the fuel pump, initiate the ignition system for generating spark, and pulse the fuel injectors. The engine must rotate before the cps will outout any signals. Only a test for resistance can be made; 700-1500ohms. No cps signals = a dead engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
The other less failure prone part would be the ignition module.
great info, fdryer. can you tell me where the ignition modue is located? I'm trying to help someone w/ a similar prblem.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

On the S-series cars, the ignition module is where the ignition coils plugs into, making it hidden from view unless you remove a coil or two to see the module. For a better picture of it go to rockauto.com and look at the pictures. I like rockauto because they let you see what you're buying.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
On the S-series cars, the ignition module is where the ignition coils plugs into, making it hidden from view unless you remove a coil or two to see the module. For a better picture of it go to rockauto.com and look at the pictures. I like rockauto because they let you see what you're buying.
thx. I've been trying to diagnose my nephews car w/o seeing it. I hopefully will get a crack at it this week.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote