SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
jsgst8
jsgst8 is on a distinguished road

Default starting/stalling

i had posted a question in another thread of someone that was having a similar problem but did not get any responses so i started a new thread.

anyway, to sum up the problems i am having are as follows on a 2001 SL1: first problem was the car stalled while running when i went inside to grab something from house. Started right back up after i came out. ran fine for a few weeks then it would not start 1 day after work. it cranked over perfectly fine just would not start. after about 15 minutes it started fine and ran great for about a week when the same problem happened: went to start it and it just cranked, sat for awhile then started and ran fine. this has happened a few times on and off

i took it to someone i know that works at a dealer and it was NOT showing any codes. i let him boorow it for a few days to see if it did anything for him and after a few days it stalled on him while driving home from work. he checked for spark and it did NOT have spark nor were the fuel injectors showing that they were working. he waited about 10 minutes and it started right up. yesterday it started to stall again but did not but the dash lights flashed on and off a few times and the RPM gauge was going up and down irradically. i drove it this morning and it was fine. he is not 100% sure of the problem and is researching it as he does not work for a saturn dealer so i am trying to find some info myself

i did research on here and found about the crankshaft position sensor but my question is would the CPS have the symptoms that i have explained or would it lead to something else? i have read that the CPS would cause starting/staling issues but would it affect all the dash lights coming on and the RPM gauge acting irradically?

any ideas on what my problem could be would be greatly appreciated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jsgst8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jsgst8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jsgst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: starting/stalling

Which particular dash lights flashed? Yes, a bad CPS will cause the tachometer to drop, because the tach is fed by ignition pulses. And generally, as a secondary effect, anytime the engine is struggling to keep from stalling, some of the dash lights will come on. Think about it -- when the engine is only doing a few hundred RPM, the alternator and oil pump are barely turning, and so charging voltage and oil pressure will drop, possibly enough to turn on the charging system and oil pressure warning lights. IOW, if the flashing lights are the same ones that come on when the key is in RUN, but the engine is not running, that's just a normal consequence of a near-stall for any reason.

Yeah, things are pointing toward it being the CPS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
huntn machine
huntn machine is on a distinguished road

Is the temperature guage doing anything strange?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to huntn machine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help huntn machine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
huntn machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
jsgst8

yes it was all the dash lights that normally would come on when starting. that happened when it was sputtering and almost stalling but didnt. and as i said the RPM's just went up and down very very quickly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jsgst8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'd definitely go with madpogue's suggestion; the cps is beginning to fail and should be replaced asap unless you wish to be stranded somewhere without tools in the rain/snow attempting a re-start at the most inopportune time. Located above and behind the starter with one 10mm bolt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
jsgst8

thanks for the quick replies..

the temp gauge seems to be fine, never goes up past halfway or so

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Do the CPS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote