SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
GeeWiggles
GeeWiggles is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Engine lean bank 1 o2 sensor code

Just checking, but an engine too lean code, loss of power around 3-4k rpm and carbon build up on the plugs would denote faulty code from the upstream o2 sensor, correct? If it were actually running lean, there wouldn't be carbon build up on the plugs after such a short while. Just want to make sure before I buy an o2 sensor if it could be something else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GeeWiggles's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GeeWiggles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GeeWiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Engine lean bank 1 o2 sensor code

Check your fuel pressure and when was the fuel filter changed last? Use a WIX filter.

Idle pressure 31-36psi
Key on engine off 38-44psi
Idle pressure with vacuum line to regulator connected and plugged 38-44psi

An exhaust leak anywhere between the engine and the CAT inlet will indicate a lean condition and run rich. A seriously restricted CAT will cause a loss of power at higher RPM but usually shows up as running rich. Running excessively rich will result in a loss of power as well.

Look at the rear O2 sensor and see if it is indicating lean as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
GeeWiggles

1997 SL2

Rear o2 isn't throwing any. Do upstreams usually throw incorrect codes when they fail or is it usually a circuit failure code? The filter is "suppose" to be recent but I don't really trust it after the work I've had to do. Exhaust does smell a little foul but not really sulfer like could just be the rich condition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help GeeWiggles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You have to actually look at the rear O2 signal and see if it is lean. The O2 sensor is a primary sensor and if it actually fails it will set a code. The lean code may be caused by several things but O2 sensor failure is not one of them. Most likely the sensor is fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You can not diagnose mixture strength by smell. If in doubt replace filter and pressurize exhaust and look for leaks carefully as a minute leak will cause this. Pressurize with a low pressure blower to 1-2 " H2O pressure only. Then go over every inch of the head pipe and manifold flanges. Soap/water solution works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

What's the actual code?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
GeeWiggles

1997 SL2

Po171 system too lean (bank 1)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is what I thought it was.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
GeeWiggles

1997 SL2

So I checked fuel filter and it indeed appeared to be new. As I don't have immediate access to a pressure gauge I decided to take everything apart again and inspect/clean. Is it possible for a miss-gapped spark plug to cause a lean condition? I noticed the #2 cylinder plug's gap looked a little narrow and I checked it and it was undergapped, I must have missed it when I was putting them in :/ Anyway after cleaning erg/map/everything I could and all their connectors the car runs smooth now. It was only a short test drive, but before it almost immediately started hesitating, now no hesitation at all and much less fuel smell from the exhaust.

I will be checking fuel pressure, probably this weekend, regardless. This could also be signs of a pressure regulator or fuel pump and I definitely don't want to get stranded somewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The regulator is a possible issue as well aged ones may not consistent in pressure. Failing fuel pump will have inconstant output before completely failing.

Closed up plug gap will potentially cause problems.

What brand of plugs are you using?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
GeeWiggles

1997 SL2

I'm just using the autolite copper cores. None of the parts stores around here in rural west tn had any of the NGK coppers in stock, autolite were the only alternative as I needed them same day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is fine, just wondering about the closed up gap. Fuel pressure is still of interest, as well as an exhaust leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
GeeWiggles

1997 SL2

I thought I'd checked the gaps on all of them, but I must have let one slip by me. usually they're spot on, this one was not lol.

I'm about to take a moderate trip so we'll see how it reacts and I'll report back here once I get to where I'm going. Exhaust leak is a possibility too, the flex pipe area looks like it's seen better days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Pull the plugs and if they look like you are running rich then your problem is an exhaust leak as the leak causes the O2 sensor to think you are way lean and it dumps in gas like mad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #15
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Don't forget about the ever so popular ect/connector issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That could very well be part of the problem also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #17
GeeWiggles

1997 SL2

I replaced the ects about two weeks ago and checked the connector, also replaced the iat and thermostat, and three days later the water pump lol.

Well on the way up to where I was going the car ran like a champ til I got about half way, then the ses came on so I raged and pulled into the nearest autozone for a code scan. This time it was circuit faults on BOTH O2 sensors, which I found very peculiar that they'd both fail at the same time so I started going back over what I had done the other day and noticed that I had put the battery ground at the transmission back on the wrong post, the rear one under the EGR and not the front one behind the coil. In my efforts to fix my problem I tore about most of the intake and emissions system and cleaned it all, and I noticed my map sensor and it's access hole were full of carbon/sludge. Anyway I figured I take off the grounds and clean any corrosion I found and I guess when I put them back on, being in the usual hurry I am, I put the battery ground on the wrong one.

Weather or not this had any bearing on the sensors I dunno, but I drove it 100+ miles home tonight and the ses never came on and it was smooth as butter the whole way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There are 2 ground wires that have to connect there and the actual sensor grounds and PCM sensing circuit grounds are the 4 wires bolted to the back of the block over the top of the starter. They must be clean and tight as well. You can reach them from above as they are just on the back side under #4 intake runner.

Replaced sensors and cleaned connectors helps but there is a possibility of a poor connection on either sensor. The actual performance should be checked with a scanner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!