SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2016, 08:05 PM   #1
Midlander
Midlander has a spectacular aura aboutMidlander has a spectacular aura aboutMidlander has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Stupid is as stupid does

I tow my 2005 Saturn Ion 5-speed manual four down behind my motor home. Upon returning to my home base yesterday I realized that for the 100 mile trip I had left the Ion's parking brake on. New shoes and new drums are a given but I haven't had the nerve to jack it up yet to see if the bearings are wiped. If they're tight and don't make noise should I change them out anyway? I value opinions here and this time will honorably accept verbal lashings or other abuse for pulling such a bonehead stunt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midlander's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midlander reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midlander is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2016, 12:16 AM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Stupid is as stupid does

Wow, just, wow. There are all kinds of things it could have damaged. Could be the tires, could be the bushes, could be the bearings. You're going to have to drove it and see how bad it really is. When in doubt, replace, but this negs the question, how hard was the brake on and how hot did the hubs get? I hope you checked that?

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
Midlander
Midlander has a spectacular aura aboutMidlander has a spectacular aura aboutMidlander has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe

To tell you the truth, when I got in the Ion, realized how I had screwed myself, I immediately wondered why the whole thing didn't catch on fire. There was no grating sound (or any sound) when I pulled it into the garage. The wheel was, indeed, hot. If any halfway good news came out of this it was the fact that I didn't do a full pull on the brake handle. I pulled it just enough to keep the Ion from rolling on the slight slope while I locked in the hitch. I've calmed down enough now to jack it up this morning and see what the toll is. Thanks for the feedback. I sincerely appreciate a master taking time to read and respond.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Midlander reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlander View Post
I value opinions here and this time will honorably accept verbal lashings or other abuse for pulling such a bonehead stunt.
OK, now everyone point and laugh at Midlander...

Actually, it sounds like you got off pretty easy. Hope there's no significant damage. I see a lot of Saturns towed behind motor homes, and I'm sure there's a good reason for that.

Also, it's interesting to see what people are choosing lately now that the last Saturns are aging.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #5
Midlander

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Hey, I asked for the pointing and snickers. I deserve every arrow for pulling such a dumb stunt. You say lucky and the actual outcome is a miracle. There was no damage whatsoever on either wheel. The drums didn't have a ridge and the shoes only wore to about half-life. I re-adjusted both brakes to take up the slack and my braking is back to 100%. Bet you can't guess who will now use a printed checklist for every trip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #6
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L

Maybe a yellow sticky note on the steering wheel or rear view mirror?

Glad to hear it worked out.

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles Recently junked out - (threw a rod)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoosierrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:02 PM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Or perhaps a big red "remove before flight" tag on the handle.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:55 AM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Midlander, according to rules and regulations, you're disqualified from entry into the rarified group of "boneheads". I will not discuss my qualifications (unless asked). There is no such thing as a half hearted attempt, which appears to be the case here as you did not make an honest effort to completely pull up on the parking brake lever. As I recall it, rules stipulate qualifying with complete 100% distraction without any forethought, planning, discussion, practice, research, suggestions, clueless bordering on ignorance and any other dishonest methods not listed here or anywhere. Rules are rules and disobeying any portion of unposted regulations is ground for automatic disqualification. Unfortunately, you do not meet qualifications. Any attempt to try is an automatic fail. True boneheads meet qualifications without trying.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote