SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 01-10-2021, 08:00 PM   #2101
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2
Default Re: Saturn Craigslist Deal of the Day!

Well I am thinking maybe the time has come to give up my Saturn.

I need more space in my garage, my other car needs upgrading, time for a change.

I have a 1996 SL2, orig owner.

I used to be very active here maybe 10 years ago when this car started to burn oil. With the help of OldNuc and others here, I went through an extensive engine rebuild. There is a thread here of the process:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170045

There are other threads for other things as well if you do a search of the ones I have started.

The car has been garaged its whole life here, Bay Area/California. Zero Rust. I take care of my things.

It is probably time for the ECTS to be replaced as the MPGs have dropped. It
is hard to say because I am usually transporting my bicycle using the trailer hitch that acts like a parachute on my yearly-only trips from the SF bay area to the LA area.

The car has had only 10-30 oil in it since the rebuild, Synthetic of course.
New alternator has maybe 2k miles on it.

The headliner is in good condition. The Paint is acceptable and will shine, though, all the years of highway driving the front hood has its share of rock dings. There are some light paint scratches around the trunk from my previous bike carrier.

Zero dents anywhere. Too bad Auto manufactures would not adopt Saturns flexible body panel strategy. Would have cut into the income of the body shops I guess.

The Costco Tires are pretty new.

The oil burn is maybe 1qt every 2k miles. I was always curious why the oil burn did not go away after I did the rebuild.

The car easily passed smog last year and recently was just re-registered.

The 5sp clutch I call workable... It seems when I get on a steep hill I have to be careful, it is starting to slip so I think some adjustments are probably in order. When I rebuilt the engine, the flywheel was ground to the most updated bulletin spec.

The car idles great because the PSI was equal across all Cylinders after the rebuild. At 70-90 the car really purrs along the highway seemingly effortlessly.

The cooling system works great even on hot days sitting at stoplights. Heater is great. Air conditioning works and is cold but not as cold as when the car was new.

The interior is in really good condition. The front dash looks like new, the carpet is in nice condition with good floor mats. The rear window speaker area is where my cat decided to sharpen his claws one time but it does not look bad.

I will be including everything in my Garage related to the car. Un-used original stock parts I never installed, or used. New Brake pads in box (I bought two sets one time), unused NOS stock Coil packs I never put in, non-rebuilt original fuel injectors, Unused spark plugs bought in bulk, and maybe other things which don't come to mind at the moment.

The State of California keeps sending me letters that they want this old polluting car off the road and will pay me $1500 for it. Right now I am thinking of listing it for $2k unless I know of a poster here I recognize who might want it.

I will post photos when I get the car out of the garage with a light wash.
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2021, 12:49 AM   #2102
A2Saturn
A2Saturn is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

https://stockton.craigslist.org/pts/...261124219.html

1993 saturn 5 speed original owner 120k MINT Cond - $1,100
condition: excellent
make / manufacturer: Saturn
1 owner 1993 saturn 5 speed . Owned by 80 year old lady who kept it garaged and rarely even drove it. Great gas mileage and reliable.
120 k miles
5 speed tranny
Clean title
MINT interior no stains or tears at all
All original
A2Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:50 AM   #2103
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

A good buy there.....

Too far for me. I drove from here to Marin County once.

A looonnng 3 day drive - and that was a bigger car....

I can't imagine doing it now in an SL1...
Currently owned
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
98 SL2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2 auto
02 SL2 5 sp
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:03 PM   #2104
Zeebins
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Looks like the odometer even still works, or the old lady just never liked to reset her trip miles.
97 SL2, auto, 122K miles
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:21 PM   #2105
A2Saturn

1994 SL1

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/n...263663047.html

127k low miles
Ac and heat work great
New tires all around clean body and good paint for the age of car.
Aftermarket stereo
5 speed with good clutch
31 mpg average
Cel comes on randomly. Had the code checked it’s for egr valve. $40 part. Haven’t fixed it because it doesn’t effect the way it’s driving.
Good car. Wouldn’t hesitate to drive it to Portland or Utah tonight.
2300 OBO no low ball offers. Clean reliable car. Clean Title in hand.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:24 PM   #2106
A2Saturn

1994 SL1

https://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/d/b...259914619.html

Check out this economical little car! It has the five speed manual transmission for the best mileage and to keep the millennials from driving it! The front windshield is in excellent condition. The paint is in great shape for its age. No dings are visible on this vehicle. The tires are slightly worn with about 90% of tread life left. The interior was well maintained and is extra clean. This vehicle has no previous collision damage. The brakes are in great condition. The battery is in excellent condition. The car was previously owned by a non smoker. You can see it at AutoTrust, 3001 Chinden Blvd. in beautiful Garden City. Across from the Riverside Hotel and a block from the connector. 947-1343 or 861-3409, Rick. autotrustboise.com Price does not include applicable State and Local fees and $89.22 dealer doc fee. (Which is sales tax and and the title fee of $14)
Old 01-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #2107
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

None of the usual "runs great,cold a/c"
What mileage is about time for a rebuild?
This one has 219K

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Saturn View Post
https://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/d/b...259914619.html

Check out this economical little car! It has the five speed manual transmission for the best mileage and to keep the millennials from driving it! The front windshield is in excellent condition. The paint is in great shape for its age. No dings are visible on this vehicle. The tires are slightly worn with about 90% of tread life left. The interior was well maintained and is extra clean. This vehicle has no previous collision damage. The brakes are in great condition. The battery is in excellent condition. The car was previously owned by a non smoker. You can see it at AutoTrust, 3001 Chinden Blvd. in beautiful Garden City. Across from the Riverside Hotel and a block from the connector. 947-1343 or 861-3409, Rick. autotrustboise.com Price does not include applicable State and Local fees and $89.22 dealer doc fee. (Which is sales tax and and the title fee of $14)
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #2108
ehunter

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

I guess I am kind of de-motivated to wash-up and post pics of the car.

I kind of expected one or two PMs from people saying they might be interested. I sure would hate to give a great running and maintained car to the state so that they could crush it for scrap when somebody with a little enthusiasm could easily keep this car on the road for another 100k miles.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #2109
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
I sure would hate to give a great running and maintained car to the state.
Why would you or anyone give a car to the state? Why would the state even accept a car from you or anyone else?
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 19X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:47 AM   #2110
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Not Craigslist but definitely a "deal of the day". Someone buy these so I don't stock pile. I bought one 2 years ago and figure I'm good for another 8 years or so.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GUGD6Y0...language=en_US

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bargain mount.JPG (60.3 KB, 100 views)
1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:44 PM   #2111
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
I kind of expected one or two PMs from people saying they might be interested. I sure would hate to give a great running and maintained car to the state so that they could crush it for scrap when somebody with a little enthusiasm could easily keep this car on the road for another 100k miles.
Timing. I was in CA about 4 months ago, planned on buying a car out there and driving it back. Could not find a decent S-series under $4k so spent $9k and got a nice 2017 Hyundai Elantra. Great little car, but if I could have found a nice S-series at $2k, would have probably gone that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454cid
Why would you or anyone give a car to the state? Why would the state even accept a car from you or anyone else?
They're still running a "cash for clunkers" type program. They'll give him $1500 for his car, no questions asked, to get a theoretically high-pollution car off the California streets
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:04 PM   #2112
ehunter

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Timing. I was in CA about 4 months ago, planned on buying a car out there and driving it back. Could not find a decent S-series under $4k so spent $9k and got a nice 2017 Hyundai Elantra. Great little car, but if I could have found a nice S-series at $2k, would have probably gone that way.
Thanks ALOC... I know you have been a dominate poster and positive contributor here forever. Too bad I did not start trying to market the car 4 months earlier. A person of your history here and I would have gone under
the state price just for sentimental reasons. The car does not deserve to be crushed up and the money is not really important to me.

I guess I will sit on things a little longer, bump up this offer every month or two.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:17 PM   #2113
ehunter

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
Not Craigslist but definitely a "deal of the day". Someone buy these so I don't stock pile. I bought one 2 years ago and figure I'm good for another 8 years or so.
Those mounts were some of the best improvements I ever applied to my car. The shaking of the motor dampened up quite a bit and then after I rebuilt the motor, which balanced the compression equally across each cylinder, the car idled with virtually no shake at all... as if it was new. Just be careful you don't strip any of the mount bolts or you will complicate the job immensely. I remember documenting this in a thread somewhere. Oldnuc coached me out of it.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:47 AM   #2114
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post

They're still running a "cash for clunkers" type program. They'll give him $1500 for his car, no questions asked, to get a theoretically high-pollution car off the California streets
Can we rent a flatbed and haul in a load of junkers from the rust belt to clear a profit?

Currently owned
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
98 SL2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2 auto
02 SL2 5 sp
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
Old 01-27-2021, 01:41 PM   #2115
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
Can we rent a flatbed and haul in a load of junkers from the rust belt to clear a profit?

That would be the easy path forward on my SC2 project. Trade it to ehunter and send the rust bucket to the scrapper.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:05 AM   #2116
Bob243
Bob243 is on a distinguished road

1991 SL1
1995 SL2

might be a nice SOHC with manual trans in eastern OH. $1350

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined
Bob243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:04 PM   #2117
onlinebiker

I would have posted it last night - but did not want to get beat to the punch.

Picked up a 2002 SL2 5 speed. ABS .Red. No factory roof leak. Clean inside and out. Missing rear bumper cover. Runs great - all works. Drove it home. Drives sweet. 200k miles

Colorado car. No undercarriage rust. Has factory exhaust, muffler and brake lines. Gas tank support straps original and still shiny.

$900.

Battery lite came on and off a few times. Seems rpm dependant.

Currently owned
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
98 SL2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2 auto
02 SL2 5 sp
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
Old 02-06-2021, 04:16 PM   #2118
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
I would have posted it last night - but did not want to get beat to the punch.
Excellent. How old are you? Can I get on the mailing list for the estate sale?
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:01 PM   #2119
onlinebiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Excellent. How old are you? Can I get on the mailing list for the estate sale?
I'm taking it with me.....

I bet the sale will be intetesting. With the Saturn collection, the tools - automotive and machining - including engine lathe, surface grinder, vertical mill - plus MIG, TIG and gas welders and supply - plus the guns and ammo -

It should be a "man sale" that draws a few customers.

Especially seeing we don't have kids.....

I'll make sure the SO puts it here on the board.....

Currently owned
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
98 SL2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2 auto
02 SL2 5 sp
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
Old 02-06-2021, 11:26 PM   #2120
Komrade
Komrade is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Saturn...8AAOSw3KtgHCdj

Anybody have 10k?
Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote