saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
00 SLow
00 SLow is on a distinguished road

2000 SL
2000 SL
Default How to bleed a sealed clutch hydraulic assembly

I just finished going through hell chasing clutch problems after blowing a hole in the side of my bellhousing. After seeing lots of useful info about clutch related issues in the forum, I thought posting the directions that came with my new hydro assembly would be a be a useful addition. It's clean, dry, and doesn't require disassembling the slave.

I found it easier to bleed with the whole thing installed, with the slave hanging off the trans.

--- Twist the slave cylinder off the transmission, and point it vertically, with the pushrod facing the ground. With the cap off the reservoir, SLOWLY depress pushrod into the cylinder about an inch while watching the reservoir for bubbles. Repeat process until air bubbles no longer appear, usually about 10 to 15 strokes. With the cap still off, slowly press the pushrod in far enough to reconnect the bands on the retaining strap, if not already broken. Reinstall slave and replace the cap. Using short quick strokes, press the clutch pedal 20 to 30 times or until pedal is firm. Under normal usage, small anounts of air remaining will purge itself from the system. ---
00 SLow is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default Re: How to bleed a sealed clutch hydraulic assembly

Yes, a tranny shop told me that. Even Porsches have this problem apparently.

You can also "wet" bleed it. There is a post here somewhere about it. Or just figure it out.
97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
fashions
fashions is on a distinguished road

Question Re: How to bleed a sealed clutch hydraulic assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 SLow View Post
I just finished going through hell chasing clutch problems after blowing a hole in the side of my bellhousing. After seeing lots of useful info about clutch related issues in the forum, I thought posting the directions that came with my new hydro assembly would be a be a useful addition. It's clean, dry, and doesn't require disassembling the slave.

I found it easier to bleed with the whole thing installed, with the slave hanging off the trans.

--- Twist the slave cylinder off the transmission, and point it vertically, with the pushrod facing the ground. With the cap off the reservoir,

SLOWLY depress pushrod into the cylinder about an inch while watching the reservoir for bubbles.

Repeat process until air bubbles no longer appear, usually about 10 to 15 strokes. With the cap still off, slowly press the pushrod in far enough to reconnect the bands on the retaining strap, if not already broken. Reinstall slave and replace the cap. Using short quick strokes, press the clutch pedal 20 to 30 times or until pedal is firm. Under normal usage, small anounts of air remaining will purge itself from the system. ---
will the pushrod return on its own in this process?
fashions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

The slave cylinder has a spring that tries to push out the slave rod.

That's why there is that plastic doohickus on new slave cylinders, to keep the rod in, otherwise, when you install the slave cylinder, you have to make sure the rod is seated correctly in the release fork. The rod won't fall out, because there is a rubber dust cap.
97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
fashions
fashions is on a distinguished road

Thanks MikeNW.
I have a couple of extra hyd. systems from u-pull it. and will give it a try. sounds easy enough.

I spent a sat a last month trying each till i ended up with the same one i started with.

ps. I found a Luk clutch kit in Denver area for $170 - 1.9 '00-'02 which am leaning towards for my replacement.
fashions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashions View Post
ps. I found a Luk clutch kit in Denver area for $170 - 1.9 '00-'02 which am leaning towards for my replacement.
If that $170 is shipped, I'd go for it. You can get it shipped off of ebay for $180.
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
mrclean92124
mrclean92124 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 SLow View Post
SLow you are the KING... I searched for 2 days on this forum. Yours is the DEFINATIVE post on how this should be done. I was all ready to remove master/slave from car and wet bleed it after disassembly... What a mess.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...
mrclean92124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
--- Twist the slave cylinder off the transmission, and point it vertically, with the pushrod facing the ground. With the cap off the reservoir,
Where is the cap (and reservoir)? I thought these were sealed units that could not be bled? I also wonder why you can buy the slave parts by itself?? (if this is the case)
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

The reservoir is on the master cylinder, on the firewall (see owner's manual). The assembly is pre-bled and sealed, but once installed, the level should be checked periodically. And yes, some folks sell the individual parts to unsuspecting buyers, but without a bleeder screw anywhere, bleeding becomes an exercise.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #10
madeinUSA
madeinUSA is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1998 SW2

Just wanted to say this works very, very well. Did this on my 92 which had never been done and now shifts better than it has in years.
I was having issues with shifting especially at lower speeds and fast/ power shifting was about nonexistent. Pedal was very low and my SL2 has a newer SPEC stage 2 clutch/ pressure plate which I did not think was the issue.
I had taken it completely off the car before I found this post...did it about the same way...just sucked the old (nasty, with unknown white particles) fluid out and added new fluid while the slave cylinder rod was pushed in. (DO NOT push the master cylinder rod) Did that several times until the fluid was clear.
Recommend it to anyone with a manual S-series. The fluid is hydroscopic (attracts moisture) and just does not work well over time.
I would say definitely do this before replacing the Clutch Slave/ Master Cylinder....only cost $3.50 for some brake fluid and mine works like new.
'92 SL2 / '91 SC / '06 Cobalt SS (supercharged!)....Proud American driving American made!
madeinUSA is offline   Reply With Quote