SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
Ander
Ander has a spectacular aura aboutAnder has a spectacular aura about

Default p0010 p0013 p0014 diagnosing

Hello saturn owners!

I am a long time creeper here. I finally made a account when my 2003 3.0l Vue was having issues. Now my woman's 2008 Saturn Aura 2.4l with 132,000 miles was brought to my attention.( Car is in very good condition minus this )

She said she noticed it would not accelerate so she took it into a place for them to run the codes and p0010 p0013 p0014 p0446 all came up.

I asked her how long she noticed it driving funny it was at-least 1-2 months of her driving it in that condition just not as bad as now.

I drove it prior to starting this endeavor to work one day and was flabbergasted. The car would not accelerate just putter, nor want to shift just would stick at 4K rpms on the high way going 50 mph acting like it was towing mount zion. Mind you I was driving in Atlanta's rush hour and got the finger from many pissed off commuters. I proceeded to tap the steering wheel hoping it would accelerate sometimes it worked. ***Anytime I hit around 4K+ rpms I got a horrible noise sometimes sharp metal sound cant explain the sound didn't happen all the time but I can replicate it it is not intermittent.

After reading up I decided I will buy her a Intake and Exhaust Actuators/Solenoids since they are reported as high failure parts and a Camshaft sensor for good measure.

She was 32K over due for a change of spark plugs I bought 4 Bosch platinum.

The first thing I did was replace the Camshaft sensor since that was the first part I bought and took out the exhaust cam Actuators/Solenoids noticed gunk on it cleaned it up. I drove it to autozone noticed a difference but it was still not accelerating like I wanted it too, still had hesitation. When I got to Autozone the only code that was tripped was p0010. Thjat code is for Intake Solenoid/Actuator.

That night I changed the spark plugs and it was doing pretty good that night just wouldn't drop you in the back of your seat when accelerating. Decided to pick up the Intake and Exhaust Actuators/Solenoids and change them in the morning.

That morning I changed the solenoids and put in a new airfilter(It needed it). I took it out for a test spin and the code was gone but it was worse then the night before in regards to accelerating.

Seems the more I pressed on the gas the worse it did. It is choppy driving it you'll feel it lose power when driving it and it will rev back up to normal speed than cut power specially on the long sloping hills around here. The car is drive-able but if you needed quick acceleration, forget about it the more you press on the pedal the worse it would be, there is a sweet spot on the pedal if you cross it, you lose acceleration. In a higher gear going 40-50 the more you press on the pedal the rpms will crank up but wont transfer to much power. This is intermittent as I can get it to high way speeds and be fine if there isnt any upward sloping going on.

It seems to be getting better the more I drive it. The oil is fairly new 85% left on the life. I might have smelled a faint rotten egg smell but it could have been my imagination, because now I am thinking the catalytic converter might be plugged from the fuel mixture being rich from those months her driving it wonky.

I have a multimeter I will have to look up how to test the ignition system. I might have to test the plugs, the bosch platinum spark plugs I put in have been reported to cause this issue but regardless I would think a check engine light would pop on if it is still driving like this or missing!

***To recap I have replaced the parts below and have no check engine light but problem persists.

Camshaft Sensor - Replaced
Intake Camshaft Actuator Solenoid
Exhaust Camshaft Actuator Solenoid
Replaced Spark plugs with Bosch Platinum

Spent the weekend babying her car and yielded more questions then solutions I tried to explain the best I could of what I did and what I feel the car is doing. Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited by Ander; 04-05-2015 at 10:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ander's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ander reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ander is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE
Default Re: p0010 p0013 p0014 diagnosing

get an exhaust backpressure test. i suspect (95% confidence) the cat is failing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

after the poor acceleration issue is fixed you'll still have an evap system(446) problem to deal with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
Ander

This morning I got a call from the girlfriend that the check engine came on. I told her go get it checked!

The error code was upstream 02 sensor. We have a bad cat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ander reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:55 PM   #5
greenman

2009 AURA XE

the cat & exhaust manifold is an assy on the 2.4l. & too bad yours is past the special coverage adj or you might have gotten a free one:

SPECIAL COVERAGE
Bulletin No.: 10134B
Date: November 01, 2011
Subject: --10134B Special Coverage Adjustment Catalytic Converter Warranty Extension
Models:
2006-2007 Chevrolet Malibu
Equipped with 2.2L Engine (L61)
2008 Chevrolet Malibu
2006-2008 Pontiac G6
2008 Saturn AURA
Equipped with 2.4L Engine (LE5) and 4-Speed Automatic Transmission (MN5)
2008 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid
2008 Saturn AURA Hybrid
Equipped with 2.4L Engine (LAT)
Supercede:
This bulletin has been revised to include 2008 Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn AURA Hybrid vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LAT). Please discard all copies of bulletin 10134A, issued August 2011.
Condition
Some customers of 2006-2007 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles equipped with a 2.2L engine (L61); 2006-2008 model year Pontiac G6 and 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn AURA vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LE5) and 4-speed automatic transmission (MN5); and 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn AURA Hybrid vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LAT) may comment about the illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. This may be due to erosion of the mat within the catalytic converter.
Special Coverage Adjustment
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.
Dealers are to perform the necessary diagnostic steps to determine if the catalytic converter requires replacement. The customer should not be charged for performing the diagnostic check when it is determined that the catalytic converter is not the cause of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. A labor code has been provided to submit claims for such diagnosis. Any additional necessary diagnosis and repairs that are not related to the catalytic converter are not covered by this special coverage. The customer should be informed that any further service that is not covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be covered by this special coverage.
For 2006-2007 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Pontiac G6 vehicles: Vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 17, 2010, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 17, 2010, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.
For 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6, and Saturn AURA vehicles (non hybrid: Vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after August 23, 2011, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to August 23, 2011, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.
For 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn AURA Hybrid vehicles: Vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 2, 2011, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 2, 2011, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.
Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2006-2007 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles equipped with a 2.2L engine (L61); 2006-2008 model year Pontiac G6 and 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn AURA vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LE5) and 4-speed automatic transmission (MN5); and 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn AURA Hybrid vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LAT).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #6
Ander

Exhaust Manifold/Catalytic converter was replaced and the car is back to normal condition! She has been driving it and is quite happy.

I noticed today though it had the check engine light on. I went and got it read and it was P0171.

I am going to check all intake connections. The shop who did the service work wants it back in a few days to do an emissions test so might be an exhaust leak from there work. I am quite sad I did not get a chance to do the job!

2008 2.4L Aura XE
2003 3.0L Saturn Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!