SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
sandybright
sandybright is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Wrench Looking for good mechanic in NJ area for radiator work...

Hey guys,

Not quite sure where else to turn so I'm hoping someone here can help. I've been havin probs with the car lately (99 SL2) and brought it in to the dealership to take a look. They took a look and determined I needed alot of radiator work, specifically a new water pump, new radiator w/ hoses, and new coolant reservoir...They're quoting me $1100.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if they're trying to overcharge me. In forms of leaking coolant, I have to refill my coolant about every 5 days. Being a poor college student, I'm trying to determine just how dire these repairs can be while at the same time not killing my engine.

1999 Blackberry SC1 - 74,000 miles 2002-2005 :(

1999 Blackberry SL2 - 121,000 miles 2006-present

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sandybright's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sandybright reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sandybright is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
Greg1
Greg1 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Looking for good mechanic in NJ area for radiator work...

Radiator, water pump and hoses should be under $200 at Rockauto.com. I don't think the reservoir is available aftermarket. Perhaps you could find someone at college that is car savy that you could hire.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

That's about $200-250 in parts, and all procedures that can be done with hand tools in a driveway. Labor prices vary wildly by region in the US, but $1100 sounds like he's got a boat payment due. $600 would be more in the ball park.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
Special Forces
Special Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

I'm exit 16W off the Turnpike, too.

I would offer to help but I'm headed back to college this Friday and probably won't have the time to do everything needed on your car. I don't know of many mechanics in the area that wouldn't charge a lot. We do live in one of the most wealthiest counties in the country (you wouldn't know by visiting my house or looking at yours probably (I may be wrong on that)).

/// Need rebuilt valve bodies? PM Me. \\\
//// Why bother with ebay when I'm right here? \\\\\
Valve bodies built to order

Please PM me about valve bodies, do not post a visitor message.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Special Forces's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Special Forces reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Special Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:20 AM   #5
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

At those prices, you could take a long weekend and drive it down here. I even have a spare reservoir. I seriously doubt that all that work is necessary. Can you tell where it's leaking? If it's not leaking, I'd sue the dealer.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
1999greenSL2
Advanced Member
1999greenSL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
At those prices, you could take a long weekend and drive it down here. I even have a spare reservoir. I seriously doubt that all that work is necessary. Can you tell where it's leaking? If it's not leaking, I'd sue the dealer.
If he's not burning 2 gallons of coolant in 5 days, what else could be happening to it besides a leak?

I've seen where not changing coolants leads to it becoming acidic enough to erode the blades off the water pump. I could probably post a picture of the old water pump if we still have it at the shop. Anyway, this means it's not pushing any water and leads to a cracked radiator. And in this particular case, they also needed a new reservoir cap because theirs kept blowing off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1999greenSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1999greenSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1999greenSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999greenSL2 View Post
If he's not burning 2 gallons of coolant in 5 days, what else could be happening to it besides a leak?
Yes there is a leak but, I'm pretty sure the refilling every 5 days isn't the whole 2 gallons. I'll agree it's not impossible for a car to need all that but, it's unusual and I'd bet against it.

To the OP find out where it's leaking.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

get a flashlight and look up and down each side of the radiator for a crack. usually it'll be near one of the radiator hoses.

don't know how they know you need a new reservoir unless they removed it and saw it leaking.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:26 AM   #9
yogi1200
yogi1200 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1
2004 ION-3 Sedan
Checkered Flag Re: Looking for good mechanic in NJ area for radiator work...

My 93 SC1 was leaking coolant from the hose going trom the reservior toward the firewall behind the air filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yogi1200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yogi1200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yogi1200 is offline   Reply With Quote