SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library

Old 01-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #121
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: S-Series Automatic Transaxle "Reverse Slam Cure-All"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirty123 View Post
Does this sound like the input and output shaft nuts and Valve Body??
Input Shaft Nut usually just affects 1st to 2nd shift and Reverse. You might focus on the Line Pressure Solenoid with harsh shifts to all gears. Some other possibilities listed here . . .
http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1295668200
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #122
ASAT
ASAT is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 96 sl2 - test drive and checkout at local repair shop showed no issues.... today I checked the atf - looked a bit low so I added a pint and 5 miles later I have revesrse slam and a check engine light - are they related? Can too much fluid cause revese slam problems? Also, the tranny fluid is just above the add line... should I remove some fluid? Or just do the Wolfman fix?

Last edited by ASAT; 03-10-2011 at 06:31 PM.
ASAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #123
Ecomike
Ecomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of light

2001 SL1

Interesting about the buzzing!

We tried the reverse slam cure, it fixed the reverse slam, but not the 1-2 and 2-3 slam. Replaced the valve body with a rebuilt one, and all the slam problems went away. But now we have odd buzzing in gear, and while shifting at 0 MPH, buzz varies from one gear to the other, but other than a mild buzz (worst in low gear, 1-2, and hardly noticeable in D) it drives and shifts normally now. As it shifts from R to N, N to D, 1-2 to 3 or D, you can hear the buzz tone change, like buzz, click, buzz, no buzz, or low volume continuous buzz!

We got the rebuilt VB off of Ebay, with the after market performance (Sonac? sp?) valves installed by the rebuilder in the VB. Been getting heavy daily mileage for 6 weeks now.
Ecomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #124
2K05GT
2K05GT is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Hello,
I have a 2000 SL2 DOHC that my mom spun a bearing in it back in 2008, the car sat in the garage 2 years before I got time to pull the motor and replaced the crank, pistons and connection rod, as well as timing chain, and it had a warped head, so I got all that fixed and drove it around today and I pulled into the gas station to fill it up with fresh gas and I put it in reverse, BOOM, it slammed into reverse and I got 2-P0708 codes. since this was the first time could this be sticky selinoids or do I need to replace the Valve body?
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:46 AM   #125
Meowth
Meowth is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

So if I were to buy a Saturn Taat Rebuilt Valve Body With Sonnax Updates all I need to do is take out the old one and put this one in?
Meowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #126
Old Crow
Old Crow has a spectacular aura aboutOld Crow has a spectacular aura about

2K05GT,

I would try Wolfman's reverse slam cure first (driving in 2nd gear for ~15 minutes may do the same thing as Wolfman's parking in reverse - i.e. force warm AT fluid through the solenoid). You will be doing two filter and fluid changes. First drain and replace your old fluid and filter, do the Reverse Slam Cure, then drain and replace again.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23670

It will probably help, but in the long run I had to replace the boost valve in the valve body.
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #127
Old Crow

Meowth - I believe "Rich" has posted a youtube video of replacing the VB. You might be able to search his postings or find reference to it in these forums. I thought I had it bookmarked but cannot find it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/richpin06a

This video is good for getting to the VB and replacing it's solenoids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUSSj_2eHUY
Old 04-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #128
Ecomike
Ecomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of light

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowth View Post
So if I were to buy a Saturn Taat Rebuilt Valve Body With Sonnax Updates all I need to do is take out the old one and put this one in?
That is the guy I bought ours from. It worked great. Just a few thoughts. One be sure you do not drop a bolt or the manual valve (a long metal part, round, about the size of a pencil) into the tranny case while installing the rebuilt valve body. It is easy to loose your grip and loose it. Also it easy to damage the new valve body gasket! Best advice is do not install it by yourself in the dark!

A second pair of hands while setting the VB in place, and while holding the VB up to hook the metal link rod to the manual valve is a near must. It it real pain to do by yourself, leaning down and over, and trying the hold a 20 lb part while try to blindly attach to loose parts under the back side of the VB.

The You tube video is a great time saver!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:32 AM   #129
Ecomike

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
2K05GT,

I would try Wolfman's reverse slam cure first (driving in 2nd gear for ~15 minutes may do the same thing as Wolfman's parking in reverse - i.e. force warm AT fluid through the solenoid). You will be doing two filter and fluid changes. First drain and replace your old fluid and filter, do the Reverse Slam Cure, then drain and replace again.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23670

It will probably help, but in the long run I had to replace the boost valve in the valve body.
I would agree. Even if you replace the VB latter, the Wolfman reverse slam cure is a good process for flushing and cleaning junk out of the transmission before installing the rebuilt VB.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #130
jerdboyd
jerdboyd is on a distinguished road

if i have reverse slam and not so smooth shifting from 1st into 2nd do i need to do both the valve body and input/output shaft nuts or can i start with the valve body and see if it fixes both issues before i move on to the shaft nuts?

the valve body is more expensive but easier to do by the looks of it.
jerdboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #131
Ecomike

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdboyd View Post
if i have reverse slam and not so smooth shifting from 1st into 2nd do i need to do both the valve body and input/output shaft nuts or can i start with the valve body and see if it fixes both issues before i move on to the shaft nuts?

the valve body is more expensive but easier to do by the looks of it.

Best choice is to do the valve body first. Also try the reverse slam cure first, if for no other reason than to clean the guts of the transmission, then drain the fluid, then install the rebuilt VB, that way no varnish junk can screw up the new valve body. That was all I needed to do. I suspect the VB goes bad first, from what I have read, then leads to the loose nuts later if the VB is not addressed soon enough.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #132
Old Crow

Boring auto pressure regulator and installing new Sonax valve & spring kit fixed my wife's (did not replace the entire VB).
Old 11-09-2011, 12:40 AM   #133
Ecomike

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
Boring auto pressure regulator and installing new Sonax valve & spring kit fixed my wife's (did not replace the entire VB).
I paid about $200 delivered for a rebuilt one with that done to it by someone on Ebay that has them ready to go, and he guarantees his work.

Either way, I agree, go with the Sonax valve upgrade!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #134
glowry
glowry is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2002 SL

I just recently purchased my 2002 SL1 automatic with 128,000 miles on it. One owner older family for almost all its life. I start a new job in about a week and need a relaiable car to take me the 80 miles each way.
The car had a high idle problem which replacing the thermostat fixed.
Before the idle problem fix, the transmission slammed just a little going into gear, but was very positive. I assumed it was the high idle. It shifted smooth after the idle fix.
I also instaled a new wix filter and Amzoil ATF fluid. The filter was missing the magnet so I figure that the oil was changed at least once before. The car has had two tanks full of gas since the oil change and I thought all was well.
I did notice one issue, under full throttle in second gear around 3,000 it appeared to sorta shift down, I assumed the torque converter was locking up mid second gear. No other issues, and this was very consistant.
However today the transmission started to slam into second. I stopped a few minutes later and the car would not go into reverse at all.
I was alble to drive it home, but it almost sounds like a slight metal to metal noise when giving it gas in first gear.
Reading this thread It looks like I need to pull the cover and tighten the nut. But I have some questions:
1.) Should I also change the Valve body and if so where is the best place to purchase one.
2.) Also where is the "wolfman fix" I cannot find the orginal thread.
3.) Do you still recommend purchasing the gaskets etc from the GM dealership. I lot has happened with Saturn parts since 2008
4.)
This is a great forum, been a big help so far.
glowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #135
glowry

2002 SC2
2002 SL

Additional Information:
When the car is cold it will go into Reverse with just a small thump. I was able to back out of the drive way.
However after it warmed up, no reverse.
Also when the reverse stopped working the Service Engine soon light came on. The codes are PO-341 (Cam Positon Sensor) and PO-732 Gear 2 incorrect Ratio.

Any help would be greatly appricated.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #136
jerdboyd

Since all saturn dealers are shut down, where can i get an OEM Transmission filter?
Old 11-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #137
timnrene
timnrene is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

You could try any GM dealer, or Autozone. I saw on Autozone that they have AC/Delco tranny filter for my 98 SC2. That said, it's about 2-1/2 times the price of an aftermarket filter. Good Luck.

Quote:
Since all saturn dealers are shut down, where can i get an OEM Transmission filter?
timnrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #138
jerdboyd

ended up just going to canadian tire for the filter. i managed to remove the old filter without taking the air box out. the old filter had the magnet on it but it seemed that the magnet was almost completely covering the circle of small holes on the filter. the new filter i got had its holes further to outside and the holes were not obstructed.

i just finished running the car in reverse for 30 minutes, and i took it for a ten minute drive around town. it still won't engage the reverse while the engine is hot but the 2nd gear shifting is much smoother. do i just need to let it run in reverse for longer or do i definitely need the new valve body?

jeremy boyd
Old 11-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #139
glowry

2002 SC2
2002 SL

Update on my situation.

I tried the Wolfman Reverse Slam cure, did not help my situation, had reverse when cold but no reverse when warm. The forward drivability seemed a little better.

I replaced the nuts on the input and output shaft last night. The input shaft nut was loose, the output shaft nut was somewhat tight, but not near the torque value. Both are new and torqued to the proper torque. The input shaft was very difficult to hold to torque. I ended up using a shim I had from a past job to hold the shaft. The sockets from McMaster Carr worked great, no grinding or hammering required.

Once I reconnected the battery the codes cleared and the car drove very smooth.

I have a valve body ordered from Special Forces, hopefully with regular fluid and filter changes this will be the end of the transmission issues.

Thanks to everyone who posted information and the how-to info, this is so helpful; I would have spent thousands of dollars if it weren't for all the great info on this site.

Thanks
Greg

Last edited by glowry; 11-20-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 11-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #140
Ecomike

2001 SL1

Quote:
ended up just going to canadian tire for the filter. i managed to remove the old filter without taking the air box out. the old filter had the magnet on it but it seemed that the magnet was almost completely covering the circle of small holes on the filter. the new filter i got had its holes further to outside and the holes were not obstructed.

i just finished running the car in reverse for 30 minutes, and i took it for a ten minute drive around town. it still won't engage the reverse while the engine is hot but the 2nd gear shifting is much smoother. do i just need to let it run in reverse for longer or do i definitely need the new valve body?

jeremy boyd
It is my understanding that the nuts do not come loose, until after the valve body has had problems that led to the reverse slam problem. It is much easier to replace the valve body, than to reach those 2 nuts. We did the valve body 8 months ago, and never touched the nuts, nearly 15,000 miles since then, with no problem. Do the valve body first.