SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-17-2020, 08:33 AM   #1
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1
Default '95 Air Bag Light

anyone have any experience with diagnosing an air bag light?

Was on yesterday when I fired ol Highmile up for the drive home. Sometimes it was on constant and sometimes it would flash for a few min then then go back to on constantly.

Highmile
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2020, 09:19 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: '95 Air Bag Light

No expertise in airbags. I think you need to have wiring diagrams in order to have some info. Basic airbag descriptions are available but exact info are usually from GM service manuals, alldata or Mitchell. Searching may turn up free wiring diagrams.

If your '95 have only one or two airbags (no side curtain bags), troubleshooting may be less difficult to trace wiring between airbag(s) and SDM (service and diagnostic module) and each sensor to sdm. The sdm is a standalone for the airbag system with sensors on the car to detect frontal crash G forces. Whether or not side impact sensors exists for '95s, I don't know. If I'm not mistaken, the sdm is under the middle console next to the parking brake lever. Overall assessment may be as little as removing the console to examine the sdm and determine where wiring goes. From there, yellow wiring defines airbag circuitry. Sensors may be inside the sdm or elsewhere as wiring would fan out from the sdm.

Some past threads mentioned spilling liquids over the center console, working into the sdm connections, creating problems. If sensors are damaged, this can be challenging to find without service manuals unless you spend the time tracing wiring from the sdm.

From info describing the airbag system, when ignition is turned on, the airbag module performs its own power up self tests, checking airbag connections and sensors. If airbags, sensors and wiring are intact and passes self tests, the sdm arms itself. The airbag light turns on with all other instrument panel indicators to indicate the sdm is performing its self tests. When the a/b indicator turns off, this indicates the airbags are ready. The sdm, if I;m not mistaken, charges itself to 24v, the deployment voltage needed to activate each airbag. When sensors detect a sudden deceleration deemed as a crash, the sdm sends the 24v charge to each a/b to deploy. If the self tests fail, something failed and the a/b indicator either remains on or turns on. When on, the a/b system is disabled from operating, no a/b deployment in a crash. Under normal circumstances, the a/b light remaining on or intermittently cycling on usually means dealer service as a safety issue.

Airbag systems are as complicated as EFI systems. No diy service procedures as airbags contain small explosive charges that require specific procedures during diagnosing/troubleshooting. Saturns supposedly have shorting bar when disconnecting each a/b - disconnecting an a/b mechanically shorts the a/c connector to prevent static electricity from acting as a voltage trigger to deploy the a/b.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:28 AM   #3
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really nice

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I assume the one test the system can do is continuity. It has to circulate a very small current to make sure there is not an open circuit.

I guess another test would be the range of the accelerometer signal.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
A2Saturn
A2Saturn is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

I've had the issue where it would stay on when cold last winter. Once warmed up, and restarted it would go away. Yesterday with warm weather the air bag light stayed on, and when restarted warm, would not go off. I looked through SF threads on this, and one thing to try, is to pull the fuse out and clean it. I used 4x steel wool on the ends of the fuse, and put it back in, and today no issues with it staying on after initial startup.
A2Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:43 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Full FSM testing & diagnostic (pdf too big for the forum's uploader): http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...80695654013143

I believe a Tech II or equivalent is required to read air bag codes and do some of the tests mentioned.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:05 AM   #6
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

@ A2Saturn-

Good to reseat or clean fuse blades.

On '95, I unsure the type fuse.
On my 2000 the fuses are tiny ... the blades have a grey-silver patina,
with some darker sections, like a tarnish on silver.

I believe these tiny fuses have blades with silver plating. They do tarnish and lose the connection.

I would suggest Not to clean silver-plated blades with steel wool, as that would remove the silver, and leave reactive steel.

On other hand, if the blades are just brass, Clean them. But here again, i would not suggest steel wool as suitable abrasive.

Still ... if you fixed the problem GoodOne!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote