SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue

Old 01-11-2020, 08:39 PM   #1
laellee
laellee is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default 2008 Vue ABS/ traction control problem.

Hi there, new to the site. I purchased a 2008 Vue with 140,000 miles about a week ago, and a day later ran into a problem that seems to be somewhat common.
I was driving the car home from work the next day, and after hitting a slight drift/ice spot on the road, I got several warning lights.

-Brake system warning light
-ABS
-TCS Indicator
-Electronic Stability Program light

I have done my due diligence, and already put a bit of work into this (especially after reading that this is apparently not an unheard of said of issues with this make and model).

-First visually checked all 4 ABS sensors (and connections to the firewall), everything looked fine.

-Headed down to an O'reilly's to get it scanned, registered a right front wheel sensor.

-Bought a new wheel sensor, when I went to install it it was frozen in the hub

-Sooooo, next up I pulled the old hub and installed a a new hub and sensor. Took it for a drive, still getting the codes. (also pulled the battery terminal cables per O'reilly's, touched them for about 5 seconds, reconnected, still codes)

So a bit late for this I suppose, but today I went in and checked the resistance on that front left wheel sensor. I got a reading right off the sensor's plug connector of about 760 ohms, and then about the same at the inner fender wall connector before it really gets into the engine bay. I dug around quite a bit online, and 750-760 ohms looks to be a bit below spec.

I'll be going to get the ABS/etc scanned again tomorrow, but any initial thoughts? Are those resistance readings low enough to cause my problems? My next course of action tomorrow is going to try and inspect the wiring farther back in the engine bay for problems, but I feel like I'm grasping at straws a bit right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you!
laellee is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2020, 10:47 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2008 Vue ABS/ traction control problem.

As you know, abs/tc/esc are all integrated into the EBTCM, the motor and electronics next to the brake master cylinder with brake lines between the two. When performing diy diagnosing, troubleshooting and repairs, you assume all risks relying on as much info as dealers and repair shops have.

In addition to wheel speed sensors on each wheel hub, wiring and reluctors are the other components external to the ebtcm. Did you examine reluctors for damage, cracks in the toothed ring or severe rusting collecting in the gaps? Broken reluctors generate false speed signals since the teeth and gaps are detected by each sensor to generate timing signals and compared similar signals from each sensor. Cracked reluctors have triggered abs braking while cruising parking lots. Damaged wiring triggers error codes and a continuity test is needed to ensure each wire is intact, unbroken from sensor to ebtcm. Problems with abs/tc/esc are always related to external parts exposed to the elements and road rash. Worn wheel bearings are known to trigger abs activation.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:42 AM   #3
laellee

2008 VUE 3.6L

Thanks for the information! Mechanically I am pretty handy, but with the electronics I may just have it taken in (also having a proper lift would be great but that's another story).

A bit of an update as well, we took the car on a test drive to get the codes checked again, and in the process discovered that the power steering seemed to want to act up sometimes. It seemed to be a little stiff, even sluggish at slow speeds (turning, pulling out of a spot) at low RPMs. Not an all-the-time deal, but enough to be concerning.

As for the codes that registered, these are what came back:

C0550 ECU
C0040 Rt front speed sensor
C0899 EBCM low volts
C0201 Anti lock brake system enable contact
C0460 Steering wheel angle sensor

Soooooo.... I'm not sure if that gives any clues to the problem, or if the power steering issue could be related. I'm thinking this next week I will get it over to the mechanic who has more time and tools than I do. I am not unwilling to dig into the problem more, but I've already put $250 in parts into the issue and don't want to create a money-pit that still leads to a mechanic's visit. Our other vehicle is a new Challenger, if we get another good midwestern snow storm we'll be virtually stranded without the Saturn.

Thanks again for the help, it is very much appreciated!
Old 01-13-2020, 03:52 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

With more info and error codes, I wonder if power is contributing to this abs/tc problem. Power being battery, battery cables, their connections, alternator and drive belt system. With many things running electronics, power is crucial to electronic functions. Standby battery voltage should be around 12.5v while an idling engine should have alternator output around 14.5v at the battery terminals.
VCX NANO
Old 01-13-2020, 03:13 PM   #5
laellee

2008 VUE 3.6L

Great idea, I just threw my multimeter on.

Battery only (terminal connectors off)- 12.05 volts

In-series (reading taken between pos terminal and pos terminal connector- 11.44

Battery terminals while running- 14.66

Thanks you again for your help.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

How old is this battery and is it nearing its end of warranty? While no expert on car batteries, they tend to lose capacity (charge) at the end of their warranty. Only a few diligent car owners using a trickle charger every night may extend battery life well after warranty. "I'm not just the owner of hair loss for men but a client...."

I noticed this winter (battery now in its 5th year) when my car sits unused for two days or more, the initial startup seems slower. Once started, everything is normal. Running errands, the starter is ruled out as the battery getting a charge runs lets the starter run quicker. I finally got around to measuring standby battery voltage, 12.05v. All other times, values remained at 12.5v. Alternator outputs as high as 15v, settling to around 14.5v. I'm suspecting my battery is nearing its end of life and will monitor voltage more often (before starting), search for a receipt for how long the warranty lasts and eventually to replace it. All previous years showed 12.5v until this winter, regardless of temperatures.
VCX NANO
Old 01-13-2020, 06:01 PM   #7
laellee

2008 VUE 3.6L

That is the kicker about the battery....

We bought this vehicle off of a new/used car lot on New Year's eve(practically in an ice storm), because our other winter vehicle had bit the dust and we needed something immediately. We've bought 3 previous vehicles from them, no issues at all.

Literally at 9 am THE NEXT DAY with less than 25 miles put on the vehicle, I got all of these lights. I of course contacted them, but I was essentially told 'sorry no warranty it's yours now, by the way we see codes like that all the time get it in a heated garage and they will probably go away'. So this all started pretty horribly anyways.

The only reason for the backstory there, besides me wanting to complain lol, is that when I went and checked the battery per your suggestion, I checked the warranty tab on it. It's 750cca from Blaine's Fleet Farm, 7 year warranty with 3 years free replacement, but whoever sold it to them never tic'd out the month and year. It doesn't look bad, but of course with the cover/etc on it that doesn't mean anything.

It's getting driven 60 miles today, when she gets back this evening I will check the battery again to see if it has dropped. While changing the sensor/hub/checking lines/etc, there was a period of time where the key was turned so the headlights were powered, but total time on that could not have been more than perhaps 45 minutes. The Vue was also driven perhaps 40 miles during the process of parts replacing, so I don't see that brief drain being enough to significantly affect the voltage.

Soooo, sorry for the book, but I appreciate that even details (like the steering) that seem insignificant to the troubleshooter can actually be a great indicator of the problem. Also as an aside, I'm glad the alternator is doing it's job; that looks like a BEAR to get to compared to traditional setups.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Battery manufacturers like codes. If Fleet Farm burns a code into the plastic, it may have a manufacturing date. Call or try for an online site and see if they provide date coding. This should help you determine month and year of manufacture. Any labeling can give clues on battery type and how long its warranty.

While battery issues may not be the problem here, keep an open mind with technical error codes about abs issues that may not describe power in a checklist.
VCX NANO
Old 01-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #9
lrbraner
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

A lot of batteries have a tag on the side that shows the month and year of manufacture
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:44 AM   #10
laellee

2008 VUE 3.6L

Thanks both of you.... I hadn't thought about a manufacturing stamp. Especially with a 7 year warranty battery, that could help recoup by date a bit. Never mind the idea that a Fleet Farm battery was allowed to go out the door without sell date markings, it's really sad to know it happens so often.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #11
orlandovue
orlandovue is on a distinguished road

Did you ever resolve this issue? I have a 2008 AWD Vue, with all the same issues. An Internet search shows many Vue owners have the same issue dating back to 2009. I've spent $2K trying to resolve it with the best result around two weeks without all the lights going on. One difference is a scan never revealed a bad sensor. I've replaced the BCM, paid someone 10 hours labor to trace electrical wires, replaced ABS sensor leads. Only 70K miles on the car but I am about ready to retire it to the junk yard.
orlandovue is offline   Reply With Quote