SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue

Old 01-31-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
Smokey
Smokey will become famous soon enough

Default Spark Plug Change

Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to change the spark plugs on the 3.6L engine?
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2019, 06:04 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Spark Plug Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to change the spark plugs on the 3.6L engine?
I don't have a 3.6 and never helped anyone change 3.6 plugs but will attach a few FSM extracts for you to review.

I also have ignition coil removal extracts which are too large to attach to post but I will email if you PM address.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 08 Vue - 3.6L Spark Plug R2.pdf (110.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: pdf 08 Vue - 3.6L F.I. Sight Shld R2.pdf (122.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf 08 Vue - 3.6L Ign Sys Specs.pdf (10.7 KB, 7 views)
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #3
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

On behalf of all of us with 3.6L engine, thank you for posting the how to far2grumpy. Much appreciated.

My '09 Vue with that motor has low miles for its age. I am retired now and don't drive much. Anybody know that the spark plug change interval is on the 3.6L?...miles recommended?

Any horror stories if plugs left in too long that they will bond to the cylinder thread? Anybody know if they use anti seize paste on spark plug threads from the factory?...or if anti seize paste is recommended for spark plug replacement?

Thank you.
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
Smokey
Smokey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm7 View Post
On behalf of all of us with 3.6L engine, thank you for posting the how to far2grumpy. Much appreciated.

My '09 Vue with that motor has low miles for its age. I am retired now and don't drive much. Anybody know that the spark plug change interval is on the 3.6L?...miles recommended?

Any horror stories if plugs left in too long that they will bond to the cylinder thread? Anybody know if they use anti seize paste on spark plug threads from the factory?...or if anti seize paste is recommended for spark plug replacement?

Thank you.
I believe they are supposed to be changed at 100,000 miles.The three plugs towards the front look fairly simple, not sure how to access the three in the back.

Thank you as well far2grumpy!
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:49 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
.....Any horror stories if plugs left in too long that they will bond to the cylinder thread? Anybody know if they use anti seize paste on spark plug threads from the factory?...or if anti seize paste is recommended for spark plug replacement?
Some background history of engines and spark plugs may help. Google for info and any changes if I'm mistaken.

Iron engine blocks with cast iron cylinder heads used black oxide coated spark plugs with or without antiseize compound. Black oxide is a surface treatment but oxidation still occurs. Aluminium cylinder heads being softer and easier to strip spark plug holes use longer threaded holes and longer threaded spark plugs. No black oxide, nickel plating on spark plug threads. Aluminum and steel react to each other, described as galvanic action. The result is what I describe as the equivalent of mechanical corrosion creating loctite as the two corroded metals form a tight bond. Nickel plated spark plugs acts as the barrier between the two metals. Some manuals mention using anti seize. Other manuals do not. To further the pros and cons of using anti seize when plugs are already plated, many may remove spark plugs on aluminum cylinder heads and use a wire brush to clean off dirt on plug threads. GM service bulletins stress not cleaning this way as plating comes off and the benefits of plating is lost to prevent metal to metal reaction. Using anti seize lowers friction as plugs are tightened and inadvertently increase torque against soft aluminium threads. This may lead to thread stripping. It's always recommended to use service manuals for guidance as this can be a mine field of choices with inadvertent results. To put it mildly, aluminum cylinder heads are just more delicate than we think.

'05 Vues with 3.5 engines - service manuals stipulate in bold red lettering no anti seize as this can lead to over torquing and damage to cylinder heads. And to remove plugs from a cold engine. Removing plugs from a hot engine may cause cylinder head damage, thread stripping.

My '03 3.0L L300 with aluminum cylinder heads. The plugs were hard to break loose when I replaced them at 100k miles. No anti seize on factory plugs. New plugs went in without anti seize and a torque wrench. I had to remove three plugs recently for compression testing. They came out easily. A faulty ignition coil pack was the culprit.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
...or if anti seize paste is recommended for spark plug replacement?
I put that **** on everything.

atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #7
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

Great comments pro and con on using anti seize. Yes...slippery slope forgive the pun on how torque can be affected with anti-seize giving false reading on torque value and possible contribution to stripping. Careful when it comes to spark plugs in aluminum heads is of course the best course.

Specific to the '3.6L' Vue, anybody have a manual to see if anti-seize is spec'ed or not for pro and con reasons discussed?

Thanks for the good conversation...an important one.
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #8
Mgsystmz
Mgsystmz is a jewel in the roughMgsystmz is a jewel in the roughMgsystmz is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE 3.6L

Thank you far2grumpy for the attached files.
However,does anyone know the correct firing order/spark plug order??

Many thanks in advance.
Mgsystmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:26 PM   #9
Mgsystmz
Mgsystmz is a jewel in the roughMgsystmz is a jewel in the roughMgsystmz is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE 3.6L

2009 vue. 3.6
Firing Order 1/2/3/4/5/6
I believe the spark plug order is (Back)1/3/5 and (front)/2/4/6.

Looking for confirmation.

Last edited by Mgsystmz; 05-13-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Mgsystmz is offline   Reply With Quote