Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 02-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2
Default Question About Wolfman's "Reverse Slam Cure."

I've been reading through Wolfman's excellent instructions on the "reverse slam cure," the one that involves a flush and refill and running in reverse for half an hour, &c.

I have always used Saturn OEM filters and Mobil-1 synthetic ATF in my transmission, but Wolfman's instructions specifically mention not to use synthetic ATF. I have two questions:

1. Why?

2. That being the case, what brand is recommended?
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1
Default Re: Question About Wolfman's "Reverse Slam Cure."

You have to use conventional Dexron III or IV. Originally the recommended transmission fluid was type III but it is getting harder to find, so you can use IV. You don't want to use synthetic as you need to generate heat for this to work and synthetics do too good of a job at lubricating and heat reduction.

A point that has been brought up before that's assumed and not clear, is you will be doing two filter and fluid changes. First drain and replace your old fluid and filter, do the Reverse Slam Cure, then drain and replace again. As this is a temporary transmission filter you can use an aftermarket one on this step to save a few dollars. When you do the second drain and replace you can put synthetic back in with a OEM filter.
7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2
Default Re: Question About Wolfman's "Reverse Slam Cure."

Ah. So it's a case of has to be bad to be good.

I did wind up using an aftermarket filter and cheap non-synthetic fluid for this. I couldn't find Prolong anywhere locally so I used Lucas as the additive instead.

After I drive it around a while to see how I fared I'll be loosening the purse strings for more Mobil 1. Mostly I couldn't be arsed to drive all the way to my "local" (not very) Saturn dealer. I'll do that on Monday, I guess.
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote