what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Titanium48 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Ignition issues, no SES

What does it take to trigger a misfire code (OBD II, 1997 SL1)?

My car recently started to buck and hesitate when accellerating from below 2500 RPM and the fuel economy dropped by 2 km/L (5 MPG). I checked the ignition system and found worn spark plugs and 3 of 4 coil pack towers were white with oxidation.

Replacing the plugs and wires and cleaning off the coil pack towers solved the hesitation problem and restored normal fuel economy, so I'm assuming I just cured an intermittent misfire problem that never triggered a SES light. There have been posts here about cars throwing misfire codes without accompanying driveability problems while I had the opposite experience. What's up?

Add to Titanium48's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Titanium48 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Titanium48 is offline   Reply With Quote Sponsored Links