SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 08:12 PM   #1
spfrancis
spfrancis is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn SL1 overheating

I thought I would post this out, since maybe someone else has had the exact same problem. I have a 97 Saturn SL1. I am having an overheating problem. When I am driving in stop and go traffic for 15-20 minutes, then I start seeing the needle moving up. It didn't quite get to red, but I started smelling the engine overheating. As soon as I start moving faster, I'm fine. I'm thinking of just replacing the thermostat, but I thought I would ask people here.
Thanks.
Sony,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spfrancis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spfrancis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2003, 08:24 PM   #2
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Saturns are like that. It gives a fault impression that the car is overheat.

You can turn on the A/C for a few second to make your Radiator Fan to turn on or you can make a Radiator Fan switch yourself.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2003, 08:29 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

If you are going to replace things then start with the PCM coolant temp sensor. Also check the connecter to see if it's corroded, if so replace it as well.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2003, 09:33 PM   #4
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I started smelling the engine overheating.
Everything you report is normal, except the smelling like it's overheating.

Does the fan eventually come on if you leave it approach the red? If not, then you need to investigate why it's not coming on.

As SSICARMAN says, that PCM temp coolant sensor is the cheap and easy place to start if you think you have a problem.

As AMAZINGHL said, one way to check the fan circuit (fan and relay) and to cool the car down if you think it's too hot is to turn on the AC. If the fan doesn't come on when you do this, then you have a problem with the fan circuit - the fan relay or the fan itself are possible causes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2003, 04:11 PM   #5
spfrancis
spfrancis is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the long pause in answer. Today was meeting day..

To answer your questions: I don't think the fan will eventally come on. It didn't hit the red, but I saw some overheating vapor out of the wiper area of the hood, and I could smell the smell. I definitely dd not have the AC on, so next time I will put that on. I guess I could just pop the hood, and put the AC on, and see if I see the fan come on. This is the radiator fan we are talking about, right? I will look into replacing the PCM temp coolant sensor, if it is easy and cheap. It give me a chance to bond with the one love.
On another note, today I noticed that my low coolant light came on a couple of times today on the commute to work, mostly during turns. I will refill, but I assume that was from the vapor I saw disipate yesterday.

THis site is great. So much info, so quickly.

Later.
-Sony

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spfrancis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spfrancis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2003, 05:28 PM   #6
Mark85
Mark85 is on a distinguished road

for a while i thought my fan was broken, but the thermostat will go past the 3/4 mark and the fan still wont kick in, it doesnt kick in till it gets about 1 notch away from the red, to test it just park in a parking lot and let it idle, temp should raise pretty quick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark85's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark85 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2003, 08:44 PM   #7
Bigsmoker
Bigsmoker is on a distinguished road

ECTS definetly I had the same thing on my 94sl1 Fan didnt come on until the air conditioning was turned on regardless

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigsmoker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigsmoker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2003, 09:06 PM   #8
Dr. Bob
Master Member

Quote:
This is the radiator fan we are talking about, right?
Yes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 03:52 PM   #9
LoveMySL1s
LoveMySL1s is on a distinguished road

My son had a similar problem -- except his overheated and he claims the temp gauge never went up from its normal operating position.

I checked his fan operation by engaging the A/C -- it runs when the A/C is on. And, just to be sure, I swapped two of the relays in the underhood junction box -- it still works when the A/C is turned on.

I have not tried the park and "idle to fan on" test yet since he is working long hours and I only get a little time to work on it.

Could the ECTS malfunction to where it would not engage the engine fan relay, but still give a "normal" temperature reading to the temp gauge?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LoveMySL1s's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LoveMySL1s reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 07:35 PM   #10
Dr. Bob
Master Member

Saturn changed from using 2 coolant temp sensors (the 2 wire lower one was for the PCM, the upper single wire one was for the gauge) to a single 2 wire sensor.

Unfortunately, I can't remember WHEN they made the change, but it was after 95. Sorry, I suffer from occasional CRS... "can't remember stuff".

In response to LoveMySL1s query:

Quote:
Could the ECTS malfunction to where it would not engage the engine fan relay, but still give a "normal" temperature reading to the temp gauge?
yes. it is possible if it has two sensors. Since the sensors are not terribly expensive and it's easy enough to replace 'em, you might as well replace both of them. They require a 13mm deep socket. Check the connectors and replace if corroded.

The only time my 95SL2 got anywhere close to the red was when I went through drive throughs and waited seemingly forever for the goodies to be delivered. That thing would kick the fan on just before it went into the red. Scary as heck. Replacing the double wire sensor fixed that, but even then it would still go 5/8 of the way to the red.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-16-2005, 08:45 AM   #11
kathrynmary
kathrynmary is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Saturn SL1 overheating

im having the same troubles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kathrynmary's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kathrynmary reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2005, 09:00 AM   #12
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

The first thing I'd check since it's free is to turn on the AC and see if the radiator fan comes on. If not, there's a problem there. My guess would be fuse or motor. If the fan does come on, replace the ETCS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor). Be sure to get the part from Saturn. You want the one with 2 prongs for the PCM and check the connector as well. This is an easy repair provided you have a 13 mm deep well. There are instructions in the How-To Library.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2005, 09:17 AM   #13
93goldsl2
93goldsl2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Just a note from my own experience with the radiator fan. When I bought my car, the fan wouldn't run no matter what. I checked I was getting 12 V at the fan plug when the AC was on, so I bought another fan. Tested the new one before putting it in by connecting the plug to it - hey presto.... it didn't run. For some reason the ground was bad- it's grounded through the plug to the 'front splice pack' or some such, don't recall the exact name. I ran a separate ground from that terminal of the plug to the car body and everything has been fine for a year. Anyway I guess the lesson is it is good to check the ground as well as the 'hot' before concluding the fan (or whatever else) is bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93goldsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93goldsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2005, 10:12 AM   #14
mrfxit87
mrfxit87 is on a distinguished road

Happy Re: Saturn SL1 overheating

Hey guys,
Does anyone know which relay is for the fan? And do you just pull it out with some pliers?
Also the temp sensor. Where is that located?

Thanks. Just trying to get my 95 SC2 cooled off.

-m

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrfxit87's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrfxit87 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2005, 12:09 PM   #15
SATURNER
SATURNER is on a distinguished road

These links may help:

For ECTS location:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37884

For radiator fan diagnosis:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41736

This thread shows the fan relay which can usually be pulled by hand.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23668

Hang up and Drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SATURNER's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SATURNER reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread