SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #1
Zaturn
Zaturn is on a distinguished road

Default All sorts of info

Hey guys, I have an 08 Astra XR
I know absolutely nothing about modifications for it. I was hoping you could help me out.

Right now I'm looking into an air intake. What kind do I want, CAI or SR?

Can someone please show me where I can find a strutbar? I checked Whitelines website but was unable to find one.

What exhaust sounds good on these? I was looking at Flowmaster 80 series, Fswerks, Borla, Ragazzon, and Hushpower.

Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
SC2BuzzBomb
SC2BuzzBomb is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Re: All sorts of info

You should really save your money and pass on any modifications to the current Astra. Even with the mods, it will not give you satisfactory performance. You should save up for for a Buick Regal GS with the 6-speed transmission. You'll be glad you did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2BuzzBomb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2BuzzBomb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2BuzzBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Thumbs Down Re: All sorts of info

Listen to the troll like post from the Astra hater above.

Then go to the eurpoean sites and see all the nifty things available on the other side of the pond.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Limit13ss
Limit13ss is on a distinguished road

Agreed. There is next to no after-market parts here in NA. Everything you could get other than an intake, and HID's has to be purchased from Europe. For example, if you want a different grill, unless you find some1 to buy from locally, you are looking at 100$ to 300$ (just as an example). You can get rims and lower tho. Pro line and Sport line springs from Eicach I hear are pretty good. Performance wise, an intake will add a lot of noise, and improve throttle response, exhaust will do absolutely nothing, and you can get a pedal box to further increase the feel of the throttle. There are no lips available for our facelift bumper. All after-market bumpers look like ****, except the OPC/VXR OEM ones, but importing/fitting one is quite pricey. For in dash stereo you have a couple of options, from double din touch screens to regular decks. I think that covers most of it. I'm sure I missed some stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Limit13ss's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Limit13ss reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Limit13ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
Zaturn

You guys are telling me there's not even an available strut bar? Anywhere?!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Zaturn

I plan on doing an engine swap. I really love this little car. I will most likely be swapping in Ford's new 2.0 crate motor.

In the meantime I am looking to upgrade ride/handling/cosmetics.

Is there an available strut bar? If so...where?
How much do the Whiteline Sway Bars help?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
blackastra
blackastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaturn View Post
I plan on doing an engine swap. I really love this little car. I will most likely be swapping in Ford's new 2.0 crate motor.

In the meantime I am looking to upgrade ride/handling/cosmetics.

Is there an available strut bar? If so...where?
How much do the Whiteline Sway Bars help?
Gotta do the research, quite a few people have done different things. Just start with something simple.

As for the engine swap, good luck. Plenty of people have tried, but its something thats on the fence. Basically what its been narrowed down to is the 2.2 Ecotec might fit in. You can see if some of the engines from Opel/Vauxhall fit, but money wise, that will be costly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackastra View Post
Gotta do the research, quite a few people have done different things. Just start with something simple.

As for the engine swap, good luck. Plenty of people have tried, but its something thats on the fence. Basically what its been narrowed down to is the 2.2 Ecotec might fit in. You can see if some of the engines from Opel/Vauxhall fit, but money wise, that will be costly.
It's not a matter of whether or not an engine will physically fit, but if it can even communicate with the car's existing computer (there have been NO successful reflash attempts that I know of). While you could possibly swap out the computer with a different OEM or even an aftermarket one, the Astra's other electronics are so fully integrated that again, no one has posted about a successful swap of any kind. Our North American computers are not the same as those sold elsewhere. You'd be a trailblazer of sorts. While you could locate and ship a turbo 2.0L Astra engine and all related electronics over from Europe, it would be extremely expensive and you'd have no way of knowing if you'd be successful because -- as I've said -- nobody has come forward with a story of a successful swap. It might be possible, but it also might end up being a 3,000 lb paper weight when you finally throw in the towel.

You're not going to like hearing this, but this is the same answer given to lots of other people like yourself that join these forums with performance improvements in mind, and then disappear when they find how limited their options really are: sell your Astra now before you invest another dime, and buy something with a larger aftermarket community behind it.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Zaturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
It's not a matter of whether or not an engine will physically fit, but if it can even communicate with the car's existing computer (there have been NO successful reflash attempts that I know of). While you could possibly swap out the computer with a different OEM or even an aftermarket one, the Astra's other electronics are so fully integrated that again, no one has posted about a successful swap of any kind. Our North American computers are not the same as those sold elsewhere. You'd be a trailblazer of sorts. While you could locate and ship a turbo 2.0L Astra engine and all related electronics over from Europe, it would be extremely expensive and you'd have no way of knowing if you'd be successful because -- as I've said -- nobody has come forward with a story of a successful swap. It might be possible, but it also might end up being a 3,000 lb paper weight when you finally throw in the towel.

You're not going to like hearing this, but this is the same answer given to lots of other people like yourself that join these forums with performance improvements in mind, and then disappear when they find how limited their options really are: sell your Astra now before you invest another dime, and buy something with a larger aftermarket community behind it.
I am a computer programmer. I can write up my own system for the car. I can develop my own hardware as well. That is not the issue. I won't be doing the engine swap for several years. As I said before, right now I want to work on handling/ride/cosmetics.

Is there an available strut bar? If so...from where?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
FooBag
FooBag is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

There are strut bars available overseas that you would have to import. I believe Courtenay Sport in the UK carries these. I have more info saved on my work computer that I'll dig up on Monday for you.

Supposedly the Whiteline rear sway bar makes a huge difference, but I have yet to install mine. Again, you will probably have to import as last I heard, the US warehouse no longer stocks them.

2008 Astra XR3
2012 Silverado Crew Cab

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FooBag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FooBag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FooBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:09 AM   #11
blackastra
blackastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaturn View Post
I am a computer programmer. I can write up my own system for the car. I can develop my own hardware as well. That is not the issue. I won't be doing the engine swap for several years. As I said before, right now I want to work on handling/ride/cosmetics.

Is there an available strut bar? If so...from where?
Astra La Vista is right though, its way more work that it needs to be. I've looked into it so much before calling it quits. Not really much gain tbh.

As for what you want, start with suspension. Eibach makes a nice one for the Astra, I saw the same one on tirerack. For cosmetics, I recommend debadge the back and if you can, the front. Get eyelids for the headlights, and install HIDs and ,LEDS in the front headlights where there's room. Also wheels/window tint are a mandatory.

Upload a picture of your car when you get a chance too, and welcome!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
Tom S2
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR
Dizzy Re: All sorts of info

you cant make a silk purse....

Spend your time making money, and spend your money on a car that comes out of the box with the performance you want. by the time you are done you probaably could have bought a new toy-aru (or is it sub-ota) that comes from the factory with a better suspension, 200hp, LSD, etc. and, instead of prgramming, fitting, etc. you could have spent that time putting thousands of miles on the car.

Best of all, in the end when you get bored of it you can put it up on autotrader and sell it, then move on to the next toy.

Or, if on a budget, just get a GTI or Cooper. They come out of the box with a better setup than you will end up with. Also, much easier to get rid of.

But, that's the Spock like accountant in me talking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werks11 View Post
Tom why do you call him a hater troll? It's the truth ... there is really nothing that can be done to the North American Astra to improve performance that worth the money spent other then putting it on a bottle.
Did I confuse him with you?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
Werks11
Werks11 is on a distinguished road

Ok then....go right ahead and drop a "ford" crate motor in it then write the software to make it run. This SATURN site and others will be around to post everything you've done so we can all see.

Tom: Did I confuse you with a troll?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Werks11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Werks11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Werks11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Zaturn,

You have a few choices on front strutbars, you just have to know how to find it. Wiechers Sport produces

Opel Astra -H/TwinTop 1,6l Turbo 5
Part#_____ Retail Price (euros)
331035____87,00 (front strut bar steel)
332035____132,00 (front strut bar aluminum)
337035____149,00 (front strut bar aluminum racingline) <------ The one I want
337035C___285,00 (front strut bar aluminum racingline/carbon)

You can buy the one I highlighted from LMF for 137.82:

http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/image.php?type=D&id=541

Here is what it looks like installed:

Let's keep things on topic, guys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S2 View Post
Best of all, in the end when you get bored of it you can put it up on autotrader and sell it, then move on to the next toy.
This is an important point.

I spent "five figures" modifying an old 1962 Bug and turning it into a 5 second car. Aftermarket EFI... aftermarket turbo... stock VW boxer technology otherwise. 223 hp in an 1800 lb car that came from the factory with only 40 hp. A flat-four engine based on nineteen-thirties technology that was expected to last only 100,000 miles when built back in Wolfsburg, and my mods have dropped that down to probably only 20,000 miles before a rebuild will be necessary. Every inch of wiring in the car was laid out by hand and is 100% custom -- I even spent a weekend on my computer carefully constructing a colour wiring diagram for future use, and had to modify it every time I made a change. The car has no heat (a sacrifice needed due to engine mods) and has the fuel efficiency of a F-250. It has all sorts of little personal quirks and much of the car has to be disassembled in just such a way for me to get at the deeper bits. I even crafted my own intake and fuel rail system completely from scratch.

If I sold it today, I'd probably get whatever the going rate is per ton.

To the OP: if you're eventually planning on doing an engine swap, first and foremost, do it because you enjoy customizing cars... NOT because you want more HP. But if you have the skills to create the software and hardware for such a swap, why would you buy an aftermarket intake or strut bar when you could make one from scratch?

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

For the rear, Whiteline sells a RARB. They also sell front swaybar links.

Sway bar - 24mm heavy duty BHR75 Non adjustable US $235.07

Sway bar - 24mm heavy duty blade adjustable BHR75Z 2 point adjustable US $263.94

Sway bar - link kit heavy duty adj steel ball KLC154 US $167.70

Sway bar - link kit adj spherical rod end MOTORSPORT KLC054 US $ 184.40

These would be suitable if you went for coilovers.

I don't suggest a change to the Front anti-roll bar, especially if you add on a Rear anti-roll bar.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #17
Tom S2
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2BuzzBomb View Post
The clutch should outlast the car. The Astra is not a very well built vehicle, and the clutch is actually one of the strong points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2BuzzBomb View Post
OK, some clutches engage high in the motion and some low....further proof that the car was not designed/manufactured well and died in the market.

I understand the defensive posture since you folks own the car, but it was not a good car in Europe and it isn't a good car in the U.S.
Quote:
I don't understand why any Astra owners are on this Saturn site. You guys should have a site of your oun for North America. Oh wait you you did and it failed just as Saturn Astra sales.
Time for me to stop feeding the trolls.

OP, welcome to the Asta community.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
Astra La Vista!

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
I don't understand why any Astra owners are on this Saturn site. You guys should have a site of your oun for North America. Oh wait you you did and it failed just as Saturn Astra sales.

---

Tom you should be a lawyer, your good at showing one side of the coin.
If Tom is only showing one side of the coin, perhaps you wouldn't mind enlightening us by sharing the other side? Then perhaps we can understand the full meaning of the above quote.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #19
Tom S2
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
If Tom is only showing one side of the coin, perhaps you wouldn't mind enlightening us by sharing the other side? Then perhaps we can understand the full meaning of the above quote.
If one wants to see the whole post all one has to do is click on the little button to the right of the quoted persons name in the top left of the quote.

I'm willing to bet you already knew that.

BTW, did the VXR snorkel affect your gas mileage?

I just did a quick computation. If I gave my Astra away today it would have cost me less per mile to run (not counting gas or insurance) than any of my 6 Porsches, 2 BMWs, and probably 5 of my 7 RX7s. I think the two summers with my Miata cost less per mile, but Im not sure.

Last edited by Tom S2; 02-20-2012 at 09:27 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
Astra La Vista!

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
If one wants to see the whole post all one has to do is click on the little button to the right of the quoted persons name in the top left of the quote.

I'm willing to bet you already knew that.
Yes I did, but he never explained himself back on the original thread either. Trolling can get you banned.

Quote:
BTW, did the VXR snorkel affect your gas mileage?

I just did a quick computation. If I gave my Astra away today it would have cost me less per mile to run (not counting gas or insurance) than any of my 6 Porsches, 2 BMWs, and probably 5 of my 7 RX7s. I think the two summers with my Miata cost less per mile, but Im not sure.
Pinpointing any economy gains on the snorkel swap would be difficult. 90% of the kms I put on my car are highway, which means cruising at a pretty specific partial throttle. I didn't notice any gains when I did the swap, but someone that drives more city might (probably downward). Linking that little fact back to the original thread, I should never need to replace my clutch because I simply don't shift very often. Same is true for my brakes (80-90% lining still remaining, with 127,000 kms on the clock). Tires too (4-5mm tread remaining on the factory Hankooks after 110,000 kms, and maybe a millimetre of wear on my Nokian snows after 17,000 kms on those).

By far the cheapest car to maintain that I've ever owned, but I didn't always drive so many highway kms (about 50,000 per year).

PS: That "Astra-only website" was created and maintained by a single individual that did more to modify his Astra than anyone in North America. He swapped cams and intakes, but finally sold his car because he had run out of affordable options to milk any more power out of it. The site didn't "fail", he simply shut it down when he moved on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!