SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
matthew810
matthew810 is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Trans Cooler Lines

So I was replaiing the brakes in 98 SL2 and noticed a small trans leak near the radiator. Popped off the plastic cover and touched the line where it goes into bottom of the radiator and it starts coming out in a stream. Not sure how it lasted as long as it did in that condition. Anyway, here is where it gets fun. The line and nut where it screws into the radiator were really corroded and almost gone. The nut was almost gone and the line snapped in half about a 1/4 inch from the radiator just wiggling it around a bit. How do I remove the line from the radiator now. I can barely get a wrench on it and when I do its really stuck. I'm pretty good at basic stuff and can't get it to budge. I really don't want to have to remove the radiator and get a new one cause I cant remove a stupid cooler line but seem to be heading in that direction. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to matthew810's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help matthew810 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
matthew810 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
matthew810

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Trans Cooler Lines

One last thing. I read somewhere to just buy a aftermarket coolerand just bypass the radiator one. Not a bad quick solution but I don't want to do something that puts my trans in jeopardy. Its got 135k and still runs great, except for the oil consumption that evryone seems to have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help matthew810 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I would replace both the radiator and the lines. The radiator is in the fail at any time window now. Use a Silla or Delphi radiator and you will not have to replace it again. You will have to remove the radiator to get the line off and that will also probably crack the radiator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
matthew810

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Not what I was hoping to hear but I think I knew it was coming. Anything else you would replace along the way. Cooler lines and I figure hoses well I have it taken apart.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Heat it with a torch (very carefully), and put a vice-grip on there, as tight as you can squeeze it. You may be able to do that in the car, but it's a lot easier out.

Your best bet is a new radiator with new transmission lines. Partstrain.com has a very good price on the silla radiator, with a lifetime warranty. However, it will could take 2+ weeks to get it (they're shipping and customer service is horrible). If you can wait for it, their price cannot be beat.

If you're in a hurry, Amazon sells the Delphi radiator (not lifetime warranty, but comparable to the silla in quality) for a fair price (but still more than the silla, through partstrain).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Check Amazon and google for silla and delphi as there are many sellers any of which will have better customer service than Partstrain.

Amazon, Delphi RA1145 fits your car 75.00

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
outwiththeold
outwiththeold is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

I went to auto zone $100.00 for the radiator,trans lines from the chevrolet,$18.72 in stock,those lines are made in mexico and they are 1/2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outwiththeold's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outwiththeold reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outwiththeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwiththeold View Post
I went to auto zone $100.00 for the radiator,trans lines from the chevrolet,$18.72 in stock,those lines are made in mexico and they are 1/2.
At least the spectra from autozone has a lifetime warranty. Be sure to save the receipt because you will probably be taking advantage of that warranty...

Use some sort of neverseize on those trans cooler lines so you can get them off easier, when the time comes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Take advantage of the opportunity to do this during pleasant weather.

> " Use some sort of neverseize on those trans cooler lines so you can get them off easier, when the time comes. "

I agree... , and maybe spray paint the steel lines.
Some of the new articles have a coating of a thread-retaining plastic/mastic on the threads ... which demands care in assembly , to prevent cross-threads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
matthew810

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I ordered the one from partstrain. Was cheaper than anywhere else and had a warranty and Ican live without the car for a week or 2. Gives me a reason to drive(and put gas in) my dads F 150 that I bought from my mom when he passed. Thanks for all the advice on here. I will put some anti seize stuff on there for sure. Was thinking of wrapping the line with something to stop from happening again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew810 View Post
I ordered the one from partstrain.
Good luck with that! Please let us know how that works out for you.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #12
matthew810

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Ordered late Mon morn and already got a tracking number for the shipping so all seems well so far. Only strange thing is that they charged my card for the right amt and then a second charge for 1 dollar. Wierd. Have a email to them about it and will call if I don't hear back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew810 View Post
Ordered late Mon morn and already got a tracking number for the shipping so all seems well so far. Only strange thing is that they charged my card for the right amt and then a second charge for 1 dollar. Wierd. Have a email to them about it and will call if I don't hear back.
Don't do either--use the instant chat feature on the top of the website. I used their "call back" feature when calling about my order (after waiting on hold for ~20 minutes), and they called almost 5 hours later. Instant chat was always pretty quick (used it 3 times).

I ordered on a Thursday morning, I was promised it would ship same day or next day at the latest. Mine shipped on Tuesday (not 5 days later, 12 days later). I inquired twice, and each time I was told it would ship within 24 hours (didn't happen). When I mentioned that I had been promised that it would ship the same or next day, I was informed that I couldn't believe everything I was told, and that when ordering online (through any company), it normally takes a few weeks before things ship, and that they ship faster than most. Maybe I've just been really lucky, but I haven't found that to be the case with... any other company.

On the other hand, the product is good, and they did have the best price, by far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
matthew810

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

So got the part on Fri after ordering on Mon. Not to bad a turn around time. Funny thing is that I got a email from partstrain after I got the item saying the item was just shipped. Pretty funny. Taking out the old radiator and putting new one in was pretty easy. Got it all hooked up and all seems well. Haven't taken it for a long drive yet but it seems good to go. now I can give the wife back her Ion and get back to driving my SL2. I like the Ion but at 6'3 find the SL2 more comfy to drive. Thanks for all on here for help and advice. I would use partstrain again and am happy with their parts. If i needed something quicker I may just use the local Murrays or Auto Zone but since I didn't need it that quick it great.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!