SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Zosozeppelin
Advanced Member
Zosozeppelin is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default All sorts of crazy stuff going on with a 2001 SC

So I got a text message from my boyfriend saying that his SC is acting up. It said "I was parked a few minutes ago and it acted like I was stepping on the accelerator. It jumped to over 2,000 RPMS and I couldn't figure out what was going on. Also the temperature gauge jumps pretty high when I'm idling and it causes the A/C to heat up like it's going out. I looked up the thing about the A/C and people said it could possibly be a fan or some kind of coolant." He also said that the "strange downward pointing arrow light is on", which if I'm not mistaken is a coolant light. I'm thinking his coolant levels are really low and as a result he's running the car hot. Opinions?

Elizabeth

'06 Level 3 Quad Coupe. 140K as of 5-3-15. Traded for 2015 Chevy SS. Gone but not forgotten.

Current: 2017 2LT/RS 50th Anniversary Camaro

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zosozeppelin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zosozeppelin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zosozeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2
Default Re: All sorts of crazy stuff going on with a 2001 SC

Yea, that's your low coolant light. You might be leaking coolant. The usual places are at the connection to the radiator on the driver side, the water pump, or the heater core. If it was the heater core, you'd smell a sweet smell inside the car.

The jump in idle could be a vacuum leak around the engine. You could spray some brake cleaner around the small hoses around the intake and see if the idle changes. If it does change, you've found your leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Zosozeppelin
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I'm suprised that if there is a vaccum leak that his SES light didn't go off. Mine sure did when I threw the P0442 code. Maybe it is, I haven't seen the car so I don't know which lights are going off besides the coolant light, if any are at all. He was saying that the coolant light has been randomly going on and off for a few weeks, so I bet there was an actual error. He did just take it on a really long trip which could have stressed the car.

Elizabeth

'06 Level 3 Quad Coupe. 140K as of 5-3-15. Traded for 2015 Chevy SS. Gone but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zosozeppelin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

What model is the car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
Zosozeppelin
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

2001 sc1

Elizabeth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Third-gen SOHC - VERY common issue is an intake manifold gasket failure, constituting a vacuum leak. See ShawnV's instruction above about the brake cleaner spray, but focus on the joint edge between the intake manifold and cylinder head.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
Zosozeppelin
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Reading up on the SOHC engines, apparently coolant loss isn't at all uncommon. Apparently the earlier ones up to 1998 had horrible issues with it:

1992 through 1998 L24 Cylinder heads developed issues with cracks developing in the fifth camshaft journal, located closest to #4 cylinder. The hairline crack would develop between the oil feed port of that journal and the coolant passages in the cylinder head. Symptoms would range from overheating to to low coolant, however, most cars affected by this issue exhibited oil migration into the cooling system. The resulting mixture of the two fluids would result in a thick brown "milkshake"-like mixture, visible in the coolant overflow tank.

Talk about scary!

Elizabeth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
madpogue

1996 SW2

Well, there was no such thing as an L24 cylinder head in 1992, or '93 or '94. That aside, the SOHC head did have tendency to crack. But that wouldn't cause a high idle. And it's known to cause oil/coolant commingling in both directions. Both, of course, are detectable. You would know by now if there were coolant in the oil or vice-versa.

What hasn't been answered yet - is the coolant level actually low?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Zosozeppelin
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Well, there was no such thing as an L24 cylinder head in 1992, or '93 or '94. That aside, the SOHC head did have tendency to crack. But that wouldn't cause a high idle. And it's known to cause oil/coolant commingling in both directions. Both, of course, are detectable. You would know by now if there were coolant in the oil or vice-versa.

What hasn't been answered yet - is the coolant level actually low?
Well, that was a Wikipedia copy and paste lol. And I have no idea about the level of the coolant, he hasn't told me and there's physically no way I can get to the car anytime soon because he's in Texas at the moment and I'm in Louisiana. I'll have him look and tell me. I wish he'd make an account on here that way he didn't have to use me to talk to y'all. I have no clue what goes on with the S-Series, only the Ion. He's not driving it, and I told him if he replaces the coolant that it needs to be Dex-Cool (At least I know that's what my Ion can only have), but he hasn't gotten a coolant flush. It's parked at the moment.

Elizabeth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
Zosozeppelin
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

They added anti freeze to it

Elizabeth

Last edited by Zosozeppelin; 03-27-2011 at 11:38 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!