SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Chapps34
Chapps34 is on a distinguished road

Question Please help! All sorts of problems...

So recently, maybe past 3 months, these issues have arisen all together. The car has driven great and I don't have performance issues or ride issues. These are the problems:
-When Idling at a stop(or in park) it will rev up a few hundred(not thousand) more RPMs really quick, like I tapped the gas peddle. It happens every minute or so. It is enough to move the car forward, at first, but now I'm used to holding the brake harder.

-The parking lights, fog lights, and maybe all head lights, flicker like crazy when I'm out of park and in gear and they are in the off position. It also makes a weird clicking noise when flickering. When I'm in park they don't do it, so when I'm driving I just flick the switch to the middle running lights setting and they are fine, then the headlights/fog lights/blinkers work great at night as well. Really weird. I do have aftermarket(but dealer installed) fog lights but whether they are on or off they don't fix or hurt the problem.

-The car will overheat if I sit in a fast food line for too long, I can watch the gauge move up and then once driving it goes right back to normal, but the other day it actually overheated with some smoke because I was in traffic in LA and so I had to pull over and add some coolant and wait for traffic to lighten up.

My car is a 2004 ION 2 with 50,040 miles and my warranty just ended this summer!! NOOOOO!! SO please advise with any tips or recomendations you may have to check out. I'm thinking about getting an extended warranty soon as well so if you have reccomendations as to which of the tens of companies out there I'd really appreciate it!

Concerned Saturn Driver!
John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chapps34's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chapps34 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chapps34 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
Chapps34
Chapps34 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Please help! All sorts of problems...

I'm thinking it is all one electrical issue, like a fuse or relay or maybe the CPU??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chapps34's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chapps34 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chapps34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
chilipepper1327
chilipepper1327 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapps34 View Post
So recently, maybe past 3 months, these issues have arisen all together. The car has driven great and I don't have performance issues or ride issues. These are the problems:
-When Idling at a stop(or in park) it will rev up a few hundred(not thousand) more RPMs really quick, like I tapped the gas peddle. It happens every minute or so. It is enough to move the car forward, at first, but now I'm used to holding the brake harder.

-The parking lights, fog lights, and maybe all head lights, flicker like crazy when I'm out of park and in gear and they are in the off position. It also makes a weird clicking noise when flickering. When I'm in park they don't do it, so when I'm driving I just flick the switch to the middle running lights setting and they are fine, then the headlights/fog lights/blinkers work great at night as well. Really weird. I do have aftermarket(but dealer installed) fog lights but whether they are on or off they don't fix or hurt the problem.

-The car will overheat if I sit in a fast food line for too long, I can watch the gauge move up and then once driving it goes right back to normal, but the other day it actually overheated with some smoke because I was in traffic in LA and so I had to pull over and add some coolant and wait for traffic to lighten up.

My car is a 2004 ION 2 with 50,040 miles and my warranty just ended this summer!! NOOOOO!! SO please advise with any tips or recomendations you may have to check out. I'm thinking about getting an extended warranty soon as well so if you have reccomendations as to which of the tens of companies out there I'd really appreciate it!

Concerned Saturn Driver!
John
"-When Idling at a stop(or in park) it will rev up a few hundred(not thousand) more RPMs really quick, like I tapped the gas peddle. It happens every minute or so. It is enough to move the car forward, at first, but now I'm used to holding the brake harder."
You probably have a vacuum issue here. Check carefully around the engine for worn or simply fallen off hoses.

"-The car will overheat if I sit in a fast food line for too long, I can watch the gauge move up and then once driving it goes right back to normal, but the other day it actually overheated with some smoke because I was in traffic in LA and so I had to pull over and add some coolant and wait for traffic to lighten up."
Sounds like your fans are not working at all. They should work when the temp. of the engine reaches a certain point regardless if the engine is running or not.

"-The parking lights, fog lights, and maybe all head lights, flicker like crazy when I'm out of park and in gear and they are in the off position. It also makes a weird clicking noise when flickering. When I'm in park they don't do it, so when I'm driving I just flick the switch to the middle running lights setting and they are fine, then the headlights/fog lights/blinkers work great at night as well. Really weird. I do have aftermarket(but dealer installed) fog lights but whether they are on or off they don't fix or hurt the problem."
There is a short in your system somewhere. The short is causing a relay to click open and close and this is the clicking you are hearing. Take your car to a competant trouble shooter for the light issues.
Try disconnecting your battery for 10 minutes to reset the computer. Saturns are known for computer issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

no, they aren't, it could be an ECU, or your TPS, revving it like that could be causing the overheating. I would get your car scanned and/or checked out with a tech 2 to rule out the ECU.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote