SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Information Vauxhall Astra Owner's Manual PDF

Found this the other day on Rapidshare. It is the 286 page owner's manual for the European Astras. Kind of a depressing read actually, when you discover all of the cool features that they got and we didn't (like electric folding mirrors and adaptive forward lighting). Oh wait, we got OnStar.

Rapidshare link. It's about 4.9 MB in size.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
captainzerocool
captainzerocool is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Vauxhall Astra Owner's Manual PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
Oh wait, we got OnStar.
On what?

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/captainzerocool/astra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to captainzerocool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help captainzerocool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
captainzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
Found this the other day on Rapidshare. It is the 286 page owner's manual for the European Astras. Kind of a depressing read actually, when you discover all of the cool features that they got and we didn't (like electric folding mirrors and adaptive forward lighting). Oh wait, we got OnStar.

Rapidshare link. It's about 4.9 MB in size.
They all dont get the folding mirrors, very few models actually, but it is retrofitable, and its actually not expensive to retrofit, and the beauty of it also, is that for cars with the leather seats, thus having the door courtesy lights, the harness in there might already have the pins for the folding mirrors. Cause theres only a few variations of that harness. Over there some of them get lucky and have the harness even if they dont have the lights. We arent so lucky here. I did check, I dont have the door courtesy lights so its the more basic harness and I had to of course add in the wiring for those. If I had the lights the wiring for that would be in it, and sometimes they use the harness that has the folding mirrors connection, even if you dont have them. Someone with the lights can take off their tweeter and snap a pic and I would know easily if we have it or not

If you dont have it though like in my case, you can easily change the harness and retrofit the mirrors if you really wanted em

The afl however gets a little more costly to retrofit. You can do it, though , but isnt cheap either, although its not as expensive as some retrofits. For something not overly necessary would be on the lower end of my list.

Someone with leather seats from factory take off your tweeter and snap a pic of the wiring harness for the door there, so we can see it and figure out if electric windows is an even cheaper retrofit for us over here

They also get the tpms on the screen (for the very select few that have tpms) and I meant to try this and forgot. (thats also retrofittable for them but requires swapping a couple of parts to get it to work and is bit of an effort also, but doable) Might give it a go soon (getting the readout on my screen) if I can get saturn to cooperate with me and program what I ask them to in tech2. Its like breaking their arm to ask them to do anything like that for me Now if I had my own tech2 tool I'd be in my glee. The things i could do with that. cant justify a few G's for one though!

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
outtafocus
outtafocus is on a distinguished road

When I first picked up my car I began looking for how to see my tire pressures.

My Caliber had real time TPMS so I could see what each tire had for pressure. I think its very odd that our BC cant display this info.

Another thing I would like to add if we can figure out how.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outtafocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outtafocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outtafocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
outtafocus
outtafocus is on a distinguished road

Any one else notice how the tow attachment looks a little phallic?

I had a laugh.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outtafocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outtafocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outtafocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
Audi Junkie
Audi Junkie is on a distinguished road

How do I open a .rar file? I thought it was a pdf?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Audi Junkie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Audi Junkie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Audi Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:23 AM   #7
bone151
bone151 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

you should be able to download from Vauxhall directly. also, if you go to the home page, you'll see the new Astra on sale. expensive.

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vaux/owner...do?method=view

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bone151's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bone151 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bone151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:33 AM   #8
Toto
Toto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone151 View Post
you should be able to download from Vauxhall directly. also, if you go to the home page, you'll see the new Astra on sale. expensive.

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vaux/owner...do?method=view
Not really. If you compare the price with the competitors the only car that is cheaper is the old Ford Focus, at least in Germany. Also the new Astra has the lowest Insurance classification, combined with new small displacement engines (our tax system is now based on CO2 emissions) you can save up to 2,000-3,000 Euro in five years of ownership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Toto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Toto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #9
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road

Altough it's often unfair to translate foreign prices into your own currency, the starting price of the new Astra is the same as the price for a 2009 1.7 CDTI Enjoy. The new Astra is quite alot larger and more modern, so it's not a bad price, probably. But I am a bit weary still, Vauxhall have a habit of creating alot of trim levels resulting in the base model being very basic.

In Germany and UK, there are no less than fiftheen different trim levels for the Insignia, most of which have only minute differences, like the Vx-trim Elite, Elite 4x4, Elite Nav or Elite Nav 4x4. The only difference is a 4x4-system and/or that it's got integrated navigation, both accessories the customer can order himself. Up here and the rest of Europe (I checked FI, NO, NL, FR and ES) there's only 4 trims to start from and you pick the bits and pieces you like yourself.

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEL Blitz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
Toto
Toto is on a distinguished road

Nope, we have only 5 trim levels (Selection, Edition, Sport, Cosmo and OPC). Only if we combine the 4-door, 5-door and sports tourer we get 15 trim levels.

Btw, the DVD Navigation is only on the base trim level (Selection) a option.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Toto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Toto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #11
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Junkie View Post
How do I open a .rar file? I thought it was a pdf?
.rar is a container file, very much like .zip. You can use freeware like jZip to open it.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Nope, we have only 5 trim levels (Selection, Edition, Sport, Cosmo and OPC). Only if we combine the 4-door, 5-door and sports tourer we get 15 trim levels.

Btw, the DVD Navigation is only on the base trim level (Selection) a option.
Actually Vauxhall refers to it as 15 different trims, altough I understand your point. What I dont get however is why there needs to be a Elite Nav edition (I think edition is a better word) in the first place, it makes little sense to me.

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEL Blitz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #13
cindycated
cindycated is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layoira View Post
Now if I had my own tech2 tool I'd be in my glee. The things i could do with that. cant justify a few G's for one though!
I'm gonna start buying lottery tickets so I can buy you one--that would be awesome! ...but you'd have to tweak my ride too!

Cindy
Astra XR5, Star Silver, Sunroof, Auto Trans, Sport Handling Pkg, Advanced Audio Pkg, Heated Seats

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cindycated's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cindycated reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cindycated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycated View Post
I'm gonna start buying lottery tickets so I can buy you one--that would be awesome! ...but you'd have to tweak my ride too!
Omg if I had one of those the stuff I could do for our Astras!

Haha I can see it now. Saturn Fans Lottery Pool to buy a tech2 haha. Mail it all around so people could use it lol.

Too bad that wouldnt work

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote