SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
journeyman615
journeyman615 is on a distinguished road

Default High Idle Speed 2002 SL1

I have a 2002 SL1 with automatic transmission that when in park idles at around 1800-2000 RPM's and at a stop light idles high at around 1100 RPM's with the ole foot holding on the brake. There are no trouble codes and I have taken off the idle air control valve and cleaned it. Still had same problem. Went and got another used IAC valve and still have the problem just not as frequently. It kicks in after about 1/2 hour of driving and then when I turn off the car it goes away for about 1/2 hour. Any help?

As a side note, I just recently did have a DTC for low coolant temp and replaced the sensor. Came right back and just replaced the thermostat and it seemed to do the trick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to journeyman615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help journeyman615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
journeyman615 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: High Idle Speed 2002 SL1

Most common high-idle on a gen-3 SOHC is an intake manifold gasket leak (constitutes a vacuum leak). It's "congenital" - many were built with a wrinkle in the gasket. Test - start engine and run/drive until idle races. With idle racing, spray brake cleaner (almost anything will do, but brake cleaner is clean stuff) along the mating edge between the intake manifold and cylinder head, esp. around the #1 runner. If the idle changes, that indicates the engine is sucking in the spray, indicating a leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
journeyman615
journeyman615 is on a distinguished road

Thanks a ton! I will try that and if it doesnt work move onto something else. Appreciate the quick response.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to journeyman615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help journeyman615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
journeyman615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
TunasTwins
TunasTwins is on a distinguished road

I still think you have an IAC issue. Does it change when you turn the AC on and off? Sometimes doing this has made my IAC stop sticking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TunasTwins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TunasTwins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TunasTwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunasTwins View Post
I still think you have an IAC issue. Does it change when you turn the AC on and off? Sometimes doing this has made my IAC stop sticking.
Unlikely. Especially after having replace the original one.

+1 Bad intake manifold gasket.

My how to: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115925

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

+1^^^^Intake gasket leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Most common high-idle on a gen-3 SOHC is an intake manifold gasket leak (constitutes a vacuum leak). It's "congenital" - many were built with a wrinkle in the gasket. Test - start engine and run/drive until idle races. With idle racing, spray brake cleaner (almost anything will do, but brake cleaner is clean stuff) along the mating edge between the intake manifold and cylinder head, esp. around the #1 runner. If the idle changes, that indicates the engine is sucking in the spray, indicating a leak.
Mine was on the bottom of the gasket right by the powersteering pump. I used starting fluid and the engine raced when I found the gap. The How-to above is spot-on.

Some light reading:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...lve%2Fdiagnose

Everything that is listed that can happen to a 3rd gen SOHC happened to mine, one at a time. I'd make an afternoon of it and clean you throttle body while you are at it.

Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velleguy73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velleguy73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
apillon
apillon is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
That's it!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to apillon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help apillon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
apillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:33 AM   #9
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

When replacing the intake gasket make sure you get all old gasket material off the head and intake manifold, After all the old gasket is removed wipe he area down with acetone to remove oil and dirt so the new gasket will make a good seal and repair the leak.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
Cruzer32
Cruzer32 has a spectacular aura aboutCruzer32 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunasTwins View Post
Yup, same issue mine had after changing the intake gasket.
In the summer months when the AC is continually on/off, no problem. The issue comes back in the winter months.

I'm thinking it's IAC related, but it only happens when it's too damn cold to work on it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cruzer32's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cruzer32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cruzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote