SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
cali_saturn
cali_saturn is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 L200 issues.. WHAT AM I MISSING???

OK, got a 2001 l200 handed down to me and it never had problems till now.
Driving last night, making a left and BAM engine dies, electrical remains on (headlights, radio, etc.) When I pull over it cranks but will not start. After much help from the search bar I do the usual fix for these symptoms.

Replaced CPS, Replaced TPS, unhooked battery to see if needed a reset that way, soft reset on security system to see if that was the issue...

What am I missing? Is this a timing chain?? How do I check? How do you check spark on this motor with that weird single coil pack?

Someone also mentioned O2 sensor or backed up cat, is that possible?

Thanks for the help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cali_saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cali_saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cali_saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 L200 issues.. WHAT AM I MISSING???

The way to test spark is to remove the coil pack, remove the plugs and put them back into the coil pack boots, find a way to ground one or all the plugs, and with the coil pack still connected to its wiring harness you can now have someone crank the engine while observing for spark. Since you replaced the cps this leaves the ECM and the ignition coilpacks. If the cps is working, the coils should spark as the engine is cranked.

Have you checked for fuel and pressure at the fuel rail? When the ignition key is turned to the ON/RUN position the fuel pump will run for approximately 2-3 seconds then shutdown. You may hear the faint hiss/hum of the fuel pump and can repeat this several times to listen for the fuel pump cycling. Then locate the fuel rail and cover it with a rag as you depress the valve stem for an expected healthy spray of fuel. If not, then you'll have to locate the fuel pump fuse and relay. Check to be sure the pump fuse is OK and substitute the relay with another one in the fuse box.

Perhaps you flooded the engine over this period of time and the best thing for a flooded engine is to floor the gas pedal, keeping the throttle wide open as you crank the engine again. Only this time the fuel is cutoff, long enough for the engine to clear out and if everythings OK the ignition will take place and start the engine. Release the pedal unless you want to rebuild the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
L100andSW2
L100andSW2 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1995 SW2

My only experience like this was when the fuel pump failed while driving home. AAA, tow truck to the shop ended up as my fix. Happened at around 120,000 miles on the odo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L100andSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L100andSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L100andSW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:01 AM   #4
cali_saturn
cali_saturn is on a distinguished road

fdryer: tested fuel pump that was giving me heathy fuel supply. Fuse is fine, I'll switch the relay tomorrow. Never thought about flooding it.... Sometimes you don't think of the obvious i guess

L100: thanks for the info.. I'm pretty sure the pump is fine but I could be wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cali_saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cali_saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cali_saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:35 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

By finding the fuel pump pressure is spraying OK, confirms the fuel pump relay is working also, so there's no need to replace it. The problem remains with ignition/spark.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote