SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
jagjaeger
jagjaeger is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 l200 Starting issues

Hello Everyone, great site.

My girlfriend just bought a 2001 l200 about a month ago. Just recently its having starting issues. It'll crank but not turn over.
This started happening when she took it to the dealer to get a keyless entry. Ever since they programmed it, it started having these problems.

She will be able to start it, drive and once she turns it off, it wont start again until the next morning.
Fuel pump fuses seem fine and I believe I can hear the pump pressuring.
Also, I got one of those autozone code readers and there are no codes coming accross.

After reading through the site, I learned that it could be the fuel pump, CPS, or the BCM.

Im not that great of a mechanic but im a quick learner, what would be the first place you would start.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jagjaeger; 10-30-2007 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: forgot to add

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jagjaeger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jagjaeger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jagjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 l200 Starting issues

1-You need to clarify what type of keyless entry system is installed, A Saturn factory one or an aftermarket one.

2- Is there an owner's manual? It will be very important if there's a problem with (presuming) the Saturn Passlock II anti-theft system is enabled. There's a security light that flashes in either the tach or the speedometer with an oversize lock over a car icon.

3-Depending on what the car has from the above can have several issues from interference with the aftermarket keyless entry and Saturn's anti-theft system, ignition switch problems with the anti-theft system/BCM, or just a crank position sensor (CPS) problem.

The simplest problem would be the cps to troubleshoot; removing the coil wires and having someone crank the engine while you observe the coils for sparking should show sparking but when the problem shows up do this again and if there aren't any sparks then the cps is failing intermittently. In this case your description indicates the failure occurring after the engine is warm. If so, replace the cps, above and behind the starter - mounted with one 10mm bolt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:55 PM   #3
jagjaeger

It's the factory keyless.
She just called me and it wont start again, she did take notice that everytime it wouldn't start she's been on an incline with 1/2 tank of gas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jagjaeger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
jagjaeger

Update
I changed the CPS 4 days ago and I thought everthing was groovy but it won't start again and still no computer codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You're not being more explicit; does the engine crank and not fire up or not crank at all? Can you hear the fuel pump run for 2-3 seconds when the ignition key is left in the ON/RUN position? It will hum very quietly or hiss so you'll have to listen carefully or do this several times cycling the key from OFF to ON. To be sure the fuel pump is pressurizing you can locate the fuel rail test valve (same as the tire valve), remove the cap, cover the valve stem with a rag and depress the valve stem - there should be a healthy spray of fuel coming out. No spray may possibly be a faulty fuel pump relay, loose fuel pump fuse, clogged fuel filter (changed @100k miles?) or wiring issues from corrosion, accident, chaffed harness from work on the engine, etc.. There are spark plug issues, plug wires, coils, ignition module to consider too.

A no cranking of the starter issue may be from a dead/dying battery, faulty ignition switch/wiring, corroded battery cables, loose or worn belt tensioner (squealing), and poor grounding of the negative cable. Where would you like to start?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #6
jagjaeger

Sorry Fdryer for the lack of info,
The car finally stopped for 2 days and I had a chance to do the evaluation.

The car cranks but doesn't turn over, it sounds like it's not getting fuel.
I can hear the fuel pump charge up and gas sprays pretty good from valve stem.
The battery isn't dead or dying, the lights are very strong and the car turns over hard, just doesn't start.

I couldn't find any blown fuses and I didn't know how to test the relay.
I've already replaced the CPS to no avail

It seems that ever since she got a new key fob from saturn and they programed it, the car started doing this. It's probably just coincidence but a conspiracy mind is at work

Is there a way I can test or bypass the security system to see if it's the dreaded computer issue before I have it towed to Saturn?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Please, no need to apologize. Feedback on a problem may take time, whatever the circumstances. Apparently the problem persists but you're better with the last descriptive post.

To sum it up -

1-There's fuel and pressure to the fuel rail. The fuel pump relay is working and doesn't need to be replaced or troubleshot.

2-Replacing the cps didn't solve the problem.

The next question is to ask if you tried the coil spark test by removing the coil wires and having someone crank the engine while you observe the coil towers for arcing. The cps replacement would fix one problem but there's still the ignition module and the two coils that are attached to the ignition module to troubleshoot. The cps supplies signal data as long as the engine rotates; the PCM uses the cps signal to initiate ignition timing for the spark plugs, turns on the fuel pump, and allows injector pulses. So a new cps should allow the PCM to generate spark, the coil test suggested. You already know that the fuel pump and fuel pressure are available to the injectors, leaving the ignition system and the injectors to be tested. The coil test is to ensure that the ignition module is operating to apply timed signals from the PCM to generate the high voltage for the spark plugs. Seeing the spark across the coils while cranking the engine assures that the ignition module and both coils are working. The injectors are controlled by the PCM and doesn't need to be checked at this time. As to bypassing the anti-theft system, this is not so easy to do.

If there's a factory anti-theft system it would have to be the Passlock vehicle anti-theft system to disable the fuel pump and injectors. The car should have a security icon (an oversized padlock over a car) either in the tach or speedometer that flashes when the system is armed. During a start-up the security light should be off but if for any reason the light is on during starting or when the ignition key is released back to the ON/RUN position then the anti-theft system is enabled and the engine won't fire up at all. read the last sentence over until you understand it. If the security light remains on then your description of continuous cranking w/o the engine firing up is an indication of the Passlock system preventing the engine from running. Ignore the red battery light and red oil light. It won't prevent you from cranking away until the battery dies or the starter burns out but the engine will never fire-up. If the security light is on/flashing after turning the ignition key to OFF you'll have to go through the timed procedure to reset the anti-theft system. It may require reading the owner's manual, looking up the procedure here in the How-to Tips library or someone may remember the exact procedure and respond. I've had my Passlock system inadvertently lock me out of my car several times and have the procedure down so I won't be upset the next time it happens. The reason for mine triggering is my impatience with the aftermarket remote start. Both, remote start and Passlock, work flawlessly until I "interfere" with the remote start sequence instead of simply pressing the brake pedal to interrupt the sequence. Be sure that the anti-theft system indicator is off when starting the car. Review the owner's manual if you have to as the manual has the procedure to reset the anti-theft system if its activated and disabling the car from starting.

On another note, the keyless remote (not aftermarket) also arms the Passlock anti-theft system while simultaneously allowing locking/unlocking of doors. An aftermarket keyless remote may/may not arm/disarm the factory anti-theft system w/o modification by using bypass modules to circumvent the anti-theft system. It must work flawlessly otherwise the anti-theft system may activate from interference and lock out the driver from starting his/her own car. Another reason to read and understand the reset procedures for the anti-theft system and to know when the security light is on, either in the armed mode or when its activated, disabling the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
jagjaeger

Crumbs...

The security light doesn't turn off and i've followed the owners book instructions on bypassing it but it wont turn off.

The book says to turn the key to ON and press the alarm button 4 times in five seconds and then immediatly press unlock to turn the system off.
I heard the chirp like the book says but the security light still flashes and the car doesn't start.
I've even tried resyncing the remote to be on the safe side, still nothing.

The keyless remote is direct from saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2007, 12:36 AM   #9
jagjaeger

Well, I had it towed to saturn and sure enough it's the (BCM) Body control Modual. 580 bones later it's up and driving.

Thanks for all your help in getting this solved.
Jag

REWARD EXCELLENCE!